Can We Talk About Small Towns & Big Cities?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am thinking seriously of moving from this big city to a small town. I would love to hear from people who have done this, and whether it turned out to be a good idea.

I would also like to hear from people who have moved from a small town to a big city, and how that worked out.

I have lived in a small town before, a university town, with most shopping, churches, etc., all near the main street. The town I am considering now is smaller, and more spread out, than the college town; but of course less spread out than the city. And it has more grass and trees. I am so tired of pavement and massive buildings and endless construction! And craziness.

Reactions: Cumberland

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I moved from Manchester to a small Welsh village.
I never thought how much I'd stand out as a stranger in town.
After having lived there a while I would notice a stranger instantly in the street so began to understand it.
I now live in an even smaller Welsh village and love living out here.
Lived like this now for over thirty years.
Foxes badgers rabbits hares polecats buzzards geese ducks pheasants and more are on the road kill list.
The moths and butterflies and bees .... yes bees are in abundance along with wild flowers field mushrooms forests cliff tops and beaches never far away even though I live in the hills.
When I go visit family back in Manchester I get within ten miles of the airport and the air is thick with petrol and diesel fumes something I never noticed whilst living there.
The noise is dreadful.
The roads are so slow and so busy .... nearly all the roads around me are 60 mph so different driving experience daily.
I love the hills the mountains the clear air the peace and quiet and could never live in a city again comfortably.
The silence at night was difficult to get used to at first.
Couldn't sleep because of it.
You can hear the wildlife. Even in the daytime I can hear the flapping of wings from a bird as small as a sparrow.
The butcher is part of a farming family and you get to eat things that were looking over the fence at you not so long back.
Very tasty.
It's the village life for me.

Reactions: Cumberland

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I was born in a Lakeland village loved it

I live close to Carlisle now it’s hardly a big place and lots of countryside all around

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Little villages aren't for everyone.
Yes everyone does know who you are what you are presumes what you're not and even know what you buy what you eat who your GP is where your kids go to school.
I'm laid back and don't as a rule find it to intrusive or overpowering.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Actually where I am living now can't even be considered a village as it has no church so is technically a hamlet.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lived in a big city - Birmingham in the good old Midlands. I loved living there. I loved in a couple of suburbs and found life was interesting due to the variety of people there. People were friendly, shopping was great and there are always good travel networks.

Then I moved to Wales. Their second city. It was Ok but it wasnt 'home'. It was abeautiful place to look at but I was targeted fro being English so 5 years later I moved again to a small town in the Midlands which was as close as I could get to 'home' without it being home. It's ok here. I'm in a small area on the side of a nature reserve. I'm a mile out of town and about 4 miles from the out of town retail park. The only problem I have here is the neighbours. Not very pleasant people, although they probably think the same of us hee hee.

Oh and wherever you move to make sure there isnt a school too close by as the parents seem to think it is their given right to park wherever they please even if it is on corners, over driveways, on pavements, over dropped kerbs. (Can you tell I live by a school?)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wolfie11969 yes. It sounds like high schools here during football season. Or university towns. Yikes! :(

One of the towns I'm considering is a university town. And there is a school nearby, but not right in the same neighborhood, and the apartment building I'm considering has private parking -- but not gated or anything ... but I don't have a car so I wouldn't have to worry about my parking space being taken.

The other place I'm considering is nowhere near any of the town schools. It's just up a really steep mountainside from the nearest grocery store!

stevenkpalmer

I have lived in some really big cities- Tokyo, London, Birmingham, Cebu (philippines) and in a smallish village in the UK, where I spent my teenage years. Since the age of 30 I have lived in a small town by the coast here in the UK.
I would say village life is not good for teenagers- its so boring. Big city living is great when you are a young single adult with a bit of money.there is plenty to do and loads of people to meet.
As a young parent I enjoyed small town life especially near the sea where the air is clean and there are a few things to do.
As a retired guy I love seaside living with the sunshine golf , sailing and ling walks. Not so good for jobs though.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I'm a pensioner from Manchester living in North Wales for thirty odd years.
Had a small holding on Anglesey thirty years ago with ducks pigs goats geese chickens and loved it.
I now live in a very small village part way up some big hills that are apparently mountains and I love it.
Could never go back to city living.
Can't get a kebab at 2a.m but would I really want one?
I go to visit family and within ten miles of Manchester airport I can smell and taste petrol and diesel.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a small holding on Anglesey thirty years ago with ducks pigs goats geese chickens and loved it.
I now live in a very small village part way up some big hills that are apparently mountains and I love it.
I go to visit family and within ten miles of Manchester airport I can smell and taste petrol and diesel.

I would have to be more careful of my shopping list because, unlike here, I could not just walk over to the store whenever I ran out of cat food. On the other hand, whenever I went to the store I would only have to decide what to buy, not how to avoid the craziness that exists here.

The uni town might have both -- less craziness than here and nearly the same convenience.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I didn't realise I'd already posted in this topic!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JTL I enjoy reading your descriptions of life in your village. It sounds a bit like the one I'm thinking about moving to -- different part of the world but towns here were often founded by people from there, so maybe the towns and villages aren't all that different ... :)

Pilgrimmick

I live near a small village if that counts! Grew up in Newcastle, then lived around the South of England when serving in the Army, now live on the West coast of Scotland, can honestly say the pace of life is different, did not wear a watch for ten years, only started wearing a smart watch for heart rate and alarm functions etc.
Most activity is based on weather and daylight rather than time!

Well that was true until last week when Type 1 entered my life. Will have to see how it works now.