Will YOU ask your Dr for the 600 cal diet

Will you see your Dr about the 600 cal diet?

• Yes

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 40 30.5%
  • I don't need to - I'm happy with low carb

Votes: 25 19.1%
  • I don't need to - I'm happy with low GI

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I don't need to - I'm happy - other

Votes: 10 7.6%

• Total voters

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
noblehead said:
After reading that Ian I would imagine you'll have no interest in asking your own Dr about the diet?

Nigel
I voted: "I don't need to - I'm happy with low carb" as I consider that I have achieved the aims of the 600 cal diet without the dangers.

I will mention it to my Dr - he's very interested in my results & very supportive.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Blogs? Really?

pianoman said:
Why do you think even Dr Taylor of the Newcastle study recommends only doing this kind of diet under medical supervision?

For the same reason that they put "Warning! Contents may be HOT!" on paper coffee cups.
Some people are just stupid.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst I totally agree that medical supervision is important, I really don't see Jennys comparison with the Minnesota starvation study is valid. The men on that were normal weight, the diet was designed to make them lose 25% of it in a short time, rations were like those eaten in war torn Europe ie ' i.e., @potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, dark bread, and macaroni.' Rations were adjusted normally downwards as they lost weight. They had to walk 22 miles a week + work and expend 3000 calories a day. They were then locked in a windowless dormitory that they called their 'cage' overnight. No wonder it affected them psychologically!

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/6/1347.full

pianoman

phoenix said:
Whilst I totally agree that medical supervision is important, I really don't see Jennys comparison with the Minnesota starvation study is valid. ...
Does that mean you discount all of the studies linked by Jenny and the other blog poster?

---

When making an informed decision I want to be aware of all the potential risks and benefits of a given approach.

C

catherinecherub

According to the poll, 135 people were going to ask their G.P. about this diet.

I would love to know some of the responses they got.

ernie100

Hi I am doing the diet, almost at 2 weeks into it.
Sent the actual paper to my GP, he agreed for me to try it and then had blood test after one week. My Doctor is keeping an eye on me and am due to see him in 1 weeks time.
I have to admit that that I ma not strictly following the diet in that not having 3 shakes a day. (too sweat and very processed stuff)..but 1 or two...but having 2 or 3 largeplates of raw/ cooked veg or salads using low starch products. Am supporting my liver with milk thistle, multi vitamins and omega 3 fish oil. I dont know what the calorie count is but loading up with fresh produce......after 9 days lost 6 kilos, my fasting bg has dropped from 7.5 to 5.2 and my glucose plasma is 6...Post meal +2 hours varies between 5.9 and 7.2

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
According to the poll, 135 people were going to ask their G.P. about this diet.
I would love to know some of the responses they got.

GP "Leave the paper work i will get back to you "

Week later GP
"Well I cant see why not
We will keep the dist nurse taking your bloods weekly
stay with urine sample same day , I will run a few bloods before you start .
I want to see the new pain killer to settle down first :roll:
like you to email me daily BG and your BP Daily "

GO no GO today Have green light so far to start on 15th (wheelchair belly busting)
Next bloods Wednesday/ Friday results ,, still all OK Away we go
Starting to drop the Metformin this weekend

[youtube]HesUbTHKbdo[/youtube]

redmans

I am 58 years old and I have been Type 2 for ten years now. I have been using insulin for the last five years. I was overweight at 16 stone and my health had been deteriorating for years. I started on the 600 calorie regime 10 days ago and the results have been astounding for me. In the first three days I lost 7lb in weight and my energy levels went through the roof. For the first time in years I was able to walk without pain and exhaustion. After seven days I had lost 1 stone and my energy levels were increasing day by day. I had stopped all medication/insulin at the start of my personal challenge and for the first three days my fasting BG surprisingly averaged only 6.8. After seven days this reduced to 6.1. I am now at day 10 and my BG remains constant between 5.7-5.9. This morning I weighed myself at 14 stone 5lb. As of now the feelgood factor is amazing. My energy levels are at an all time high and I am enjoying life once again.

I am not promoting the 600 calorie regime as a suitable regime for everyone. Each one of us are different and we all have our opinions. I did not consult my doctor before starting this challenge and that was my choice. In my personal circumstances I reached a conclusion that after years of following doctors/clinics advice that my condition was getting worse and that I was prepared to take a chance at a possible cure.

Best of luck to all of you out there in managing your condition.

NewdestinyX

pianoman said:
phoenix said:
Whilst I totally agree that medical supervision is important, I really don't see Jennys comparison with the Minnesota starvation study is valid. ...
Does that mean you discount all of the studies linked by Jenny and the other blog poster?
Well it tells us that if one study it was an "apples and oranges" comparison to begin with then maybe others are too. And it means that too often bloggers like Jenny will try to 'pad' their position by offering 'fringe' studies in the list that are not even the remotest bit relevant in direct comparison.

But certainly any wise student of their condition will consider many different sources/studies. I've found the best way to 'filter' things is to look carefully in the margins of blogs to see who is 'sponsoring' a blog. That can often show 'the agenda'.

pianoman

NewdestinyX said:
Well it tells us...
Us?? Are you using the Royal "We"(pluralis majestatis) perhaps? Surely you can only speak for yourself? And you are of course entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to disagree with it.

As for adverts it seems to me that even on forums sponsored by ads, the forum Administrators have little control over what is advertised on their site.

NewdestinyX

pianoman said:
NewdestinyX said:
Well it tells us...
Us?? Are you using the Royal "We"(pluralis majestatis) perhaps? Surely you can only speak for yourself? And you are of course entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to disagree with it.
That's not the issue at all. You knew what I meant.

As for adverts it seems to me that even on forums sponsored by ads, the forum Administrators have little control over what is advertised on their site.
There's always control of adverts on opinion blogs.

pianoman

NewdestinyX said:
That's not the issue at all. You knew what I meant.
What I assumed you meant is that YOU made YOUR OWN conclusions about this blog post and tried to pass them off as if they were widely held conclusions. I for one do NOT agree with your conclusions and I don't know if anyone else does because I can only speak for myself.

NewdestinyX said:
There's always control of adverts on opinion blogs.
Always? Except for when there isn't?

If you scroll down Jenny's Blog* you will see this little disclaimer... there for any "wise student" to read for themselves
This blog does not control which products are advertised by Google Ads or endorse these products.
*http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Please refer to topic and be nice here too , any disagreements in private please!
Anna.x :D

jowatkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This diet is too extreme for me and is not something you can stay on for very long. I prefer to start something that can become `a way of life'. I found Patrick Holford's new book `Say no to diabetes'. It explains his low GL diet, it cuts all the `bad' carbs but allows the `good' carbs in moderation. I have just started this and within a week I have lost 4 lbs (yes, I know some of this is water) and am starting to feel a lot better - more energy already and a clearer head.

I have only just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and am trying to control it by diet. I have not started testing my blood glucose as I get no help from my GP but I am going to buy a monitor as I need to know just how what I put in my mouth is affecting my blood glucose.

I raided the bookshop on books for diabetes and Patrick's book seemed to explain everything and his results are amazing - and have been shown on TV with volunteers. So, I am giving it a try. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Jo

NewdestinyX

jowatkins said:
This diet is too extreme for me and is not something you can stay on for very long. I prefer to start something that can become `a way of life'. I found Patrick Holford's new book `Say no to diabetes'. It explains his low GL diet, it cuts all the `bad' carbs but allows the `good' carbs in moderation. I have just started this and within a week I have lost 4 lbs (yes, I know some of this is water) and am starting to feel a lot better - more energy already and a clearer head.

I have only just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and am trying to control it by diet. I have not started testing my blood glucose as I get no help from my GP but I am going to buy a monitor as I need to know just how what I put in my mouth is affecting my blood glucose.

I raided the bookshop on books for diabetes and Patrick's book seemed to explain everything and his results are amazing - and have been shown on TV with volunteers. So, I am giving it a try. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Jo
Good luck, Jo! And welcome to the forum AND to the club noone wants to be a member of (diabetes). Low GI/moderate carb is one of several very viable and proven methods to control your diabetes. Keep it up. It is indeed a sustainable lifestyle. But you do indeed need to get a blood glucose meter and start testing multiple times per day. It's the only way you'll discover what foods are safe for you in terms of not spiking your BG levels.

Again - welcome!

JohnFox

Hello!
Generally, I do not find my GP to be sympathetic to variation from his Metformin, ACE inhibitor and Simvastatin programme suggestion, and certainly not open to discussion...

I did not like the suggested regime and declined. I have been following my own leads and am showing no signs of the 'inevitable' consequences : my blood pressure is back down to normal, I've lost 30lbs of fat, my retinas continue to be clear, my eyesight is good ( using bi-focals, but no change in 11 years ) and not only are my feet still attached to my legs, the circulation in my extremities is improved.

There have been slight signs that mainstream medicine is changing tack on recommendations for diabetics, they need to, because the whole system will crash into bankruptcy if they don't. There have been the odd admissions that Diabetes is reversible, the Newcastle study being the latest one.

That little, small print comment on the effect being due to 'stripping the pancreas of fat' was a very interesting spark, in otherwise impenetrable dark.

If it is fat that is preventing the pancreas from proper functioning, then the next thing is to understand why the fat is accumulating. All that I have read on fat and diabetes makes the supposition that over-eating and eating junk/sugar is the only cause of fat build-up. Certainly in my case this is not true : I cook most of my own food, I try to eat organic and with a family history of diabetes, I have avoided refined sugar for many years...

My own fat-loss was largely due to my GP goading me by frequently repeating that I was 'clinically obese' : I determined to get rid of the fat and the only way to do that was by a very low calorie diet : I lost thirty of the sixty pounds of excess fat that I was carrying, as the fat went, osteo-arthritis arrived!

It now seems that my body was using the fat to protect it's self from toxins that it had no other way to eliminate : there are several suspects : mercury from tooth fillings, aluminium from cooking pans, arsenic from drinking water, acid from an unbalanced digestion, etc.

With my sugar under control, my fat down by 30lbs, but now walking with two sticks, I am working on a slow and very thorough de-tox before thinking of any further fat loss. Interestingly, one of my health problems has been/is rosacea, which my GP dismissed as 'cause unknown' and 'unimportant' : as I work at my de-tox, the red face is slowly improving...

To be continued.

John Fox.

NewdestinyX

Yes, John. For 80% of us type II diabetics it's indeed all about visceral fat. For 20% (often referred to as "skinny diabetics") no amount of weight loss makes any difference in their pancreas's health. Fortunately for those of us in the 80% group, we can make a huge difference by changing our lifestyle to a way that makes sure we can get rid of a lot of that visceral fat. Even so, most of the research still seems to say that the disease is progressive and it's likely most of us will be on insulin one day. Additionally the newest research tells us that the earlier you use insulin the more you have the opportunity to save your pancreas. But too many people still think of insulin as a last resort. That's unfortunate. You should start your own thread in the introductions section, John. Tell us a little more of your story.