Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Hi everyone

I have been diagnosed since September last year and have been on the keto diet since then until now. My last 2 hba1c results were both 41. Great! However I also have heart failure and I am on medication to lower my blood pressure so my heart doesn’t have to work too hard. The keto diet also lowers blood pressure and I have been feeling unwell on and off for the last couple of months , very tired, no get up and go, dizzy and sick. My blood pressure has dropped into the 77/55 range. My lowest reading 73/48 which is very low. They don’t want me to reduce or come off my heart meds so the final decision is to eat more carbs and if my blood glucose goes too high then they give me more meds for that ‍♀️. Oh well I’m enjoying a few potatoes and low carb bread etc.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why won't they reduce your BP meds when you have such low BP?
Sounds ridiculous to me..

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Because the meds are very important to support my heart function too. Not just lowering my blood pressure. They really don't want to reduce them. I can absolutely see where you are coming from and the doctor did admit it was a tricky one....

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Rather then go straight for bread and potatoes, did you try upping carb to maybe a 100g or 120g by eating a little extra veg, cheese and some berries with yogurt?

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Thank you, I'm being careful and it does feel wrong, I'm standing up to it at the moment though. Will tread carefully I think, thank you for your sound advice !!!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Just stating the obvious, but rather than 'low carb' bread and certainly rather than potato, go for the lower carb veg especially ones which have a low Glycemic Index. Almonds (unlike Walnuts and Brazils) have a noticeable number of carbs, eating carrots raw or partly cooked is a way of dropping their GI (otherwise they are too high in Carbs for me). Also consider eating cooked then cooked and re-heated pasta. It has been shown that when cooed and re-heated, the quality is almost the same, but the GI is considerably reduced!

I feel for you, tending to have a low BP myself and yet the doctors insisting I need take Beta-Blockers which also lower my BP an to take statins which boost my BG!

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
I didn't know that about pasta, but a bit reluctant to try it yet. I can't eat parsnips normally or sweet potatoes or butternut squash. I'll listen to my body and keep testing my blood pressure and blood glucose .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel for you, tending to have a low BP myself and yet the doctors insisting I need take Beta-Blockers which also lower my BP an to take statins which boost my BG!

Sadly, so can beta blockers if you have a particular type. I did some research on them when I was prescribed them at the hospital after I had a funny turn. My GP subsequently stopped them, partly because my blood pressure dropped too low and partly because my BGs increased.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you consuming enough salt? This is a huge problem for me because I've never added salt to my food until I started the keto diet (and stopped eating processed foods). When I get too low, I don't feel good. That's my cue to have a mug of hot water with salt.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your Bp is rather low, I'm surprised you are able to function. Must feel light headed and dizzy, especially when you stand up. It makes sense for them to review your meds, those number are far too low. What are your sats (oxygen levels) and pulse rate?
I chop and change my meds. I became bradycardic on one, fatigued, couldn't function. Took my self of them and got the Dr to change meds. I was on calcium blockers, I ended up creaking and clicking all the time, sounded as if I was starting with osteoporosis. Knocked that one on the head, bones back to normal.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Other health conditions can make for a delicate balancing act. How about adding in beans/lentils, more root veggies such as turnips, parsnips and carrots, and real whole grains (not “whole wheat” bread), like quinoa, buckwheat, or amaranth?