Recovery from making a mistake

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t had a hypo for a good few weeks now which is great. But the last few days have been bad. Looking back to Sunday (now Wednesday), I stupidly eat a small bar of 70% chocolate late at night for the hell of it and think I have been paying for it since with extreme tiredness. Have I upset my pancreas and am I going to have to wait for it to calm down again? Every now and again I want to seriously misbehave with my food and or drink but clearly it’s so not worth it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what you have said, I am not sure whether you had a reactive hypo, or not? Of course you may have had one in your sleep. I only discovered what was happening to my blood glucose at night once I got myself a Freestyle Libre.

But if you did have a hypo, and it was a bad one, then yes, the knock on tiredness, lethargy and low mood have lasted for up to 3 days for me. Obviously, that doesn't mean that your experience will be the same.

I think (because I lack the tools to test these things) that it is a combo of raised insulin resistance (heavy limbs, physical apathy) and an emotional reaction to all the stress hormones that get dumped into the system to halt the hypo and drive the blood glucose back up.

In your situation I would probably have been fine if I had eaten the choc as a dessert after a decent sized meal, but by itself without other food to buffer the spike/drop combo, that is when I would probably have seen a problem.

Hope that helps!

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Really helpful thank you! It certainly feels like coming out of a big hypo as my body is really tired. Feeling great for a long while is wonderful and the reminder of what life used to be like is very useful for motivation!

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did exactly the same a few years ago and had to wait for almost 6 (very worried)weeks before my pancreas settled down but my blowout was a big bigger than yours (a box of quality street). But everything did eventually settle down thank goodness, although to this day I regret it as the end result of my binge is that I’ve lost my ability to have the odd blowout when circumstances call for it such as a family gathering. So I wouldn’t worry too much, your pancreas will very likely to settle back down again. I have done the same as Brunneria and purchased a Libre and found to my surprise that I’ve been having a hypo of varying degrees almost ever night. I know they’re expensive but they are so informative. Any they give your fingers a well earned rest

Reactions: KarenTh

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @KarenTh Don't beat yourself up over this, we do our best as much as we can, but try to go a bit easier on yourself :)

Reactions: KarenTh

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Triffo and Juicyj. This forum is so helpful x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think the prime example of how this condition, will always cause us RH ers problems, is the glucose tolerance test.
Any food or drink (turns into glucose) that trigger the 'reactive' part of our condition will always raise blood sugar levels, then the drop into hypo levels.
If you have the symptoms or condition, having that treat, will always have an effect.

Congrats @KarenTh on your recent good results.
The after effects of a hypoglycaemic episode, can and will take a few days to get over.
I think a lesson has been learned, unfortunately, as I have found, you have to discover which treats you can have, and most sweet things are off the menu!

Best w

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the prime example of how this condition, will always cause us RH ers problems, is the glucose tolerance test.
Any food or drink (turns into glucose) that trigger the 'reactive' part of our condition will always raise blood sugar levels, then the drop into hypo levels.
If you have the symptoms or condition, having that treat, will always have an effect.

Congrats @KarenTh on your recent good results.
The after effects of a hypoglycaemic episode, can and will take a few days to get over.
I think a lesson has been learned, unfortunately, as I have found, you have to discover which treats you can have, and most sweet things are off the menu!

Best w

Thank you Lamont D. Its Day 4 and my body is feeling much happier. I also realised on top of it all I had a particularly Adrenalin fuelled work week (which we all have often!) and putting the two together has created a double whammy. Am going to invest in a new monitor so I can keep an eye on overnight levels.

Reactions: Brunneria