Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes was strange yesterday, it didn't spike when I had a junk food session with my bf but it spiked very badly when I ate my usual dinner. :hilarious:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, just got back from a few days over in the east of the country celebrating my sister's big birthday with her and her family. Really good fun, spiked at 15 something after a Chinese last night (yum!) but a bedtime correction saw me waking up to a 6.3 this morning. Breakfast and a 170+ mile drive home, still in the sixes by lunchtime.

As ever there's been loads going on here, sort of caught up on spikes, history and whatever. Are we going to have a meet up somewhere near the Cotswolds? Please not me to organise but it'd be fun...

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm back from the clinic, and I asked the nice doctor I saw about a pump. I wrote something very tentative on the "what would you like to talk about" box of the form they get us to fill in. He looked at my Libre results and said "I don't see why not", and then said it could take about a year. He was very impressed by how few spikes I had, which I though quite amusing, because when I get one they don't feel like not very many. HbA1c was 38, which is an improvement on last time, so I suspect the longer we have it the easier it gets.

@Alison54321 well done on the excellent figure

Keeping my fingers crossed for you with the pump, once you get the hang of it, it will make a big difference to your life

Reactions: Alison54321

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Last night i was hunting around for my RLS tablets, Ropinirole as I only have about 2 1/2 day left, I couldn't find any more so rang Boots this morning to ask if I could have them sooner ( my repeats are now on the 8th, this date had been changed because of a mix up) she said she would put an urgent through but it may take 72 hrs, so I decoded to phone my surgery.
I explained what had happened and she said the same, could be 72 hrs, but and there's a big but, the surgery will only allow certain medication to be classed as urgent and she said I can either go in to surgery or email, so I emailed.
I was getting very, very anxious as I can't do without the tablet's, as I am unable to sleep, relax, read a book because of the awful restless legs, and unable to sit down either also it can affect my arms too.
So, I decided to go through the kitchen draw that I keep the tablets in with other bits and pieces, well quite a lot really, so the kitchen draw had a big clean out and low and behold I found some loose tablets, about 2 1/2 days worth, but don't know how long they have been in there, but as I am desperate, I will take the anyway and I pray that they will work, so, so happy I found some :happy::joyful:

Here is the list :
Whilst the vast majority of medication requests are of a non-urgent nature we do provide same day urgent prescriptions for certain medications. This service is strictly limited to the following medications/patient groups: –

o Asthma and COPD reliever inhalers

o Anticoagulation

o Insulin, and associated products and other antidiabetic medications

o Antiepileptics

o GTN spray

o Long term steroids & Immune suppressants

o Antipsychotics

o Anti-arrhythmic’s

o Palliative care patients medications

o Long term antibiotics

I also asked receptionist If I could have a telephone consultation with GP, but he is fully booked until next week !!
Really do hope you're doing OK @Robinredbreast. Know exactly how you feel when you lose your essential meds. I panic mega style

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alison54321 well done on the excellent figure

Keeping my fingers crossed for you with the pump, once you get the hang of it, it will make a big difference to your life

Thanks. He did say it'd be a year before I got one, so I'm not getting too excited just yet. But I can see that being able to vary the basal would be very useful, so hopefully something might happen.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I concede that anthropomorphism isn't everyone's cup of tea but it makes me laugh and I don't drink tea. It also enables me to distance myself in a funny way while still dealing with the condition.
Magic day however, wore the badge for a bit, got a great guy to come and look at armchairs and give me a quote on recovering them rather than buying new. Fresh crevettes for supper in a while
Excellent news @Alison54321 Well done

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I concede that anthropomorphism isn't everyone's cup of tea but it makes me laugh and I don't drink tea. It also enables me to distance myself in a funny way while still dealing with the condition.

That's interesting, it has the opposite effect for me, I don't like treating it as if it were human, and existed in it's own right. I don't know why, I'll have to think about this, I think to me it feels like a loss of control, but I'm not sure.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the subject of blood sugar excursions into being high for too long, I always find when I'm trying to get it to go back down how weirdly accurate the little Libre gingerbread man is. It starts going down, then stops and rises a bit, and I check the gingerbread man, and insulin on board has always reduced a unit at exactly the point where it starts rising a little, instead of going down.

I'm frightened by how accurate he is.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They’re fab. It’s not the first time it’s happened!

Mel, it sounds like you have a fab pharmacy.

Just as an aside, Levothyroxine has a 6-7 day half life, for euthyroids, and longer for those with hypothyroidism, as a rule of thumb, so a day here or there is unlikely to be too dire. Obviously, I'm not suggesting you try it.

A while ago, I read a paper where it concluded for those on stable monotherapy of Levothyroxine, taking it weekly is just as effective as daily. For anyone titrating, it's less favourable, and as Liothyronine has a half-life of 2-3 days, the dosing regime is really different.

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always find when I'm trying to get it to go back down how weirdly accurate the little Libre gingerbread man is.

Alongside pre-bolusing, I'd put being able to track iob on a par as one of the most useful T1 management techniques. Makes a world of difference knowing how much iob I've got when I'm deciding whether or not to correct. I'd encourage any newly dx'd T1 to get some sort of device/app which lets them track iob.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No need to wander into the City Centre and my civic duty for the next two days now. Hooray! Back on Monday, though.

On the plus side, I've read more fiction in the last three days than I've done for ages whilst sitting around waiting for something to do. On the downside, I've been sitting around for too much!!! It was great getting out a bit earlier this afternoon, and the weather being nice enough to wander home a good way along the canal before diverting off to get some bits of food shopping then deciding a 4.4 was not going to get me safely home, so bus it was for the last couple of miles.

It's also fascinating watching the sea of humanity that is the jury waiting area for multiple courts in between reading books. Last time I did this, (30+ years ago) it was in a different area, and a much smaller set up. There is at least one other T1 in there - as I heard an interrogation as to what a hypo felt like, but I was too far away (and too interested in my lunch) to move to join in and add my point of view!

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Alongside pre-bolusing, I'd put being able to track iob on a par as one of the most useful T1 management techniques. Makes a world of difference knowing how much iob I've got when I'm deciding whether or not to correct. I'd encourage any newly dx'd T1 to get some sort of device/app which lets them track iob.

Yes. I never missed it when I didn't have it, but now I've used it with the Libre reader, I realise how useful it is, and I wouldn't want to go back to not knowing.

Reactions: Knikki

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heres a little puzzle for everyone
FB_IMG_1564345126409.jpg

Reactions: slip

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
That's interesting, it has the opposite effect for me, I don't like treating it as if it were human, and existed in it's own right. I don't know why, I'll have to think about this, I think to me it feels like a loss of control, but I'm not sure.
@Alison54321 it is human because I am so I suppose it's not in the strictess sense anthropomorphism. Referring to BG as Madam makes me laugh and angry, frustrated and keeps me and everyone on their toes. Have to watch out for peripheral neuropathy too, hehehe

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently (slowly) redecorating my house, and that is so not going to be my new living room wallpaper, although I suppose if I got drunk enough, it might do for the bathroom...
Do you have a garden I can use if I ever end up at a party at your place?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you have a garden I can use if I ever end up at a party at your place?

Och, ye can kip on the sofa if yer ever round my way, Antje!

I was in a few 1970s style nightclubs in my twenties where the decor was pretty much the same as the pic!