Low carb rolls/burger buns

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There have been many discussions about low carb bread, but can anyone recommend a commercially bought very low carb roll/burger bun? My family are getting into the LC spirit but certain things are still “needed” I’m too lazy to bake for the odd bun and every recipe seems to include psyllium husk which seems to be a bit dodgy depending on the article you read.

Also, any recommendations on very LC wraps? Thanks.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I know, no one is making a low carb roll.
I do bake bread from time to time, and I use psyllium flour as part of the recipe. It does go purple when baked, but I use rye flour and milled seeds to disguise that.

Reactions: jjraak and Flora123

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
LOW CARB Wraps from AMAZON. I tried the coconut version it was not to my liking but the low carb zone ones are ok. They were in pks of 8 but now 5 or 6s.

Reactions: Flora123

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do bake bread from time to time, and I use psyllium flour as part of the recipe. It does go purple when baked, but ...
Psyllium husk powder (rather than whole psyllium) does not go purple when baked...

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LOW CARB Wraps from AMAZON. I tried the coconut version it was not to my liking but the low carb zone ones are ok. They were in pks of 8 but now 5 or 6s.

Thanks. Just had a look - £13.99!!!! Way out of my price range sadly. Unless I’m looking in the wrong place.

Reactions: winelover

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Flora123 and 1spuds

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Just had a look - £13.99!!!! Way out of my price range sadly. Unless I’m looking in the wrong place.
Hi. I love bread/rolls and have been looking for a while for lower carb versions. I think i'm going to try the psyllium husk powder and make my own. I know its expensive to buy but if it makes quite a few rolls then it would more than likely even out the cost. Apart from rolls you can use it to make focaccia and supposedly it can be frozen once made.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Psyllium husk powder (rather than whole psyllium) does not go purple when baked...
Mine does - every time.
I can speculate that there might well be strains of psyllium which produce husks which do not go purple when heated, so far they have not landed in my kitchen.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me there just isn't a replacement for a bun so I don't try, but nothing beats picking up a burger and biting into it so I use a lettuce wrap or 2 large flat mushrooms grilled as a bun - bit more messing but much tastier than bread anyway

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I make this in a variety of different containers, from a loaf to a square slab for toasted to a burger bun, with sesame seeds on top:

Low carb bread

2tbsps almond flour

1tbsp psyllium husk powder

1tsp baking powder

1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)

Seasoning to taste

2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in whatever container you want the bread to be the shape of - it rises quite a bit.

Break eggs into the tub and mix thoroughly into a good batter.

Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes.

Slice, toast, treat like normal bread.

5g carbs

17g fat

16g protein

(And if it goes purple, I count it as a win :D )

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine does - every time.
I can speculate that there might well be strains of psyllium which produce husks which do not go purple when heated, so far they have not landed in my kitchen.
I've NEVER had any purple when doing Keto microwave bread....

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make this in a variety of different containers, from a loaf to a square slab for toasted to a burger bun, with sesame seeds on top:

Low carb bread

2tbsps almond flour

1tbsp psyllium husk powder

1tsp baking powder

1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)

Seasoning to taste

2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in whatever container you want the bread to be the shape of - it rises quite a bit.

Break eggs into the tub and mix thoroughly into a good batter.

Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes.

Slice, toast, treat like normal bread.

5g carbs

17g fat

16g protein

(And if it goes purple, I count it as a win :D )

Thanks. Would it work in an oven as I don’t use a microwave?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I love bread/rolls and have been looking for a while for lower carb versions. I think i'm going to try the psyllium husk powder and make my own. I know its expensive to buy but if it makes quite a few rolls then it would more than likely even out the cost. Apart from rolls you can use it to make focaccia and supposedly it can be frozen once made.
Are you gluten intolerant? If not, you might want to research bread made with vital wheat gluten instead of flour. Of course if you are then it would be a disaster.

Spookie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogant politicians/medics etc., including those who would impose their will on me regardless of common sense.
Inflexible, closed-minded individuals.
Being fat and useless!!
I eat Hilo bread from Sainsburys which is 5g of carbs per slice
Haaa haaaa I would love to eat Hi Lo bread fromSainsbury but there is no store that stocks it any nearer than 100 miles away (I live near Liverpool so I'm not exactly in the sticks...)

Any other suggestions from stores that actually stock something similar...??