New to diabetes

Fatalice

Hello, only being diagnosed with diabetes 5 weeks ago and on 4 metformin tablets a day. Being referred to diabetic clinic at hospital as unsure weather I'm type one or.type 2. I'm 5ft 2 and weigh 9 st. Up in till 7 weeks ago I was training and competing in Triathlons and ate very healthy. So in short all this is a complete shock to me. Does anyone have any advice please? Thank you. Fatalice

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Get T1 or T2 confirmed first as the responses will be radically different. Chances are it's T2 though given your age.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, 50% of type 1's are diagnosed after the age of 30. And you can be any weight to have type 1. A lot of us are misdiagnosed because LADA/type 1 is slow progressing. I was a vegan, and a vegetarian since I was 11, I ate very healthy, I swam 75 laps a day 5 days a week and 46 years old.. When I was first diagnosed I even asked if I could be a type 1, it wasn't until I switched doctors that I was tested and properly diagnosed. I think they might be getting better but misdiagnosis is still rampant.

So if things don't make sense, you can be a type 1 and the only way to know is by getting the proper testing done.

Reactions: Circuspony

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, only being diagnosed with diabetes 5 weeks ago and on 4 metformin tablets a day. Being referred to diabetic clinic at hospital as unsure weather I'm type one or.type 2. I'm 5ft 2 and weigh 9 st. Up in till 7 weeks ago I was training and competing in Triathlons and ate very healthy. So in short all this is a complete shock to me. Does anyone have any advice please? Thank you. Fatalice
Loads of T2's eat healthily before diagnosis and work out, so that doesn't say much. A fair percentage of them were never overweight either. Still... I have a feeling you're more likely a T1 or one of its variants, than a T2. And treatment does vary wildly, so can't advise much of anything at this time. Just to make sure you get the GAD and C-peptide tests done to determine type, because if they continue to treat you as a T2, when you're really a T1, it won't help one iota. Do you have a meter, do you test around meals? (Before a meal and 2 hours after first bite). How high are your spikes? I hope you'll be seen soon, because it sounds like they're taking their time with this.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: KK123

Raelynn76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get T1 or T2 confirmed first as the responses will be radically different. Chances are it's T2 though given your age.
Just fyi
Age has nothing to do with Type 1. I was 35 when I got t1. Most of the time it is kids that get it but when your pancreas decides it's time to stop working it can be at any age.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Prem51

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Fatalice :)

How did your diagnosis come about ?

I was diagnosed aged 38 as a type 1, it was a great shock but then i’d been healthy and active all my life till then, are you testing your blood glucose levels so you can see what’s going on before and after eating ?

Reactions: Marie 2

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Just fyi
Age has nothing to do with Type 1. I was 35 when I got t1. Most of the time it is kids that get it but when your pancreas decides it's time to stop working it can be at any age.

Just where did I give a pronouncement? I did say "chances" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Fatalice and welcome to the forum.......once you have your diagnosis sorted I'm sure you will find it a repository of useful information, advice and recipe's to temp the taste buds and help keep that pesky bold glucose under control.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Raelynn76 .
Whilst I agree age is no barrier to being either t1 or t2......... neither does weight or fitness......there are a lot of us skinny t2's about and as a 5ft 6", 9st weakling myself I speak from my own experience.

Reactions: Jaylee

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When diagnosed I was super fat and using sticks to get around I was so unfit - and I was no longer diabetic in 80 days eating low carb. If carbs are the problem, they can also be the key to control.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Folks, please lets not make this about ageism, and looking for offence and arguments.

Approx 80-90% of people with diabetes are T2, so yes, the odds are quite strong that a new D will be T2.
But that doesn’t rule out the other 10-15%.

Equally, 50% of T1s are younger, and most T2s are older.

Also, remember Steve Redgrave? That well known olympic athlete with a career of carb loading behind him. T2.

I hope @Fatalice gets a clear diagnosis, in her own best interests.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Fatalice ,

Welcome to the forum. i'm sure all will become clear at your next appointment with your HCPs.
We cant diagnose members on this forum.But advice can be given from experienced members once this diagnosis is confirmed..
This may help? https://www.diabetes.co.uk/newly-diagnosed.html

Best of luck.

Hi @Raelynn76 . Welcome to the forum too. Nice to see you here.

I notice you were born the same year i was diagnosed. :)

Feel free to join in on confirmed T1 topics, or even start your own thread. ;)

Regards.

Raelynn76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Folks, please lets not make this about ageism, and looking for offence and arguments.

Approx 80-90% of people with diabetes are T2, so yes, the odds are quite strong that a new D will be T2.
But that doesn’t rule out the other 10-15%.

Equally, 50% of T1s are younger, and most T2s are older.

Also, remember Steve Redgrave? That well known olympic athlete with a career of carb loading behind him. T2.

I hope @Fatalice gets a clear diagnosis, in her own best interests.
I don't want to argue with anyone I want to make sure people know that age has nothing to do with which type you get. I was wasting away until they got me properly diagnosed, I'm 5ft 4in and got down to 102 pounds(7 stones) I was a skeleton. Once my diagnosis was correct and we got my insulin needs figured out I started looking and feeling human again. :)

Reactions: Marie 2