Insulin resistance

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By what method/evidence are you thinking IR is lowering?

I know initially my hb1ac, bgl, weight and lipids dropped. All linked undoubtedly. But since then little change in any of them and no noticeable change in my ability to deal with carbs. A slice of toast still has the same effect it always did (IR the same?) I just don’t have it now - other than as a rare test

sorry if i wasn't clear @HSSS

simply doing the IR test i posted earlier.

i have input each blood test scoring as appilicable,
each time as it lowers, so does my IR rating on that app site.

may all be hocus pocus.
hence the original replies hoping for a favourable report that it actually has some merit,
in how it works.

a response i seemed to get from @Bluetit1802 posting
though i may have interpreted the conclusion wrongly.

I had noticed i could eat more foods when away, but i do seem to tolerate carbs better now
though still careful of how many in intake of.
would i swear it was the case..no, but it does point to it, i think..( ok i Hope )

Reactions: Karenhome02

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry if i wasn't clear @HSSS

simply doing the IR test i posted earlier.

i have input each blood test scoring as appilicable,
each time as it lowers, so does my IR rating on that app site.

may all be hocus pocus.
hence the original replies hoping for a favourable report that it actually has some merit,
in how it works.

a response i seemed to get from @Bluetit1802 posting
though i may have interpreted the conclusion wrongly.

I had noticed i could eat more foods when away, but i do seem to tolerate carbs better now
though still careful of how many in intake of.
would i swear it was the case..no, but it does point to it, i think..( ok i Hope )
No the reading I did do Saturday suggests it’s a reasonable measure. My scores have improved too. I just don’t see any evidence of it in my body and it’s reactions to carbs.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No the reading I did do Saturday suggests it’s a reasonable measure. My scores have improved too. I just don’t see any evidence of it in my body and it’s reactions to carbs.

ah, now i get you.

I suppose in a non scientific, scientific way, it probably would make sense to have a measure we could use.?

With carbs being an indicator of how poorly we currently process them and our insulin response.
i don't suppose it would do any harm to each month say, apportion one morning (as long as it was consistent, it wouldn't matter)
and eat a piece of say, a slice of toast. (common bread to each of us..bergen ? )

the response we have, should be in the same region i would think IF nothing was changing.
and a lower Bg score after the 1hr/2hr window might be an indicator to keep an eye on, that things MIGHT be improving

given enough of us on a regular basis, doing the same test, we could have some slightly wobbly 'proof' that the trg/IR calculator works..to some degree.

be an interesting experiment none the less.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
By what method/evidence are you thinking IR is lowering?

I know initially my hb1ac, bgl, weight and lipids dropped. All linked undoubtedly. But since then little change in any of them and no noticeable change in my ability to deal with carbs. A slice of toast still has the same effect it always did (IR the same?) I just don’t have it now - other than as a rare test

See my post above #68

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See my post above #68
Yep I looked. The test is apparently robust and valid.

According to most measures/calculations my IR is improved (those not including insulin or cpeptide as I’ve never scored either of those tests so I don’t know what they’d have shown). But I still seem to respond the same to carbs as I did, on my bgl meter. I don’t seem to tolerate them any better as you’d expect if IR were improved. My changes to diet were instant on diagnosis rather than gradual and maintained much the same since. Maybe it’s just my perceptions.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If they don't produce enough insulin, it is called insulin deficient not insulin resistant, which means they produce LESS than required insulin, the link is about how injecting MORE than required insulin can cause insulin resistance
You asked the question....
But how can someone with optimal insulin level and HOMA IR of 0.56 have type 2 diabetes?
Which I answered in general, not specifically about your brother, as I don't know enough about him.
Someone could be diagnosed with diabetes, change their diet and get a HOMA-IR of 0.56 but the consensus is that they still have diabetes but they are controlling it.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From his lab report and if i remember it correctly his A1c was 7% and his fasting glucose was 129 mg/dL, don't know about his pre meal and 2hr pp. Again I don't know how long he has been type 2 diabetic, but the lab report was three years ago, no medication as far as i know

Ehm....what made you think i'am offended?:):happy:;), he's been in the same height and weight since high school, no hyperthyroid, T3, T4 and TSH are normal, i don't watch what he eat, but as far as i remember he never exercise excessively

Err....i've never told you his HOMA-IR, because i don't know:), that was from my other post, that was the case of a member of this forum, you always write a post based on your own assumptions:happy:

My bad. I did misunderstand. And your additional information is helpful. In my 20's I experienced blood sugar disregulation despite being underweight, but had reactive hypoglycemia then. I didnt cross over to pre-diabetes until my early 40's but by then I'd gained weight. And the weight gain continued as my diabetes worsened over the many years that followed.

Pediatric endocrinologist Robert Lustig from UCSF and his staff did research on TOFI (thin outside, fat inside). What they found was that beverages and processed foods that contain fruit juice, sugar or fructose cause and worsen fatty liver. Beer is also problematic, as is excessive alcohol consumption. The answer? Eat real, whole foods with their naturally occurring fiber intact, by that he means eat non-starchy vegetables with your meals to feed your gut microbes. Small amounts of fruit and berries daily may be okay, but low carb berries are best, again in small amounts.

To learn more, you can find his lectures on YouTube.

Your brother may be able get his HbA1c back down with the low carb diet without losing weight by including enough healthy fats with his meals. Avocado, avocado oil, green olives, extra virgin olive oil, butter from grass fed cows are a few examples of healthy fats. Eggs are very healthy and are nutrient dense. Unhealthy fats are "vegetable oils", also known as highly processed industrial seed oils: corn, canola, cottonseed, soybean, sunflower, and saffola oils due to their damaged omega 6 fatty acids. Fat from animals that are fed their traditional diet can be healthy too. Grass fed beef is healthy, grain feed is unhealthy. Wild caught salmon is healthy, farmed salmon that is fed grains is not healthy. Those are just two examples. Dietdoctor.com is a good source of information on the low carb and ketogenic diets. You can also learn a lot here on this forum.

Start reading around the forum. Keep asking questions.

Edited by mod to remove statements suggesting diagnosis/medical advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies to the mod for having to edit my post. Thanks for the explanation. :)

bisalimo

You asked the question....
You missed my point.....read the link and my previous post again, but no problem if you still don't get it:)

Which I answered in general, not specifically about your brother, as I don't know enough about him.
Someone could be diagnosed with diabetes, change their diet and get a HOMA-IR of 0.56 but the consensus is that they still have diabetes but they are controlling it.

Again that's not the case of my brother's, the one i referred to is a member of this forum, and even with HOMA IR of 0.56 that person is not controlling it, because the fasting glucose is 8.7

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You missed my point.....read the link and my previous post again, but no problem if you still don't get it:)

Again that's not the case of my brother's, the one i referred to is a member of this forum, and even with HOMA IR of 0.56 that person is not controlling it, because the fasting glucose is 8.7
Sorry you have lost me. I now have no idea if your question refers to your brother, Jason Fung's article or a post by someone in another thread.

Reactions: jjraak

bisalimo

Sorry you have lost me. I now have no idea if your question refers to your brother, Jason Fung's article or a post by someone in another thread.
Like I said, no problem:happy: i wrote to comment on the link that not all type 2 are caused by insulin resistance, because there are many people who are very insulin sensitive, yet they are diabetic and have high glucose, not specifically hope to get you response:happy:, my brother and a member of this forum are just two different examples:happy: as simple as that:happy:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like I said, no problem:happy: i wrote to comment on the link that not all type 2 are caused by insulin resistance, because there are many people who are very insulin sensitive, yet they are diabetic and have high glucose, not specifically hope to get you response:happy:, my brother and a member of this forum are just two different examples:happy: as simple as that:happy:

bisalimo I'd really appreciate it if you could re-post the link you're referring to.

Reactions: 1spuds

Trendkill

I haven't read every post, as it's late and I'm tired. But, was wondering if any T2's have been prescribed glutathione for insulin resistance.
I ask as I have been considering using liposomal glutathione as a supplement for other reasons. I am T1D and unsure if it may be detrimental so have been looking at a lot of information, from what i have all read it may be beneficial for insulin resistance in T2D but have never seen it mentioned.

smk1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
i dont like people that play games with people , and dont like people that are not honest thats not for me.
I have to much protein in my kidneys and I inject twice a day as I was told this week I find this very worrying

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear this smk1066. How are your glucose levels and blood pressure doing? Did your doctor tell you what your eGFR is? Or is more testing being done? Let us know if and how we can be of support.