Pre pump training

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again! I got my letter about my pre pump training. I go on a fri afternoon and again on the mon. In preparation for the first day it says to bring 1 weeks worth of my bg readings pre meals. I was under the impression I would need a lot more recorded ie fasting and overnight? I'm not sure if it's a generic letter that hasn't been amended or of that's the usual case? My dsn is pretty laid back though lol. I'm definitely going to take more thorough recordings but can anyone advise me on what's the norm in this situation? Thanks again.

Reactions: Juicyj

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
The bare minimum would be you telling them your usual insulin doses, I.e. basal and units per gram of carbs. That's what I did.

It's highly likely that your pump dosing will be different from the doses you use on mdi, at least just enough that what you start with is an approximation anyway. While all the data you collected is useful, it may be that your dsn wants to get you set up in a stable system before you start setting up variable basal rates and insulin sensitivity factors. (Pump 101 before Advanced Pumping !)

Reactions: sjm1308

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah I see! Yes that makes sense then. Thank you!
The bare minimum would be you telling them your usual insulin doses, I.e. basal and units per gram of carbs. That's what I did.

It's highly likely that your pump dosing will be different from the doses you use on mdi, at least just enough that what you start with is an approximation anyway. While all the data you collected is useful, it may be that your dsn wants to get you set up in a stable system before you start setting up variable basal rates and insulin sensitivity factors. (Pump 101 before Advanced Pumping !)

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
A laid back DSN is good. I have a laid back DSN, she is awesome. Laid back does not mean inept, I think it’s the opposite, they really know what they are doing and create the least fuss and stress in the process.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @sjm1308 woohoo its happening then :)
My meter I used before the pump I had to upload the data before I went into the pump training day. The Medtronic rep had a quick look at them then went on to her laptop put my age, insulin usage and weight into the computer and that gave a very basic basal pattern and bolus set up. That was put into the pump and then I monitored my BGs very carefully for the next week and did make changes myself. When I went back for my follow up they adjusted things a little more and then let me get on with it

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I definitely agree. I've only met her once though since moving trusts so I'm still a little weary. It's just the letter for my first app with her, which had nothing to do with the pump, is exactly the same as the one I recieved following a phone call to inform me it was for pre pump training. I guess my old dsn, that I had for ten years was a stickler for details, which I liked. I like to know all the things lol.
A laid back DSN is good. I have a laid back DSN, she is awesome. Laid back does not mean inept, I think it’s the opposite, they really know what they are doing and create the least fuss and stress in the process.

Reactions: porl69

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is happening! 7 weeks today! Thank you for your reply, think I'm over complicating it in my head!
Hi @sjm1308 woohoo its happening then :)
My meter I used before the pump I had to upload the data before I went into the pump training day. The Medtronic rep had a quick look at them then went on to her laptop put my age, insulin usage and weight into the computer and that gave a very basic basal pattern and bolus set up. That was put into the pump and then I monitored my BGs very carefully for the next week and did make changes myself. When I went back for my follow up they adjusted things a little more and then let me get on with it

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
It is happening! 7 weeks today! Thank you for your reply, think I'm over complicating it in my head!

New tech will always bring a lot of questions. When you post we will help as much as possible :)