Type 2 diagnosed with diabetes last year.

paultherise

Hi, there,
I have newly join to this forum and been through the discussions, its seems very friendly people on this forum.
I got this problem a year ago. Doctor took my blood test, my sugar was very high HbA1C 11%. I was feeling very bad for me. Doctor put me on Metformin 1000mg daily. I have started taking low crabs foods and medicines since then. now my sugar level is Ok.
I worried about the future bcoz sometime i like to eat sugary food. Would like to ask my current medicine could lose it effects after sometime. how many years or months it can control my sugar level with good diet and exercise?

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, there,
I have newly join to this forum and been through the discussions, its seems very friendly people on this forum.
I got this problem a year ago. Doctor took my blood test, my sugar was very high HbA1C 11%. I was feeling very bad for me. Doctor put me on Metformin 1000mg daily. I have started taking low crabs foods and medicines since then. now my sugar level is Ok.
I worried about the future bcoz sometime i like to eat sugary food. Would like to ask my current medicine could lose it effects after sometime. how many years or months it can control my sugar level with good diet and exercise?

Welcome to the forum. I assume you are type 2.

Everyone is different, and how long the current medication works effectively is partially down to how you manage diabetes. If you take it on board , go low carb, lose weight to improve insulin sensitivity, exercise regularly and eat to the meter to minimize high levels; you may even be able to come off medication.
Everyone likes to eat sugary food, but if its slowly killing you is it worth the risk, that's for you to decide, how much do you want to sacrifice for the quality of life you want, we can't make that decision for you.

If you don't control it well, they may move you onto insulin later, but that's not a solution, its another patch.

Reactions: paultherise

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @paultherise

well done getting things in order.

Not clear if you take anything other then metformin?

if not then most of the work was done by YOu and your DIET
exercise helped to a degree.

So it works as long as YOU put int the effort re foods, etc

so whether you get the option to stop met or want to stay on it for it's supposed health properties, i don't know
but, the T2D is a life long illness.

I'd say the defence of your health
IS also a Life long diet..

for some they can relax a little bit, for others not so much,
and for those lucky few the diet is what they enjoy.

Me i like it, but i still miss some things i ate, that i could i suppose eat again,
IF i thought the risk was worth the taste.

I guess we all have to make that choice at some point.
reroute themselves down a LOW CARB/HF/Keto avenue and never divert
OR make subtle changes as we go.

I don't think letting go completely is EVER an answer as that just gets you
right back where you started despite all your hard work

Good luck finding your way

Reactions: paultherise

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone likes to eat sugary food, but if its slowly killing you is it worth the risk,
I dont associate with people who can kill me,sugar wants to kill me.Thats all I needed to know about the subject.

If you cant beat the sweet tooth,there are options that are sweet without sugar,like stevia candies for example.Ideal? Not IMO,but sure better than sugar,again IMO.

85% chocolate is also said to be OK for diabetics,I get mine at Aldis,yummy and best price Ive found.Still I try to keep it as an occasional thing.Greek yogurt with some berries Ive added is like ice cream to me now,really helps on my sugar cravings.And I never liked yogurt at all before diabetes,now I love the stuff.

So there are options for you besides sugar.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Welcome paultherise.
Following a low carb diet for the last 12 months I stopped taking insulin last December, Trajenta earlier this year and now only have 2x500 gm Metformin a day down from 4x500 gm. My target is to stop Metformin. I find I need to have a target as this helps to stop me thinking about what I am missing. I can focus on how well I am doing and feeling. It is unlikely that I will recover from diabetes because I am sure that if I went back to 'normal' foods I would be back on insulin in a few years if not months.
I still like my sweets so I buy no sugar added candies but rarely have more than 1 every few days. I also have the 85% chocolate and alternate this with 72% that does raise my sugar levels but not too much as long as I keep the amount down. Some fruits are also good but never bananas and blueberries and just small amounts of other fruits.
You will have to find out what works for you as we all react differently.
I was on ever increasing drugs for about 12 years after my diagnosis with no improvement because no-one suggested a low carb diet. Now I suffer from severe pain in my feet caused by diabetic neuropathy. This is the result of excessive glucose levels for an extended time. You don't want to go there. Go low carb, stay low carb and exercise regularly. I'm just off to the gym.