Type 1'stars R Us

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ert re the cricket. Sorry it’s a big yawn from me. Plus those ball tampering, cheating Aussies should have been banned for life. They give Oz and cricket a bad name.

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
@ert re the cricket. Sorry it’s a big yawn from me. Plus those ball tampering, cheating Aussies should have been banned for life. They give Oz and cricket a bad name.
I agree that there should be longer penalities for cheats. Remember British middle-distance runner Gareth Warburton who was banned for 6 months and sprinter Solomon Wariso for three months for failed drug tests. I'm sure these sentences were no deterrent. They give the UK and athletics a bad name. But then again, one shouldn't condemn an entire nation based on a few dishonest sportspeople.

I promise - no more dull cricket posts. :)

Reactions: slip

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 I can cope with weird rules for sports (take a look at Aussie Rules where you get points for nearly scoring a goal and you used to be able to have a fight on the pitch/oval provided the ball wasn't too close*). What I can't cope with is a game that goes on and on and on and on. I feel the same about cricket as I do about baseball (sorry @Marie 2 and any other Americans).

*No doubt @ert will correct my understanding of Aussie Rules once the Ashes has finished ... some time next year, I think.

Hi @helensaramay BIB. baseball is just rounders, which we used to play in primary school

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening all, relatively uneventful day here, bloods steady and I didn’t kill anyone.

I think cricket could be interesting if they played it with live hand grenades...

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that there should be longer penalities for cheats. Remember British middle-distance runner Gareth Warburton who was banned for 6 months and sprinter Solomon Wariso for three months for failed drug tests. I'm sure these sentences were no deterrent. They give the UK and athletics a bad name. But then again, one shouldn't condemn an entire nation based on a few dishonest sportspeople.

I promise - no more dull cricket posts. :)

I wasn’t saying a nation should be condemned. Just the cheats. Anybody who cheats in any competitive sport should be banned for life. It is such a bad example for the young. And unfortunately it does give their aligned country a bad name. The trouble is it’s all about money and the gains made are huge.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hayfever is acting up today. Diabetes was good for most of the morning and afternoon but decided to hypo during my nap. Could anyone give any speculation as to why my response to my hypo is so late? According to my libre I was hypoing for about 3-3.5hours before waking up. BG meter said girl why are you 2.7? I now think it's not hypo unawareness, just a very very late response.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I wasn’t saying a nation should be condemned. Just the cheats. Anybody who cheats in any competitive sport should be banned for life. It is such a bad example for the young. And unfortunately it does give their aligned country a bad name. The trouble is it’s all about money and the gains made are huge.
To be honest, I don't think it gives their aligned country a bad name. There are bad people in every profession including professional sportspeople. I don't think any less of your national athletics team because of drug cheats or our cricket team because of ball-tampering. It's down to the individuals. I certainly think less of the individuals and agree the bands should be for life. But one has to support restorative justice and rehabilitation for a better society.

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The weekend doth arrive. Zippy de do dah.
Steady day and a steady work week. No CGM this week up until now. Just checked back on blood meter and I’ve only gone 10+ 4 times since last Saturday. What’s happened in between I have no idea:). It’s nice having a break from the yellow dots.:)
I see we are talking cricket. Test cricket no less. A tad to long for me personally. Always remember being a kid way back and watching cricket in the school holidays. Richie Benaud reporting on Geoffrey Boycott at the crease in the 118th over needing one more run to get into double figures.:woot::woot::woot:.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aaand relax! Am now four days into a two week staycation, haven't been hospitalized or arrested yet, despite a few, erm, "late nights" in a variety of Edinburgh drinking establishments, so it's all looking good on that front.

Decided to check out some dining options round town.

There's been a posh fish restaurant, Ondine, in town for a few years now, does a fairly decently priced set lunch, and they've just set up The Fishmarket in the Newhaven bit of town , basically gastro-fush and chups where they've figured out how to make the batter just be crispy enough without getting claggy, so had about 130g of that a couple of days ago, just yer basic cod, but might pop back for the posher breaded monkfish option, cos, well, I'm on holiday.

Next up was Six by Nico on Hanover Street, he makes up a six course tasting menu which changes every six weeks, currently Thai street food, 28 quid, more than I'd normally pay for lunch but an interesting experience. Tasting menus are murder, polis for bolusing, but seemed to have winged it ok.

The Edinburgh Evening News took much better photos than I did of the food, and good to see from the review that he brought Cindy Sirapassorn in for advice, she used to run her own restaurant, Passorn, in the same premises, before it closed, so now have to trail up to her Tollcross branch for her ethereally beautiful Tom Yum and coconut soups - liquid silk.

Next week or so, there'll be a return visit or two to the Outsider, had many excellent two course meals there at lunch for a mere 12 quid or so, and a first time at The Gardener's Cottage, even though it's ridiculously overpriced, and what looks like a promising newcomer, The Little Chart Room .

Anyway, that's me done my bit for the Edinburgh tourism industry, and independent local traders, and the barmaid is asking if I want another pint, so...

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys. What's your thoughts on Gullons sugar free products. I personally think its a godsend. I love their products. The biscuits, waffers, chocolate biscuits is brilliant. Not to mention the belvita look alikes breakfast bars tastes the same as the real thing. Also their version of oreo biscuits yummy. I dnt have issues with blood glucose readings either with them. Personally thumbs up from me.

Reactions: Knikki

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yummy
Screenshot_20190801_213611.jpeg

Reactions: Knikki

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hey guys. What's your thoughts on Gullons sugar free products. I personally think its a godsend. I love their products. The biscuits, waffers, chocolate biscuits is brilliant. Not to mention the belvita look alikes breakfast bars tastes the same as the real thing. Also their version of oreo biscuits yummy. I dnt have issues with blood glucose readings either with them. Personally thumbs up from me.
They're made with flour though. Carbohydrates for the non-believers (in normal eating.) :(

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had some strange adventures again today. First some panic cleaning for a visitor, then the visitor herself. Who was a T1 who jokingly said she'd love to play pim pam pet with me in a diabetic's facebook group, so she came over. Was fun, and I now have seen an insulin pump :)
I made some chocolate truffles yesterday to go with the tea. I wasn't sure what kind of diet, if any, she followed, so I thought it would be nice to come up with some low carb treats (truffles less than 1 gram of carbs a piece).
As a result, instead of pim pam petting we made an emergency visit to the vet, as the plate with 6 chocolate truffles was suddenly empty after I showed her the rabbits, chickens and guinea pigs in the garden.
We had a suspect: Panda, the sleepover dog (only 6 kilo's, so 6 truffles is quite a lot of cocoa), as the truffles were in a pretty hard to reach place and Panda is the only one of the 5 dogs I've ever seen nicking food from that particular place. I can tell you you'd be feeling pretty stupid too, sitting in the vets yard and waiting for your dog to puke after an injection to make him do so. You'd feel even more stupid when you realise you are cheering because, indeed, there's a lot of chocolate in the puke so you've got the right dog!

Well, after this interesting vet visit with this woman I'd never met before we went to see the sea and let the dogs (at least the 4 not nauseous ones) have a good time. I threw the ball in the water for my old dog, forgetting he was old and his hind legs have gotten weak. So he made it through the mud to the water to fetch the ball, but got stuck on his way back. The thick black mud was hip deep for me when I had to help him get out so I must have made a pretty sight.

Then, by now walking barefoot in my underpants and still with this nice woman I'd only met, we encountered a young gull which couldn't fly. So I caught it and we went back to my place with 5 muddy dogs, a seagull, and me being black from mud halfway up. Good thing we took my car, and not hers :p

Thankfully, she took the gull with her, as the bird sanctuary was on he way.

I had a plan involving dogs and a shower upon getting home, but things didn't follow plans so now I have mud in my bed, on the couch, a wet muddy kitchen, hallway, bathroom, living room and everything smells of sea and mud.

I'm still trying to get my old dog warmed after his shower 6 hours ago, and trying to get on terms with him being old and not himself anymore as his brain isn't the same as in the old days. It hurts.

The adventures were great fun though, except for the vet. But that was funny too in a way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison54321

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scott-C , now I want to eat at those places!
@Delticmatt100 , in my experience sugar free product have almost as much carbs as the normal ones, so I'd have to inject almost the same amount of insulin for them.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A good ol' plain digestive biscuit for me every now and then. It saved me from some BG levels from dipping too low. :)