Type 1'stars R Us

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been giving Be bop deluxe a bit of a listen...? They remind me of early Magnum. Not a bad thing.

Ah Magnum another quality band @Jaylee particularly like their early albums from late 70's to early 80's. Still going strong as well.

There is even a covers band on tour just now,Kingdom Of Madness, which has 3 or 4 members of early Magnum and they play stuff from first 4 albums

Reactions: Jaylee and Knikki

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My choice has always been to avoid this kind of thing. I don't want to consume that much artifical sweetener; I save biscuits for when I'm going low and need a carb boost or just before I'm going to have some exercise that I know will bring my bg down. For me, these rank with 'diabetic' chocolate/biscutis/etc etc, all of which are to be avoided in my world. When I was first diagnosed 30some years ago, my wonderful DNS told me to steer clear and simply have something real when I needed something carby. I've done that ever since and it works for me, and if I want something at other times, like @helensaramay and @Antje77 I'll take the appropriate amount of insulin for them.
I also noticed that the ones I looked at for ingredients all have 'vegetable fat (palm and palm kernel)' which if I'm not mistaken = palm oil which I try to avoid for environmental reasons. I was told - and it seems to be the case - that for ordinary biscuits it's in all the cheap ones, much less so in more expensive ones, although 'diabetic' and sugar-free foods are usually more expensive.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tbh I haven't had any diabetic marketed food products like biscuits or chocolate in decades. Mainly because you can easily go over too many and end up on the toilet for a few hours or days, and some sugar free products still have carbs in them so might as well have the real thing. It's much easier to stop with original food items and it's better on my tummy. However the sugar free syrup I use in my coffee doesn't contain carbs and that's the only time I use it and I don't go overboard since it's one cup of coffee a day. I remember as a kid that my DSN told me to minimise the sugar free candies that I was buying and eating.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Give me a real Oreo any day of the week.

Don't see why we should need to have replacement this and diabetic that. If its worth the bolus it must be good.

I think the only exception I have to this is sugary drinks. 20 minutes is a long time when thirsty to me and I find them too sweet to my taste.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love oreos, oreo ice cream, oreo ice cream sandwich, oreo cheesecake, I'm all in. :hilarious:

Reactions: ert

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Tbh I haven't had any diabetic marketed food products like biscuits or chocolate in decades. Mainly because you can easily go over too many and end up on the toilet for a few hours or days,

I don't like artificial sweetener for just that reason!

The carbs in bscuts make Oreos a hypo treatment for me. But like @hh1 I don't want to eat palm oil, so I don't eat biscuits unless they're for a hypo.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1563550938163.jpg

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
No badge for me today. Made a really big mistake yesterday evening, I had a whole nectarine and didn't bolus, just forgot! Obviously fructose is not for me... rather not in the shape and size of that fruit.
Woke at 14.9.......YIKES! dealt with it and now waiting.

On a brilliant note, the steroid injection seems to have worked, first day pain free since April. Thank you NHS. I'm be a very happy gardener today
A guy is coming this morning to pick up my 3 chairs to be recovered and they said they'd be able to get the job done before Mr B gets back from Riga

Have a lovely Friday everyone

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all,
No badge for me today. Made a really big mistake yesterday evening, I had a whole nectarine and didn't bolus, just forgot! Obviously fructose is not for me... rather not in the shape and size of that fruit.
Woke at 14.9.......YIKES! dealt with it and now waiting.

On a brilliant note, the steroid injection seems to have worked, first day pain free since April. Thank you NHS. I'm be a very happy gardener today
A guy is coming this morning to pick up my 3 chairs to be recovered and they said they'd be able to get the job done before Mr B gets back from Riga

Have a lovely Friday everyone

That higher blood sugar could be a combination of not bolusing for a nectarine AND the steroid injection.

Reactions: Fairygodmother
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Happy Friday diabuddies, hope you are all looking forward to the weekend.
I had a great day out with daughter yesterday, but hypo city took hold at some point and this morning on waking, 2.9, so waiting for BG to go up. I loved the boat trip yesterday, it was nearly 1 1/2 hours and I even steered the boat, it was fantastic, I didn't do too badly and the passenger's didn't know that I'm a non driver lol, the sun came out and it was quite warm too. some of the house's along the river were beautiful and worth a beautiful few millions too.
Have a happy day :)

Last edited:

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all,

Had to revisit the small place in my memory, last night, inhabited by be bop deluxe, it's only very small. But still.........

Anyway 8.3 this morning, which was a little bit higher than I like, but not the end of the world. Not quite sure why, though I have my suspicions.

Today, and for the next 3 or 4 weeks, is too many people walking around outside day, so I'm going to be grumpy for those weeks, not that being grumpy is always a bad thing, I might even find some hidden little bits of anger I could do with getting rid of, and expunge it.

Usually I quite enjoy the first week of the festival, but I seem to have decided to leave that bit out this year. Oh well. I don't dislike the performers, and the leafleters, they're all quite sweet, friendly, and chatty, it's the audience walking around between events that annoy me. I suppose they are a necessary part of it all, though.

Reactions: karen8967

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know them?

Band from the late 70's and quiet under rated, I had a couple of their albums but when I set my turntable etc back up I went out on a hunt and now I think have them all :).

@Jaylee Not sure about early Magnum always thought they were way heavier.

Morning.

Pizza was good, slightly got the split dose wrong, had an epic dream (no idea what is was about :rolleyes: ) and woke up to a 2.6 which was OK, couple of jelly babies (work a little quicker than Jaffa Cakes) and all is well with the world :pompous:

I bought their LP "Modern Music" a long time ago. They were weird, there was something quite poplike about them, but at the same time they managed to inhabit the territory claimed by men who liked to talk about electric guitars, and other gadgetry. Which, was, I suppose, in some ways quite an achievement. Almost a bit Bowie like, he managed that too.

Reactions: Knikki

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
That higher blood sugar could be a combination of not bolusing for a nectarine AND the steroid injection.
Thanks @Alison54321 I agree that's why I'm not too bothered. It might also be the liver that's throwing its morning tuppence in. Standing at 12.1 after 2 hrs so it's coming down slooooooooooooowly but I don't want to overblouse. Going to see what it's doing after another 2. I know what you mean about people who seem to wander around aimlessly with no sense of time or space. They're called tourists in Oxford.:arghh:

Don't like having to eat sweet stuff for a hypo in the morning @Knikki but even though I'm not a biscuit fan, dunkability is an important factor.

Reactions: Alison54321

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy Friday! No swim fit today, in fact have missed the last three as been under the weather. Strange virus that has left me with an irritating cough. It requires a good 30 mins sat up sipping water in the middle of the night to keep it calm. Not happy! Levels haven’t been happy either so been taking lots of insulin to knock them on the head. I hate been ill as it curtails my naturally busy nature. But my get up and go has got up and gone. At least being retired I don’t have to worry about going to work.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They're called tourists in Oxford.:arghh:

Tell me about them! A lot of far eastern ones around at the mo, it's the walking guided tours that drive me nuts - doesn't matter where you're heading there will be one that fills the path and spills onto the road and they have no road sense. But I guess Oxford wouldn't be Oxford without the tourist (and the bikes! :rolleyes: and the spires).

Slipped up on the evening bolus (may have been the cheeky magnum ice cream :meh:) but 4.4 this morning. :happy:

Reactions: hh1

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, been to the mower hospital to collect my mower this morning so no prizes for guessing one of the things on my agenda today. Plus some paperwork, trip to the accountant as I need to get my books back so I can pay the VAT before I get fined, and watering for two lots of friends who are away at the moment.

Have a good Friday all and here's to well-behaved bg all day ;)

Reactions: karen8967

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Tell me about them! A lot of far eastern ones around at the mo, it's the walking guided tours that drive me nuts - doesn't matter where you're heading there will be one that fills the path and spills onto the road and they have no road sense. But I guess Oxford wouldn't be Oxford without the tourist (and the bikes! :rolleyes: and the spires).

Slipped up on the evening bolus (may have been the cheeky magnum ice cream :meh:) but 4.4 this morning. :happy:
Totally agree @slip, I think they have a different sense of what's OK but as you say, that's Oxford. Still a bit annoying though

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Aaaah yes, tourists. Bless 'em. They bring in a lot of money locally but they make shopping in summer or around Christmas more fretful than it should be. I am glad I live far enough out of the city that they leave my street alone but close enough that I don't have to worry about driving and parking amongst the grockles when I walk to the shops.

@SueJB do you have any suggestions for morning hypo treatment that is not sweet? I haven't found anything so try to do that thing I did as a kid when my Mum wouldn't let me leave the dinner table until I had eaten my brussels sprouts (or anything else as nasty) - minimum chewing and swallow so I taste as little as possible.
Have you increased your basal to cope with the steroid injection? I know we are all different ... and there are different types of steroids ... but I needed to increase mine by 20% for 2 weeks when I was jabbed. In my experience, that is more likely to affect my BG than a nectarine which is usually less than 10g carbs. I guess you are keeping an extra vigilant eye on your BG and have your correction blouse out of the wardrobe and in your bag ready.

My BG is ok. It seems to be going a tad high overnight recently. I am not sure if that is due to what I am eating or whether I am a little stressed. It's fine during the day when I am active.

Today's excitement is meeting, spin, eye lash tint, massage and preparation for my parent's visit tomorrow which means some cooking.
And all whilst flying free ... or at least Libre-free until after the massage and some bedding in.
There's a lot going on for you today @helensaramay Hope your time management is good and everything gets fitted in. I haven't/didn't do any extra Basal for the steroid but am definitely keeping an eye on it.
I think after my fiasco with the nectarine etc, I'd eat that or some fruit for a morning hypo. The problem is that would mean buying it just in case and I have zero willpower for fruit. The temptation would be too great, perhaps some of those little boxes of fruit juice might be an idea