Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay I'm happy to share the excitement. I so miss my girl and a new puppy won't replace her but will be a whole new personality to learn, and a distraction.

@ert this one, like the last two, is a german short-haired pointer. My husband was a falconer and they're often used as falconry dogs. I love the breed; I like the temperament, the way they move, their sense of humour, and with family and friends I really appreciate the fact that they like, and are very good with, children.
I hope you are aware we need to learn all about her personality as well. So be prepared for a lot of writing.
Also, I hope you've already figured out a way to post pictures on the forum. If not, please do so before she arrives, as we'll need to see them. We also need to cuddle and play and share sharp toothed puppy kisses with her, but that's impossible as she lives too far away. But stories and pictures are the next best thing.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hopefully I have attached both recipes.
The tarte tatin (sorry about the spelling of the file name) is a bit faffy and I cheat by making the components (onion and carrot) at the same time and transferring to a pie tin to cook.
However, the muhammara, a Syrian pepper and walnut dip, is a doddle with a food processor.

I have just prepared the tart components and will finish it tomorrow, made the muhammara and beetroot dip and think i’ll do the cake when I get back from my massage.

I think I can do all of this before I go to bed tonight. Himself thinks we will be eating some of it for tea but he may be disappointed. I’m not sure if i’ll have time to stop to eat.
Thanks @helensaramay for taking time out to post the recipes. Look fab especially the puff pastry in the tarte. I'd sit and have a rest for a min

Reactions: Kim Possible

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Both recipes look fab @helensaramay, could almost taste and smell them as I read. Both forwarded to email so they can be tried. Thank you

Reactions: Kim Possible

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I don’t think it was the cat who beheaded the seagull, @antje, I can’t see a beak anywhere, and I doubt he’d have been able to crunch it up so I’m going for a fox, they’re the same family as dog. It’s in the bin now before the smell of dead gull wafts over the neighbourhood.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:)
IMG_20190802_185008.jpeg
IMG_20190802_185030.jpeg
IMG_20190802_185039.jpeg

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also guys I need to ask diabetes nurse on the 8th.i just put in 7units of Humalog and it stung bad worst ever I felt so far. Not sure what's causing it to sting.im sure if it's to do if body is warm. Don't say its the socks or underwear lol. Anyone else get stings when injecting or wat can I do to ease the pain?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Also guys I need to ask diabetes nurse on the 8th.i just put in 7units of Humalog and it stung bad worst ever I felt so far. Not sure what's causing it to sting.im sure if it's to do if body is warm. Don't say its the socks or underwear lol. Anyone else get stings when injecting or wat can I do to ease the pain?
Definitely the pants ;)

But in all seriousness - does it sting every time you inject? Was it cool from the fridge? Some insulins are stingy, so it might be worth keeping notes and showing your nurse.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Delticmatt100 . With the introduction of the new finer needles things have improved immeasurably.
Unfortunately even a 4mm needle can feel like a red hot 6 inch nail if it hits the right spot. Nerves I think are the most painful.
Sometimes you hit a capillary, that’s fun too.
As already said. Cold insulin can sting, some insulin’s can be stingy.
Sometimes we have to weigh up the options. A few seconds of “ pain “ ( I prefer discomfort) versus receiving a life saving medication.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I suppose I should look of it like that
@Delticmatt100 . With the introduction of the new finer needles things have improved immeasurably.
Unfortunately even a 4mm needle can feel like a red hot 6 inch nail if it hits the right spot. Nerves I think are the most painful.
Sometimes you hit a capillary, that’s fun too.
As already said. Cold insulin can sting, some insulin’s can be stingy.
Sometimes we have to weigh up the options. A few seconds of “ pain “ ( I prefer discomfort) versus receiving a life saving medication.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Very occasionally, an injection will be near to a cluster of nerve endings, and, yeah, that can be a real, "ooh, ya ******" moment.

That's pretty rare, though, so if it's happening frequently, it's maybe something else.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or wondering if I'm squeezeing my skin too hard pinching the inch as I inject with the shield. Maybe I don't need to pinch. Who else pinches?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Or wondering if I'm squeezeing my skin too hard pinching the inch as I inject with the shield. Maybe I don't need to pinch. Who else pinches?
I don't, usually. And when I do there is definitely no squeezing involved, it's more a putting 2 fingers beside the needle sort of thing. To my thinking, when you squeeze you leave less room for the insulin.
But that's just a thought,nothing scientific.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope no pinching here.
Straight in.
You’ll become battle hardened in time.
Self injecting ain’t easy to start with.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Evening all,
A little bit of advice please or at least your thoughts.
I'm beginning to get a tadge worried about the BG
Here's the run down
6.25 =14.9,,,,,,,,,,,, 3Novo
10.30= 11.3
15.30= 11.6,,,,,,,,,, 2 Novo
18.30 =13.7,,,,,,,,, 5 Levemire (first food of the day naked burger and onions)
20.15 = 13.4

Shall I just wait til the morning or bung in some Novo now?

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No piching needed. What I do is just before I insert I take a deep breathe. As I inject i then breathe out, works fine for me