BG spike after eating

scaryblueberry

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there - please look at TypeOneGrit on Facebook-
a very large group of T1s, very young and old, who control their blood sugars and insulin etc with Low Carb and follow Dr Bernstein's advice. It's not just about eating and covering - you can get off the rollercoaster of highs and lows.

have you managed this with Bernsteins Method? ive read the book and got a bit overwhemed, spoke to doctors about it who dismissed his ideas and then not put the suggestions into practice .... but am still interested and would love to hear first hand accounts of what following his program has been like?

Good luck

scaryblueberry

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly my problem too. 12/13 after breakfast and lunch too. If I increase the Novorapid, it’s slightly better but then give it another 3 or 4 or even 5 hours and BG keeps dropping. It’s as if the insulin just sits there not doing its job then suddenly wakes up! It’s just so annoying!
novorapid
Exactly my problem too. 12/13 after breakfast and lunch too. If I increase the Novorapid, it’s slightly better but then give it another 3 or 4 or even 5 hours and BG keeps dropping. It’s as if the insulin just sits there not doing its job then suddenly wakes up! It’s just so annoying!
NovoRapid® will start to lower your blood sugar 10-20 minutes after you take it, it has a maximum effect between 1 and 3 hours and the effects last for 3-5 hours. when i used to use it i thought it took a lot longer to Start working and it would be gone out of my body after 6 hours. now im using humalog which works, peaks and is gone from your body mich quicker. Theres another Insulin that works even fast er but i cant remember the name.

clanders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this particular issue.

I'm a T1 looking for a bit of preliminary advice on blood glucose spikes after meals.

I've just started using a Libre, while it's fantastic I'm becoming a bit obsessed with getting my BGs under control.

What seems to be happening is I'm rising around early morning when I wake up then spiking high into 15/16 glucose count after eating breakfast. Then my BG drops to normal to low range during the day and then spikes high again after dinner into 12-15 range.

I'm meant to have fasting 5.3 target and 7 an hour after meals and I just wondered if anyone else had experiences with high spikes after eating, and if so what you did to remedy it?

I'm going to try upping my fast acting a little during these times and inject well before a meal so it's working quicker. I'm also going to check my basal insulin is the right amount.

For background I take Lantus once a day in the evening, novorapid fast acting.
Hi Thelma 21,

Be wary of taking more insulin as you may experience more hypoglycemic episodes. It's possible that you need a higher insulin to carbohydrate ratio but do this in consultation with you diabetic team for the safest options. My Consultant advises that post meal spikes are the normal for Type 1's and tend to lower to within range after 2 to 4 hours. Does your carbohydrate counting need an update. Also a libre user I find them intermittently widely inaccurate with as much as a full 7mmol of glucose inaccurate (showed 15.2 mmols when the blood test (Caresens and libre) showed 7.2. I'm advised to leave blood sugars for 2 hours post meals before I use Novorapid. I now calibrate my libre every morning to check how accurate it actually is :) Good luck

Hi, I was wanting to ask you a question if you don’t mind. With the libre sensor do you need to buy their reader? I looked into it and they mentioned the app works on the phone, but didn’t mention if you needed a reader or could go without. I have ordered a couple of sensors and was planning on using my phone, but if I can’t then it’s money down the drain. It doesn’t matter either way, I’m not going to switch permanently to the libre, I was just curious to monitor regular.
Hi, if you have and iPhone then the libre app will only work from an iPhone 7 up.
I’m currently using a 6 plus with the libre scanner.
Can’t quite justify spending several hundred quid on a new phone yet just for a specific app. :)

LOVE_LIFE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I'm a T1 looking for a bit of preliminary advice on blood glucose spikes after meals.

I've just started using a Libre, while it's fantastic I'm becoming a bit obsessed with getting my BGs under control.

What seems to be happening is I'm rising around early morning when I wake up then spiking high into 15/16 glucose count after eating breakfast. Then my BG drops to normal to low range during the day and then spikes high again after dinner into 12-15 range.

I'm meant to have fasting 5.3 target and 7 an hour after meals and I just wondered if anyone else had experiences with high spikes after eating, and if so what you did to remedy it?

I'm going to try upping my fast acting a little during these times and inject well before a meal so it's working quicker. I'm also going to check my basal insulin is the right amount.

i have similar problems with spiking bloods after meals, which fall later if i increase my humalog dose. breakfast is the worst time due to the dawn phonomonon. at certain times of the month my sugars can actually rise if i take Insulin. things that have helped me are: 1. avoid eating or injecting before 9.30am. 2. dont eat more than 60g carbs max at meals. 3. if i eat slow releasing carbs, split my humalog dose. 4. avoid foods that alter my digestion rate. I hope these insites help.

LOVE_LIFE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone checked the Delivery Device (Novopen Echo or FlexPen) to see if the amount of Insulin released is the same each time or if any is produced at all? Sometimes my fluctuations in BG levels relate to the Delivery Device issues rather than the Insulin itself. Could also be the needles, such as Novotwist.

moori

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!!
After 1.5 years of these highs and lows, i decided to try the low carb.
It does wonders, when i look at my Libra, it seems as though im not diabetic!!!
Definitely worth a try.

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Hi I read that you test 1 hour after food. I am on Novorapid and was told to test 2 hours after food! Just a thought

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Thelma 21,

Be wary of taking more insulin as you may experience more hypoglycemic episodes. It's possible that you need a higher insulin to carbohydrate ratio but do this in consultation with you diabetic team for the safest options. My Consultant advises that post meal spikes are the normal for Type 1's and tend to lower to within range after 2 to 4 hours. Does your carbohydrate counting need an update. Also a libre user I find them intermittently widely inaccurate with as much as a full 7mmol of glucose inaccurate (showed 15.2 mmols when the blood test (Caresens and libre) showed 7.2. I'm advised to leave blood sugars for 2 hours post meals before I use Novorapid. I now calibrate my libre every morning to check how accurate it actually is :) Good luck
I didn’t know you could ‘calibrate’ Libre! There was a recent software upgrade available on line from Abbots to make it more accurate, if you still haven’t done it.

CarolMac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Restaurants and fast food places sneak sugar in their foods, so it is hard for me to participate in social events involving food.
Hi everyone,

Are you on a low carbohydrate diet? The white food groups, such as rice & potatoes & breads along with starchy foods such as corn, beans, & peanuts raise up the blood sugars a couple hours after eating.