Dramatic decrease in insulin resistance

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been diabetic for 25 years and not experienced anything like this before so wanted to see if anyone else has the same issue.

All of a sudden, out of nowhere , I seem to have become super sensitive to insulin. My eating habits haven’t changed , it’s not been overly hot here , my sites haven’t changed and I can’t work it out.

I used to be on 1 unit for 9g during the day and then 1 to 10g in the evenings. I’ve been hypoing about an hour after eating so cut this back to 15g and it’s still happening. I’ve been running temp basals as well.

Last night before bed , my sugars were 3.1 and I ended up drinking 60g of fast acting carbs over an hour to get them up. Does anyone have any suggestions as I’m not doing anything different?

Thank you

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hormones? How old are you? I had that 2 months ago for 3 days, not a clue what was going on but it went back to normal so I ende up blaming my new socks.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Oh no. That must be frightening. Could it be the hot weather?

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Antje77 I’m 30. Maybe it’s just one of those things and there’s no reason for it !

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@sophc sadly for us at times there are odd things that happen with no explainable cause, it took me some years to work out that I could be on my best management form but things would go haywire for no apparent reason. It works out far better for your mental health to just write them off. ;-)

Reactions: Juicyj and sophc

Suz2

I have had the same problem for the past 6 weeks. Tanking was just killing me. I self adjusted my pump's basal and carb to unit ratio. That has helped.

The only change for me was that I had chronic pain that medication wasn't controlling and could not have epidural injections because I was on a blood thinner for a heart stent. When I came off the blood thinners I had the injection. I went from continuous pain to immense relief. That's when the blood sugar crashes started. Evidently the stress from the constant pain was the problem. Who knew?

Although I really like Antje77 blaming it on the new socks.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Perhaps ensure that your doctor checks your kidney function as a change in function may prevent insulin being removed from circulation quick enough and thus build up causing hypos. Hopefully that is not the answer!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I'd like to think it was my pancreas having a little flutter of life, but that's just wishful thinking..