How much does what you eat in the weeks before AIC test matter?

CowboyUp

I'm new. Was wondering how much what I ate in the week leading up to my A1C test mattered. I'm fat and overweight (but handsome). I guess I'm also dumb because in the last two weeks leading up to my A1C test (the very week before) I ate a lot of candy and sweets. I know the test is a snapshot of the prior 3 months, but wondering how the last weeks before the test affected my numbers. Anyone know or could point me to the right direction to figure that out?

Many thanks.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @CowboyUp Yes the HbA1c test is based on bg readings over the last 8-12 weeks, but is weighted more to the last 4 weeks prior to the test.
I have read that on here but can't point to where. I expect someone will be able to give more details.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The A1c is an average of the last few weeks rather than a snapshot. I would advise that you concentrate your efforts on staying on the waggon rather than worrying about the effects of a wobble in the past that you cannot change. We have all done it at some stage. Fingers crossed (bet you are pleasantly surprised at the result).

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@CowboyUp This might help:
Screenshot 2019-08-01 at 06.46.45.png

http://www.clinlabnavigator.com/hemoglobin-a1c.html

which is in this thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hba1c.30747/#post-289189

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @CowboyUp
You have been given excellent info above, but there is something else to bear in mind, which is pretty important:

Someone with normal glucose regulation can eat huge amounts of carbs and sugar and still get a normal HbA1c, because their body regulates their blood glucose to within 'normal' boundaries no matter what they eat.

On the other hand, someone with an HbA1c in the pre-d or diabetic range is someone whose body is not coping with those carbs. Doesn't matter if they eat badly for 2 years, 2 months or 2 weeks, their body is failing to cope.

So the answer is primarily to accept that there is something wonky about their body's glucose regulation, and then take steps to resolve it.

So if your results come back too high for normal, please don't just blame it on 2 weeks of sweet eating. Look deeper. Ask yourself what has been going wrong in the years and months prior to that which have ended up with your body not being able to cope on a deeper level.

Hope that helps. :)

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my A1C test mattered.
I just cherry picked that phrase to make my point.

The truth is your test does not matter it is a snap shot of the past telling you were you were at over the last 3 months if the answer is good then that's all gravy. if its bad it just lets you know if your heading in the right or wrong direction and have more work to do.

It is a useful tool to help you stay on track. ;)
:bag:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you fell off the wagon (and who can blame a cowboy for that :)) for a couple of weeks, provided you climb back in the saddle and be ready for the ride and remember not to drive black cattle in the dark, you are well on your way to a better Hb1AC next time.

As they say, "Any cowboy can carry a tune. The trouble comes when he tries to unload it."

(Sorry, I got a bit carried away with the cowboy sayings and don't mean to belittle your situation.)

@helensaramay have you been drinking. :D
:bag:

D

Deleted member 308541

guess I'm also dumb because in the last two weeks leading up to my A1C test (the very week before) I ate a lot of candy and sweets.
If you want to be serious about controling whatever diabetes you are diagnosed with, you will need to stop eating this junk.

I mean stop, no treats, or I deserve it excuses, your eyes and feet are the ones that deserve the consideration they are due.

Reactions: 1spuds and CowboyUp

CowboyUp

If you want to be serious about controling whatever diabetes you are diagnosed with, you will need to stop eating this junk.

I mean stop, no treats, or I deserve it excuses, your eyes and feet are the ones that deserve the consideration they are due.
I agree. That's what I'm learning. I'm a couple weeks in. But, I'm starting to see things clearer that's for sure.

Reactions: Prem51 and 1spuds

CowboyUp

Hi @CowboyUp
You have been given excellent info above, but there is something else to bear in mind, which is pretty important:

Someone with normal glucose regulation can eat huge amounts of carbs and sugar and still get a normal HbA1c, because their body regulates their blood glucose to within 'normal' boundaries no matter what they eat.

On the other hand, someone with an HbA1c in the pre-d or diabetic range is someone whose body is not coping with those carbs. Doesn't matter if they eat badly for 2 years, 2 months or 2 weeks, their body is failing to cope.

So the answer is primarily to accept that there is something wonky about their body's glucose regulation, and then take steps to resolve it.

So if your results come back too high for normal, please don't just blame it on 2 weeks of sweet eating. Look deeper. Ask yourself what has been going wrong in the years and months prior to that which have ended up with your body not being able to cope on a deeper level.

Hope that helps. :)
It does help, thank you for that info. In addition to learning about this all works. I think learning how to accept it will be the path to a better future for me.

I gotta get started on that. Giddy up, go Cowboy. I believe in you.