BG astronomical despite keto - Confused and upset

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I've been back on the keto wagon for a month now, with quite a lot of intermittent fasting (typically around 8:16).
My fasting blood sugar when I started was the same as when I was first diagnosed (hovering around 18).
Progress was slow but I saw it come down. I was hovering at between 12 and 13 FBG, and then it would drop to 10 for late morning and remain there most of the afternoon, maybe going up a point or two in the evening.

It's gone totally out of whack, guys. My blood sugar this morning was 17.7. I had my coffee and double cream, did 30 mins moderate exercise on my exercise bike, went food shopping. It dropped to 15.3 immediately following my exercise. But now 2 hours later, I tested at 17.8!.

6.50am: 17.7
7:13am: 16.2
7.49am: 15.3
9.28am: 15.7
10.07am: 17.8 (checked 3 times)
10.33am: 16.5
11.30am: 14.3

Edit: A couple of people have asked about the metre and strips. I've checked against my non-diabetic husband and also tried my backup metre which gives the same results. Batteries new and test strips in date.

I'm having no symptoms of high blood sugar, which is weird. I feel energised, no thirst, dry mouth, frequent urination, itching etc. Nothing. I feel exactly the way I used to when my sugars were in the 6's!

I am an anxious person and occasionally experience anxiety with no trigger. I experience mostly physical anxiety symptoms (stomach churning, general sense of dread, not necessarily any intrusive thoughts). I have been experiencing this relatively frequently over the period i'm concerned about. I know cortisol can raise blood sugar but I can't find any information about the extent to which it can contribute.

My GP is the absolute worst and i'm loathed to go back just to be stuck on insulin, especially when I've seen excellent results with low carb and exercise in the past.

What do you guys think? Is BG this high after a month of diligent low-carbing and walking fully attributable to stress/anxiety? Or could something else be at play here?

I am confident and knowledgeable and there's no carb creep happening, i'm eating 'real' food - my only 'cheat' is a cheesecake type dessert (but the only non 'real' ingredient is a small amount of erithrytol) and occasional Oppo ice cream, I am walking briskly 2 miles a day. I was already frustrated that my efforts weren't showing the same results as last time I went super low carb and was diligently exercising. At this point i'm actually a bit upset, and naturally producing a load of stress hormones....Potentially a bit of a vicious cycle, but we're not all born with perfectly wired brains.

Edit to add some background info:
Typical day as follows
Wake up - Coffee and cream, metformin
7-8am - 1 mile brisk walk
Noon - Lunch (cucumber, 4 cherry tomatoes, cheese, 2/3 slices cooked meat, small # of nuts, sometimes 2 squares 85% chocolate - metformin
2pm - 1 mile brisk walk
6/7pm - evening meal - usually meat and veg - Metformin

Treats (2/3 times a week maybe?)
'Cheesecake' - made out of cream, cream cheese and sweetener
Scoop and a bit of Oppo ice cream

Last edited:

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I'll have a read of that thread.
I tested my husband's BG and it was as expected. I've changed the battery and the test strips so quite confident its right.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
How confident are you that your bg meter is in good working order, are the strips you are using in date and been stored correctly. If you're sure the readings are accurate I would be heading to the dr's

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pretty confident.
I've checked my non-diabetic husband and it's as expected. Cross checked with my backup metre and it's currently identical (14.3 down from 17.8 one hour ago...)

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sorry you are having trouble

I went LCHF on diagnosis many years ago (can't really remember but about 9 or 10) it was amazing! went from mid 20's (incidentally had and have never had any symptoms whatsoever when BG is high) to perfect 4-5, I was cured!

A few years on, LCHF stopped working and my BG crept up... and up.... and up ugh!

I think my pancreas was very happy with the LC diet so had a bit of a rest? maybe there was still some insulin in there and as I didn't need as much, it worked well for me, see the thing is, whilst low carbing, we still need insulin all be it in smaller amounts. So I assume I have now run out of what little I was making and therefore LCHF no longer works as well as it did to keep BG's down and I need a little "help".

This may not be the case with you, just sharing really.

Without the insulin I enjoy similar numbers to you (whilst eating low carb), this is not great long term so you need to find out whats causing it, if you maybe need a little "help", its nothing to worry about (more of a pain in the neck) and its an awesome way to get those numbers where they should be, which is after all the most important thing.

The bad news is, now I take insulin, I still need to low carb as otherwise I get crazy spikes, up and down

I have never had one but apparently a C-Peptide test is a good idea, if you can convince your doc to do it.

Best wishes

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sorry you are having trouble

I think my pancreas was very happy with the LC diet so had a bit of a rest? maybe there was still some insulin in there and as I didn't need as much, it worked well for me, see the thing is, whilst low carbing, we still need insulin all be it in smaller amounts. So I assume I have now run out of what little I was making and therefore LCHF no longer works as well as it did to keep BG's down and I need a little "help".

This really helps to read, to be honest. Even when searching through this forum and the internet at large, I can't seem to find much about people who are diligently keto-ing and not lowering their blood sugar. It just seems like such a silver bullet for everyone.

At least this tells me that maybe this does just happen to some people.

Reactions: Prem51 and 1spuds

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
This really helps to read, to be honest. Even when searching through this forum and the internet at large, I can't seem to find much about people who are diligently keto-ing and not lowering their blood sugar. It just seems like such a silver bullet for everyone.

Ohhhh yes! constantly reading how well everyone is doing is very hard when you are struggling, regardless of trying hard, I feel your pain.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi and it seems sensible to me that you should get your insulin levels checked given your diligence at sticking to low carb, exercise and fasting. The other factor is stress/anxiety or illness which can send blood sugars up quite rapidly as those who have to inject insulin will know even if you don't feel very ill. Female hormones definitely throw me out too.
The point is other than the recent spikes do you feel this way of living is working for you? Don't be afraid to try other avenues if after you've been tested for insulin deficiency, this approach isn't making you happy and well enough.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and it seems sensible to me that you should get your insulin levels checked given your diligence at sticking to low carb, exercise and fasting. The other factor is stress/anxiety or illness which can send blood sugars up quite rapidly as those who have to inject insulin will know even if you don't feel very ill. Female hormones definitely throw me out too.
The point is other than the recent spikes do you feel this way of living is working for you? Don't be afraid to try other avenues if after you've been tested for insulin deficiency, this approach isn't making you happy and well enough.

I do suspect there's some comorbidity factors. I'm approaching an under-active thyroid and will presumably need medication for that soon, so that could be messing things up (although I think standard medication for this is likely to raise blood sugar, helpfully...). I used to have problems when I was more severely overweight (100lbs heavier) with heavy periods etc, they looked for PCOS but couldn't find anything unusual. But I always feel like there might be some weird hangover in that area that could impact things.

I am anxious, often. I've been very anxious this week and levels have been particularly high.

I'm pretty happy on LCHF at the moment. Funnily enough happier than I was when I first tried it with amazing results! The only thing that isn't working for me is my terrible blood sugar....

Suspect I need another doctor trip. I'll need to find a new GP...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's always possible that you are late onset T1 and not T2 and in the honeymoon period? If you are not overweight then do ask the GP for the two tests for T1. If insulin is needed then don't panic as it really works and you soon get used to it

Reactions: Prem51

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. It's always possible that you are late onset T1 and not T2 and in the honeymoon period? If you are not overweight then do ask the GP for the two tests for T1. If insulin is needed then don't panic as it really works and you soon get used to it

I'm definitely overweight and suspect I was diabetic for quite some time prior to diagnosis so suspect T2 is right on the money. My dad was 25 when he was diagnosed with Type 1 though.

Trying to be philosophical about insulin. Whatever works, right?
I'm perhaps a little bit unfairly bitter and envious of all the people doing exactly what i'm doing but with BG readings in the 4s and 5s! Which is what's making me feel so sad about it, I reckon.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
....Now down to 9.5 from 17.7 this morning. Dammit, body, what are you doing?

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
unfairly bitter and envious
Is it possible you are misinterpreting your feelings? Are you perhaps really, really frustrated at the unfairness of life? That's not bitter or envious, it's justified! Can't find an emoji that works here but it would be a sort of hug with intent to fight something large and unreasonable - a Thor/Hulk hug!

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it possible you are misinterpreting your feelings? Are you perhaps really, really frustrated at the unfairness of life? That's not bitter or envious, it's justified! Can't find an emoji that works here but it would be a sort of hug with intent to fight something large and unreasonable - a Thor/Hulk hug!

That's a very kind and generous interpretation. Maybe (hopefully) you're right. Frustration is exactly the right word. And I could do with some Avenger level strength and determination right now! Thank you for being kind.

ShortStuff

I’m sorry to hear this.

It’s SO hard when you’re doing your best & it’s just not showing on your meter

Long post to follow- but short story is ‘get your meter checked via your DN or the manufacturer.

My efforts are currently not being rewarded by my meter results, I’m hoping it’s the meter being a little &&@£)!!

I used to have an Aveva Nano - loved it. Last year the hospital gave me a pura life(?) a few months ago I thought the readings weren’t right so I tested against my old one which read higher but it kept draining the battery almost immediately I took them to my DN & asked to check against hers and hers was lower than both of mine and she said she didn’t like the pura ones at all and she gave me aa Aveva Perfotma

When I got home I tested the new Perfotma & the Pura the Performa was higher than the Pura (which was higher than the DN’s) & my old Nano.

Both were ‘in range’ with test liquid

Blardy things. I will check again st my next appointment, but I don’t really want to bother her again especially as she said to ring them manufacturer if there’s a meter problem (I haven’t as they’d just say it’s ‘in range’ according to the solution’

I’m just assuming my HbA1c test will be better than my readings!

But mine is only out about 1 not loads like yours.

I REALLY hope it is just a meter problem

Best wishes

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m sorry to hear this.

I REALLY hope it is just a meter problem

I would love it to be a metre problem, but I really don't think it is. My back-up metre (different brand) reads the same way (basically identical readings). I got my husband to test and his was as expected.

ShortStuff

I would love it to be a metre problem, but I really don't think it is. My back-up metre (different brand) reads the same way (basically identical readings). I got my husband to test and his was as expected.

Yes, I did read your posts - but I did/thought the same and it was the meter last time ‍♀️

I would feel the same as you if I had to take insulin, or for me, ANY meds, but I guess if we have to, we have to. Many on here do, so I guess it’s not all that bad.

I woke up from an emergency appendectomy last year to find they’d put me on insulin via a Canula - I wasn’t impressed At All.

Better insulin that high BG ❤️

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
kind and generous interpretation
no, not, it's a rational interpretation. The peeps have done such a good job of making t2 feel like it's our fault that this has happened- we are overweight, we don't eat right, we are lazy It's like a reverse of "a big boy did it and ran away", I feel the authorities are saying "your big boy did it and ran away! now find your boy...."

What I'm saying, in a rambling way is, you didn't make it, you didn't choose it (like you would), you aren't responsible for the appearance of same, you are responsible for not listening to people who don't have your interests at heart. Stupid people :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@BB8.HG - Could you be harbouring some sort of infection, or other affliction? Lots of folks report that can send their numbers quite wonky. With those numbers you can't be feeling tip-top?

Secondly, if you're "approaching an under-active thyroid", you may already have an under-active thyroid. The UK diagnostic thresholds are high, by comparison to many countries, so it's important to actually know the numbers.

Should you end up being diagnosed as hypothyroid, please don't be concerned about the treatment regime. I take Levothyroxine to help my thyroid along a bit. I've not been on it eons, but having been taking it 8 or 9 months, my HbA1c was it's best ever.

A person with hypothyroidism islikely to have an off-balance metabolic system. Getting the medication right can make that so much better, and can help diabetes. That said, it can take quite a while to get the doasages right.

In your shoes, I'd ask my Doc for a decent, broad blood test panel, including Vitamin D, B12, Ferritin and Folate. I'd also be having my blood test donw as early as possible as our thyroids in particular vary during the day, so a nice early test helps standardise things.

Good luck with it all.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BB8.HG - Could you be harbouring some sort of infection, or other affliction? Lots of folks report that can send their numbers quite wonky. With those numbers you can't be feeling tip-top?

Secondly, if you're "approaching an under-active thyroid", you may already have an under-active thyroid. The UK diagnostic thresholds are high, by comparison to many countries, so it's important to actually know the numbers.

Should you end up being diagnosed as hypothyroid, please don't be concerned about the treatment regime. I take Levothyroxine to help my thyroid along a bit. I've not been on it eons, but having been taking it 8 or 9 months, my HbA1c was it's best ever.

A person with hypothyroidism islikely to have an off-balance metabolic system. Getting the medication right can make that so much better, and can help diabetes. That said, it can take quite a while to get the doasages right.

In your shoes, I'd ask my Doc for a decent, broad blood test panel, including Vitamin D, B12, Ferritin and Folate. I'd also be having my blood test donw as early as possible as our thyroids in particular vary during the day, so a nice early test helps standardise things.

Good luck with it all.
Thank you! That's really useful. I'll definitely revisit the thyroid issue.

Weirdly, I feel great, other than the anxiety over the last few days! I feel like I did when I was low carbing previously any my numbers were in the 5s and 6s. Energised, no symptoms, no fatigue.
It's really very strange, I'd expect to feel rubbish.