Type 1 High blood sugars after a Steroid injection

sarahjb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Yesterday I had an Image guided Steroid injection into my shoulder to help ease the pain of Frozen Shoulder. I was warned to keep an eye on my bloods as they were likely to be high for the next few days. Well so far they haven't dropped below 20, peaking at 28! I have been eating as normal and injecting to what my meter tells me after blood tests, also testing more often than usual. Anyone else had this happen to this extent? Would be nice to know that I'm not the only one. Also, should I increase my Basal to help for the next few days? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, welcome,
I think @SueJB is going through this at the moment too.
Have you spoken to your team to discuss what you should do?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had chemo a few years ago and was warned that steroids would raise BG levels by a large amount. They weren't wrong! Regularly over 30!!!

I guess for a short time it is what it is.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @sarahjb
I'm having the same problem right now so you're not alone. If you also read the thread Type '1 Stars R Us, I was given lots of support there and I think it would help you.
I've only had T1 for 2 yrs so I'm just learning.

The main thing about this steroid injection I've found, just like you, that BG is much higher than I've ever experienced and that I'm having to inject far more bolus and have increased basal too. As @helensaramay says, insulin resistance and I don't know what happens about this after the steroid has dissipated.

Anyway, don't worry. It's just what happens, put it down as a T1 learning curve. We'll be OK in a couple more days:)

sarahjb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @sarahjb
I'm having the same problem right now so you're not alone. If you also read the thread Type '1 Stars R Us, I was given lots of support there and I think it would help you.
I've only had T1 for 2 yrs so I'm just learning.

The main thing about this steroid injection I've found, just like you, that BG is much higher than I've ever experienced and that I'm having to inject far more bolus and have increased basal too. As @helensaramay says, insulin resistance and I don't know what happens about this after the steroid has dissipated.

Anyway, don't worry. It's just what happens, put it down as a T1 learning curve. We'll be OK in a couple more days:)
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm pretty new to the forum and also only diagnosed 2 years ago, so am happy to get any tips and advice.
Nice to know that someone else is experiencing the same thing.
Hope yours have started to return to normal, mine are still quite high, so fingers crossed!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm pretty new to the forum and also only diagnosed 2 years ago, so am happy to get any tips and advice.
Nice to know that someone else is experiencing the same thing.
Hope yours have started to return to normal, mine are still quite high, so fingers crossed!
Morning @sarahjb Coming down slowly, got into single figure this morning so very happy. It's been a week since the injection. Hope yours is coming down