Type 2 Low blood pressure and sleep issues

Sallyso

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello lovely people. :)

Since I was diagnosed T2 last March I have lost 2 stone by adopting a low carb way of life. I also walk or cycle 40 mins most mornings. I am on a special combined statin (Ezetimibe/Atorvastatin) because my triglycerides were very high although I intend to come off all that once I have my next blood check in October. I also take Turmeric and Boswellia supplements for OA. I have being doing fine and feeling so much better but lately my sleep isn't too good. I wake up at 4am with an overwhelming need to get up and do things. It's almost as though I have too much energy. By contrast during the day, my blood pressure has been around 95/60 lately and I feel dizzy when I get up from a chair. Heart rate is low too, around 54 a minute at rest. Does anybody know what these issues could be? Many thanks.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello lovely people. :)

Since I was diagnosed T2 last March I have lost 2 stone by adopting a low carb way of life. I also walk or cycle 40 mins most mornings. I am on a special combined statin (Ezetimibe/Atorvastatin) because my triglycerides were very high although I intend to come off all that once I have my next blood check in October. I also take Turmeric and Boswellia supplements for OA. I have being doing fine and feeling so much better but lately my sleep isn't too good. I wake up at 4am with an overwhelming need to get up and do things. It's almost as though I have too much energy. By contrast during the day, my blood pressure has been around 95/60 lately and I feel dizzy when I get up from a chair. Heart rate is low too, around 54 a minute at rest. Does anybody know what these issues could be? Many thanks.
are you on any blood pressure medication?

Reactions: Sallyso

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello @Sallyso welcome to the forum
I was wondering if lack of salt in your diet could be a factor. When I had high blood pressure I was told to reduce the salt in my diet so I think it's possible that too little salt could also be a problem. Also are you drinking plenty of water.

Sallyso

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How high was "very high" and how long had you fasted before the blood was taken?
My trigs were nearly 300 but it has been an ongoing issue for years. I was changed to 3 types of statins to try and control this... nothing worked. Always fasted the normal 12 hours before blood test. I have been puzzled because I don't drink, I have lived 35 years in Spain and followed a mediterranean diet (lot's of olive oil, gazpacho, salads, olives etc.) I was put on statins at 35 and told it was family related... I have a feeling that all those years of taking statins may have contributed to me having T2/metabolic syndrome.

Sallyso

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Sallyso welcome to the forum
I was wondering if lack of salt in your diet could be a factor. When I had high blood pressure I was told to reduce the salt in my diet so I think it's possible that too little salt could also be a problem. Also are you drinking plenty of water.
Yes, perhaps that is the cause of the low blood pressure. I have an eggcup mix of himalayan salt and 'low salt' for the potassium and I put a pinch in with every drink I have ... with the heat over here perhaps I need just a bit more than a pinch.

Reactions: Barbara93

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This morning I awoke to a BP of 95/61 with heart rate of 55 bpm.

So you are not alone in this it happens to me quite often my potassium levels are if any thing are on the high side.

Pulse rates below 60 can be considered as mild bradycardia.

It all normally picks up during the day though but on occasion has happened later in the day also.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just borrowed my mum-in-law's bloodpressure meter because of recent palpatations... (And not sleeping a wink lately either) It's on the low side, heart rate too. Will test again when the palpatations happen, but wanted to have a baseline to go from. I'd been taking extra salt, but lately I seem to have forgotten about it a lot. So yeah... The salt thing/blood pressure could be an issue. In processed foods there's so much salt added (besides carbs), and when you go LCHF that really does reduce the salt intake dramatically.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just borrowed my mum-in-law's bloodpressure meter because of recent palpatations... (And not sleeping a wink lately either) It's on the low side, heart rate too. Will test again when the palpatations happen, but wanted to have a baseline to go from. I'd been taking extra salt, but lately I seem to have forgotten about it a lot. So yeah... The salt thing/blood pressure could be an issue. In processed foods there's so much salt added (besides carbs), and when you go LCHF that really does reduce the salt intake dramatically.

perhaps a coincidence @JoKalsbeek
but i was feeling off colour a few weeks back.29 july

struggled through week, but friday night felt very poorly

Just felt drained, after having eaten my normal amout/foods, so couldn't think it was that.

have bought a tracker (chinese £7..bargain ) ..did have one previous great for the exercise and steps etc, but no BP

This new one had BP and Sp02, alongside HR etc.
checked the BP at wrist (yeah, i know it's not as accurate, but it does give me a trend to follow, and not far off the Cuff i also use)
and the Bp had dropped, very similar reading to @Sallyso

heart rate dipped as well, but i do get that a fair bit, so under the 60pm not unexpected.
drove home, checked blood 5.8.
still felt drained cup of tea then bed.

Next morning still rough, been of work since. two weeks today.

What struck me when i wondered what it was, was we had that heatwave here that time, sure Holland, France etc had worse.
so i guzzled lots of water to re hydrate, BUT as you point out although i now add salt due to the loss of not eating all the salts etc in processed foods...but if i am honest i had probably stopped adding so much..and in all probability actually dropped the amount while the heatwave was here.

Once i realised IT might be that i upped the salt, and now seem fine.

I will for the sake of clarity say i had run out of metformin, and while i had ordered had not collected and thought..it's only metformin, i'll just wait.
Mix up/tech error on line meant the order did not go through, so i was (around the same time) without the metformin for about a week before i went off sick..don't think it was that, but began taking as soon as i could, so MIGHT have been that. that was the culprit.

Either way all sorted now, i know if it gets hot here and i drink way more then usual, to up my salt intake.at least

just thought it might be useful to others.

Reactions: Sallyso