Palpitations

Tux 56

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all, I’ve been low carb dieting for some time now as presented with HBA1c of 46. I have lowered it to 43 on my last reading. I’ve lost a good stone in weight which was welcome. Weight has now stabilised. BMI is in the healthy range. However I have been getting palpitations which are quite distressing at times.
Having googled low carb diets and palpitations I have noticed a link.
It would be interesting to know if anyone on this forum has had these symptoms too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes @Tux 56 I get them when I go too low carb.
Since suffering I've had heart health investigations. My heart was fine but I was starting with atherosclerosis all over not just in the LAD of my heart.
Please tell your GP incase he/she wants to investigate too.
I found reintroducing lower glucose carbs again the palpitations stopped.

Tux 56

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes @Tux 56 I get them when I go too low carb.
Since suffering I've had heart health investigations. My heart was fine but I was starting with atherosclerosis all over not just in the LAD of my heart.
Please tell your GP incase he/she wants to investigate too.
I found reintroducing lower glucose carbs again the palpitations stopped.

Thank you @ ickihun. I’m in the process of investigations having seen a cardiologist. Unfortunately I’ve only just become aware of this information.
Could you possibly list lower glucose carbs for me?
Also LAD of the heart. What is this?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I’ve been low carb dieting for some time now as presented with HBA1c of 46. I have lowered it to 43 on my last reading. I’ve lost a good stone in weight which was welcome. Weight has now stabilised. BMI is in the healthy range. However I have been getting palpitations which are quite distressing at times.
Having googled low carb diets and palpitations I have noticed a link.
It would be interesting to know if anyone on this forum has had these symptoms too.
I just a few seconds ago posted about this elsewhere:

"I just borrowed my mum-in-law's bloodpressure meter because of recent palpitations... (And not sleeping a wink lately either) It's on the low side, heart rate too. Will test again when the palpitations happen, but wanted to have a baseline to go from. I'd been taking extra salt, but lately I seem to have forgotten about it a lot. So yeah... The salt thing/blood pressure could be an issue. In processed foods there's so much salt added (besides carbs), and when you go LCHF that really does reduce the salt intake dramatically. "

Reactions: Tux 56