Type 1'stars R Us

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Once your body has got over the stress of your steroid injection, your insulin sensitivity will return to normal.
When that happens could be days or weeks away (my steroid impact lasted 2 weeks others have said a few days). That is one reason for the extra testing: so you can catch the return as soon as possible and return your insulin dose to normal.
Normality will resume.
Thanks that's really good to know @helensaramay My fitngers are getting quite bruised with all the extra testing

Last edited:

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning my pancreatically challenged chums, hope you all had a good night

Last night for about 30 minutes we had torrential rain, it was really bouncing off the roads. The roads themselves were flooded quite badly before quickly draining away

Usual Saturday night for me, Chicken Bhunna and a smallish piece of nan bread and 4 pieces of pakora. Bloods great between 6pm and bed at 11.30 with a final BG of 6.1 going to bed. I had dual bolused on pump at 6 pm for 5 hours so that should be OK. Once again a big fat NO. Woke up at 5.15 to a BG that had risen constantly and and settled at 13.6. Bunged in 5 units and woke at 9am to BG of 6.2.

I know its only 1 day a week but I need to get a handle on the rising BG when I have an Indian

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Apologies if I trying to teach you to suck eggs but you should be able to finger prick without getting major bruising.
- warm your hands first so the blood flows easily and you do not need to squeeze your finger. Shaking your hands helps. But remember to do that before pricking (as I learnt from experience when wearing a white shirt).
- adjust prick depth (no sniggering boys) to the minimum needed to get some blood
- prick the side of your finger. Not the pad.
- change the lancet at least every other time but preferably each prick.
- rotate your fingers. If one finger starts to hurt miss it out. Don't forget thumbs.
@helensaramay that's fine for the reminder. Funnily enough, when first diagnosed I was told not to use my thumb or the finger next to it, don't know why, possibly something to do with doing buttons up with.
So I've only been using 6 digits, heavy work load.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
In other news....

Planing a "naked" lamb burger & salad tonight & a quiet night in listening to euro metal..

Just found this well produced gem.. A sort of "I will survive" for the head bangers out there..

Enjoy!

I love Archenemy! I saw them at Wembley Arena a couple of years ago and they were brilliant :) She really does sing like that - it's not dubbed or anything.

Reactions: Jaylee

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I spent the whole night in the 4's. It's not something I aim for, as a bit too close to hypo territory for comfort but I still love it when it happens :). Finger prick said 4.9 upon waking, Libre said 3.9 with an almost perfectly straight line between 3.1 and 3.9 (all in annoying red of course) so I suppose I've been hovering between 4 and 5.
Wish I knew how I pulled that trick off though. If I knew I would repeat it every night but just the slightest bit higher :hilarious:

The walk yesterday morning may have helped but I don't think it's very likely as it hasn't happened before on days with about the same intensity of exercise. Had a late and quite carby dinner and I was kind of annoyed with myself for eating so late that my after dinner numbers had only about settled when I went to sleep, so food isn't a likely cause of the flat line either.

Back to the color of my underwear I guess (haven't worn socks for weeks so we can rule that out).
I'm afraid I'll never be sure, but I'll scan my sensor a bit more often than usual today, only to admire that pretty line on the screen again :cool:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Oh, and good morning everyone! I have to make seitan bacon today, which is worth it just for the fact I like to have it with my weekday brekkies. Other than that, my lappie reports that it's very sorry but it could do with a little more storage space please, so I think I'll have to do some shuffling onto backups. I'd love a bigger solid state drive in there but I'll need to buy one first, so that husband can instal it for me.

Reactions: hh1 and Antje77

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I think I spent the whole night in the 4's. It's not something I aim for, as a bit too close to hypo territory for comfort but I still love it when it happens :). Finger prick said 4.9 upon waking, Libre said 3.9 with an almost perfectly straight line between 3.1 and 3.9 (all in annoying red of course) so I suppose I've been hovering between 4 and 5.
Wish I knew how I pulled that trick off though. If I knew I would repeat it every night but just the slightest bit higher :hilarious:

The walk yesterday morning may have helped but I don't think it's very likely as it hasn't happened before on days with about the same intensity of exercise. Had a late and quite carby dinner and I was kind of annoyed with myself for eating so late that my after dinner numbers had only about settled when I went to sleep, so food isn't a likely cause of the flat line either.

Back to the color of my underwear I guess (haven't worn socks for weeks so we can rule that out).
I'm afraid I'll never be sure, but I'll scan my sensor a bit more often than usual today, only to admire that pretty line on the screen again :cool:

If it's not your socks it's your knickers, stands to reason!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I tend to pick which finger (side of pad, not pad itself) according to how much of a bleeder I know it is there. Ring fingers bleed like the clappers, gushing fountains of the stuff - very useful on freezing days when most fingers are looking at me and laughing. If I'm warm in bed then it's baby fingers, 'cos they don't bleed all that freely. The rest are in betweenies, and get used more or less at random.

Reactions: Kim Possible

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I've heard through the grapevine that DAFNE is being updated to include a module called "Diabetes and Decadence - how to relax in a lovely hot bath without your cgm sensor falling off."

The initial drafts are advocating reclining in the bath with the sensor arm hanging loosely over the side of the bath in a louche, rakish fashion so as to (a) keep the sensor out of the water, and (b) hold a glass of champagne.

I'm starting the DAFNE course this week, (well the general fist course meeting is this week,) so I'll let you know. I've bought some kinesiology tape that was recommended here so it's waterproof enough to swim with. It's bright pink.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Bacon pressing nicely; in about half an hour it can go in the oven. I make some flavoured one way and natural white colour, and another batch flavoured differently and very pink/red (smoky paprika, tomato paste, liquid smoke & soy sauce). Then roll out in pieces and layer the pieces so I get pink/white/pink. Oddly the white bits are oilier than the pink. I end up with stripy seitan bacon!

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ert I tried using kinesiology tape for swimming but abandoned it as I couldn't find a way to wrap it round my own arm and keep it on. If you've got someone to help, should be fine. I abandoned it as I already use transparent plaster (originally Tegaderm, now Hydrofilm - I get mine from the diabetes nurse at my GP's surgery so I take whatever they're allowed to give out. I know some people on here don't have helpful surgeries and buy Tegaderm from a pharmacy). That on its own worked fine for me; getrs a bit tatty after a week or so and then I trim it and bung another one on top. I guess it may also depend on how long you stay in the water; usually about half an hour for me.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Sorry to hear that.. You have my commiserations.

Is it more a scratch, or have the panel/s been creased?
Luckily just a scratch.
Lady in the next road over may have solved the mystery for me. Just chatting and she mentioned our road being blocked off last week to a removal van that was “struggling to get into a space.”

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love Archenemy! I saw them at Wembley Arena a couple of years ago and they were brilliant :) She really does sing like that - it's not dubbed or anything.

Certainly one of the most coherent vocalists of that genre.. :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
@ert I tried using kinesiology tape for swimming but abandoned it as I couldn't find a way to wrap it round my own arm and keep it on. If you've got someone to help, should be fine. I abandoned it as I already use transparent plaster (originally Tegaderm, now Hydrofilm - I get mine from the diabetes nurse at my GP's surgery so I take whatever they're allowed to give out. I know some people on here don't have helpful surgeries and buy Tegaderm from a pharmacy). That on its own worked fine for me; getrs a bit tatty after a week or so and then I trim it and bung another one on top. I guess it may also depend on how long you stay in the water; usually about half an hour for me.
Oh, I've just cut a small rectangle and placed it over the sensor. It said on for two weeks in just baths.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends, I feel like death from a few hours sleep. But diabetes not too bad - 7.1. I am quite hungry so @Wutwo’s stripy seitan sounds good. I’ll go find the biggest bowl :D
I was going through photos from summer last year and I looked different - cleaner skin, longer hair & makeup was on point too. I have an eyeshadow palette called blood sugar so I packed it on my eyes so much. I guess not the natural day look

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I was only told to avoid the pad so have been using 8 or 10 digits for 15 years with no trouble.
Actually, I split my day into 4, separated by meals and sleep and allocate a finger per time slot. My little finger is breakfast to lunch, ring finger is lunch to evening meal... pointy finger is bedtime and through the night. Then my thumb is backup in case of finger injury.
And I nearly alternate hands. Left hand for odd dates (yesterday - the 3rd) and right hand today. It results in a slight left hand bias on months with odd numbers of days but it is easy to remember.
Brilliant, thank you so much. I'll give it a go because although I know I need to vary the fingers, i forget what the last one I used was

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily just a scratch.
Lady in the next road over may have solved the mystery for me. Just chatting and she mentioned our road being blocked off last week to a removal van that was “struggling to get into a space.”

You seem to be doing the detective work.
But it's going to be hard work getting the company the vehicle was registered to, to accept responsibility... :(

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Luckily just a scratch.

All you have to do now is find out who remembers which company the van was from. They'll have logs of which vehicle went where when, so that could be very helpful!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All you have to do now is find out who remembers which company the van was from. They'll have logs of which vehicle went where when, so that could be very helpful!

Alas, @WuTwo . I feel the leverage of a reliable eye witness will be needed the company may not give that information freely?

Many years ago, I was sat stationary in a line of queuing traffic. A lorry coming the other way & turning left hit me with the tailgate as he swung round, then drove on.. I jumped out, chased the lorry on foot & caught up with the guy at some lights..
I scared the guy as I yanked the door to his cab open..

Now, I got his full name, description, reg & company name.. That was all the leverage I needed. But they still initially tried it on, saying the driver had not reported an accident..
Lol, they knew I hadn't pulled his details out of thin air... They paid up eventually after I got my insurance to deal with them.