What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A nice ending to the week
Apart from last Monday the weeks been mid 5's

Today a sunshine Sunday 5.7

Off out for a drive, soon....missus wants to go to a Goan fair, Southall way.
Hoping the fresh air helps blow away this :***: feeling.

Have a pleasant Sunday all..:)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Boat maintenance beckons. I bought the paint for the engine, but so far it is still in the can. Maybe today is the day?

Got to do something to raise morale, as to quote Pete Townshend 1971, "Meet the new boss". "Same as the old boss". Meaning my FBG at 0615hrs was a very boring 7.4 mmo/lt.

I guess one just has to wait for nature. If you've abused your body for 40 years it isn't going to flick a switch and say "Don't worry. You're cured of T2 diabetes!" after a few weeks of LCHF and no booze.

For me the key is the weight control, down again. The joys of the engine bay await.

I found it took best part of a week or two to get back to normal levels after holiday fun

Enjoy the painting ;)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One misty moisty morning
When cloudy was the weather
I chanced to meet an old man
All clothed in leather
And riding on a Triumph
(Or was it a Suzuki?)
He grinned at me and I grinned back
And said, "Good morning, Pookie!"

Reactions: HarryBeau

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Done. awaiting email.
I'm not very tech savvy. Understatement. I think I've got to give each individual access. It says you might be able to edit which would be great as surgery have original and it's a pdf so I cant. When you get a min could you let me know if you can 1) view it and 2) edit. Thanks a million!!!!!

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher what a great head shot of that butterfly. I love that little face.

I also love raspberries.

My little finger got a hefty 7.1 from my meter this morning so I tried a new finger and got a 6.5. I hope this new finger is looking forward to being stabbed again tomorrow morning; its usual related function is to give me i's and k's and commas, when I check in here.

Reactions: karen8967

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Cumberland

birthday.gif

(I'm sorry it's late -- I hope you had a wonderful day)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 today - expected after kebab night (no pita) wine (2 large) and a few mixed nuts.

Thanks to those trying to access my leaflet. Leave it with me for a whole while I work on it!

In the meantime here is my.lastest social media post. Lots going on here so hence short message and BIG copy and paste!

EXTREMELY LONG STATUS ALERT, EVEN LONGER THAN MY USUAL!!!

VERY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

When I met Eric 33 years ago, we fell in love the very first night.....right after he told me he owned a jewellers . of course I'm joking. Not about falling in love that first night, but he didn't tell me he owned a jewellers, just that he worked in one. Eric would never lie, not in a million years. He is the most trustworthy person you will ever meet. An absolute diamond for a jewellers (see what I did there ). Not just trustworthy but great with customers (they love him, he is a real gem!!!), excellent phone manner (good old fashioned manners deserving of a gold award!!!).

Eric was employed as a working jeweller (repairing and making bespoke pieces) at the tender age of 15. He was trained by the best, Graham Clayton. He took to it well. Eric has always been good with his hands. He almost went into joinery after getting an O Level (old style GCSE). in woodwork, but as fate would have it he was suggested to Graham as having a wonderful character and great potential by Patty Ryan, who Eric worked for in a fancy goods shop in south shore from the age of 12. When all the other kids of his age were playing footy he was beavering away (not by choice, his parents thought it would be good for him!). Always had an amazing work ethic. Never late (believe me he is like clockwork!!!) And get this, 6 days off sick in 41 years! That HAS to be a Guinness book of records entry!

He LOVES his job. It's in his blood. He understands sentimentality like no other. People have brought in worn out family heirlooms, relics, broken bits and bats wondering if anything could be done as these 'bits and bats' hold precious memories in their hearts. Could any kind of magic be performed? They expected the worst. But Eric would look and say 'I can do it, but I cant guarantee it'. Tears would flow, jewellery brought back to life, treasured memories reborn. One very special piece being our own daughters. Her granny (my mum) got a necklace for her 50th from her beloved sister Bernie (my mum didn't wear jewellery, not even a watch) that was passed to my Amma on her demise, Eric made it into a bracelet and Amma has never taken it off, only when it needed a little TLC by the great man himself. It is my daughters most treasured possession, apart from her wedding ring. If you saw how thin it was you would realise what an amazing job Eric has done keeping it going. Eric just loves to bring things back to life. Or make something special. 'Eric can you make that necklace Holly Willoughby has on?' Reply 'yep!'.

Over 41 years there have been so many of these special moments. Then you have the last minute wedding rings, ring sizes just in time to say 'I do'. And so many rodiums (making old white gold glisten like new, speaking from my own experience, all my rings are second hand but you would never know). Other jewellers from the surrounding area bring jobs to Eric they wouldnt dare tackle. Too nervous of cocking things up. He does these jobs no problem (maybe a couple of swear words in between!). He is **** good. And that's an understatement.

I could go on about Eric and his time at Claytons all night but this status would also be in the Guinness book of records!

Eric has come to a turning point in his life. He is full of mixed emotions. He will be leaving the job he adores on 21st August. Not just the job he loves but the people, who are much more than colleagues. They are friends. Dear friends. Vicki is the no. 1 (or soon will be) His bosses Graham and Jeanette have been wonderful all down the years. They have always been so very good to us and our family and have given us some amazing memories. They treated Eric like their own. Eric took their sons to school as little ones and has watched them grow into fine young men who now have beautiful wives and children of their own.

This is a MASSIVE step for my Ezzy. But the time feels right. He has worked long and hard. Life is short. Carpe diem as we say.

There have been hard times for us financially and emotionally down the years but Eric has been our rock. And his job has given us stability. Eric you are amazing inside and out and we love you.

Eric's dad is now 90 and getting increasingly frail. His brother Patrick's health has taken a turn for the worse so now is a good time to change direction. Family is what it's all about, as tough as it is at times.

He won't be retiring completely and will be moving across to our small family business so he will have a new boss .. I believe she is quite a good boss, she runs with flexi hours and encourages lie ins and early finishes when the sun's out, she doesnt crack the whip (he might be disappointed with that one!) Generally quite easy going and enjoys the odd business lunch or 3 (did someone say Beachhouse) . But she does expect commitment. I think she is on a winner he has proved himself time and time again and of course part of his job will be taking a more prolific grandad role, both to our beautiful Willow and the new arrival expected very early January .. He will also be helping me with my work in the community with Diabetes Awareness and weight loss so it looks like he will be busier than ever! He has told me he is looking forward to Saturdays off, I replied 'dream on' .

So if anyone has anything they need Eric to look at LOOK SHARP! That said the business will still continue well after Eric has gone, and it is an amazing business.

SO PLEASE ALL BE UPSTANDING AND RAISE YOUR GLASSES TO THE ONE, THE ONLY, THE AMAZING ERIC SCOTT.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher what a great head shot of that butterfly. I love that little face.

I also love raspberries.

My little finger got a hefty 7.1 from my meter this morning so I tried a new finger and got a 6.5. I hope this new finger is looking forward to being stabbed again tomorrow morning; its usual related function is to give me i's and k's and commas, when I check in here.

:happy:
Thank you
I adore the "expressions" on their faces!

That finger will find it is popular now :bag:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 today - expected after kebab night (no pita) wine (2 large) and a few mixed nuts.

Thanks to those trying to access my leaflet. Leave it with me for a whole while I work on it!

In the meantime here is my.lastest social media post. Lots going on here so hence short message and BIG copy and paste!

When I met Eric 33 years ago, we fell in love the very first night.....right after he told me he owned a jewellers . of course I'm joking. Not about falling in love that first night, but he didn't tell me he owned a jewellers, just that he worked in one. Eric would never lie, not in a million years. He is the most trustworthy person you will ever meet. An absolute diamond for a jewellers (see what I did there ). Not just trustworthy but great with customers (they love him, he is a real gem!!!), excellent phone manner (good old fashioned manners deserving of a gold award!!!).

Eric was employed as a working jeweller (repairing and making bespoke pieces) at the tender age of 15. He was trained by the best, Graham Clayton. He took to it well. Eric has always been good with his hands. He almost went into joinery after getting an O Level (old style GCSE). in woodwork, but as fate would have it he was suggested to Graham as having a wonderful character and great potential by Patty Ryan, who Eric worked for in a fancy goods shop in south shore from the age of 12. When all the other kids of his age were playing footy he was beavering away (not by choice, his parents thought it would be good for him!). Always had an amazing work ethic. Never late (believe me he is like clockwork!!!) And get this, 6 days off sick in 41 years! That HAS to be a Guinness book of records entry!

He LOVES his job. It's in his blood. He understands sentimentality like no other. People have brought in worn out family heirlooms, relics, broken bits and bats wondering if anything could be done as these 'bits and bats' hold precious memories in their hearts. Could any kind of magic be performed? They expected the worst. But Eric would look and say 'I can do it, but I cant guarantee it'. Tears would flow, jewellery brought back to life, treasured memories reborn. One very special piece being our own daughters. Her granny (my mum) got a necklace for her 50th from her beloved sister Bernie (my mum didn't wear jewellery, not even a watch) that was passed to my Amma on her demise, Eric made it into a bracelet and Amma has never taken it off, only when it needed a little TLC by the great man himself. It is my daughters most treasured possession, apart from her wedding ring. If you saw how thin it was you would realise what an amazing job Eric has done keeping it going. Eric just loves to bring things back to life. Or make something special. 'Eric can you make that necklace Holly Willoughby has on?' Reply 'yep!'.

Over 41 years there have been so many of these special moments. Then you have the last minute wedding rings, ring sizes just in time to say 'I do'. And so many rodiums (making old white gold glisten like new, speaking from my own experience, all my rings are second hand but you would never know). Other jewellers from the surrounding area bring jobs to Eric they wouldnt dare tackle. Too nervous of cocking things up. He does these jobs no problem (maybe a couple of swear words in between!). He is **** good. And that's an understatement.

I could go on about Eric and his time at Claytons all night but this status would also be in the Guinness book of records!

Eric has come to a turning point in his life. He is full of mixed emotions. He will be leaving the job he adores on 21st August. Not just the job he loves but the people, who are much more than colleagues. They are friends. Dear friends. Vicki is the no. 1 (or soon will be) His bosses Graham and Jeanette have been wonderful all down the years. They have always been so very good to us and our family and have given us some amazing memories. They treated Eric like their own. Eric took their sons to school as little ones and has watched them grow into fine young men who now have beautiful wives and children of their own.

This is a MASSIVE step for my Ezzy. But the time feels right. He has worked long and hard. Life is short. Carpe diem as we say.

There have been hard times for us financially and emotionally down the years but Eric has been our rock. And his job has given us stability. Eric you are amazing inside and out and we love you.

Eric's dad is now 90 and getting increasingly frail. His brother Patrick's health has taken a turn for the worse so now is a good time to change direction. Family is what it's all about, as tough as it is at times.

He won't be retiring completely and will be moving across to our small family business so he will have a new boss .. I believe she is quite a good boss, she runs with flexi hours and encourages lie ins and early finishes when the sun's out, she doesnt crack the whip (he might be disappointed with that one!) Generally quite easy going and enjoys the odd business lunch or 3 (did someone say Beachhouse) . But she does expect commitment. I think she is on a winner he has proved himself time and time again and of course part of his job will be taking a more prolific grandad role, both to our beautiful Willow and the new arrival expected very early January .. He will also be helping me with my work in the community with Diabetes Awareness and weight loss so it looks like he will be busier than ever! He has told me he is looking forward to Saturdays off, I replied 'dream on' .

So if anyone has anything they need Eric to look at LOOK SHARP! That said the business will still continue well after Eric has gone, and it is an amazing business.

SO PLEASE ALL BE UPSTANDING AND RAISE YOUR GLASSES TO THE ONE, THE ONLY, THE AMAZING ERIC SCOTT.

Hugs for such an amazing person x
You are both amazing people.

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Debandez
Opened file.
It told me to touch where I wanted to make a comment.
Then make comment.
I looked at pdf again, and there was a yellow highlighted bit.
I touched that and it brought up my "comment ", which obviously you may delete, as I was trying to find out how it worked. The pdf itself does not get altered.

So to recap you highlight when you touch with your finger.
Make your comment, and it's not seen until you touch the yellow highlighted area.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez
Opened file.
It told me to touch where I wanted to make a comment.
Then make comment.
I looked at pdf again, and there was a yellow highlighted bit.
I touched that and it brought up my "comment ", which obviously you may delete, as I was trying to find out how it worked. The pdf itself does not get altered.

So to recap you highlight when you touch with your finger.
Make your comment, and it's not seen until you touch the yellow highlighted area.
Oh right, that's quite handy! Excellent. Much appreciated x

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not very tech savvy. Understatement. I think I've got to give each individual access. It says you might be able to edit which would be great as surgery have original and it's a pdf so I cant. When you get a min could you let me know if you can 1) view it and 2) edit. Thanks a million!!!!!

Nice Deb's. Can see it. Have downloaded myself a copy.
Out at minute will check if I can edit original
When home again. :)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be interested to know how fasting effects your bs if you have time to share. Has it helped with your IR?
I am really really hoping that it helps with my IR and also that the autophagy helps to repair everything that was damaged during all the years of out of control blood sugars. That is my long term goal. Probably an exceptionally long term goal as I can only do IF 3 or 4 days a week.

So what I have achieved in the short term (since restarting IF 2 weeks ago) is a body that has gone completely bonkers.

Normally if I am 5.6 at breakfast - 2 hrs later I would be 6.6.
Yesterday I was 8.2. I never ever get readings in the 8s. Then I had a dramatic drop to 4.1. Same thing happened at Dinner - except I was 4.0 before dinner and an unbelievable 8.1 two hrs later (2nd test was 8.4 - I did a 2nd test because I really didn't believe the first one as I had only had 7g carbs).

This morning 6.1 before breakfast and 6 2 two hrs later after exactly the same breakfast as yesterday. BS then began to tumble (although don't know how low as I left my meter at home). I had some dark chocolate and coffee and cream and felt a lot better and BS was 5.0 when I finally got home.

So weird stuff going on. Am tempted to keep on with IF just to see if things settle down.

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez - just got home. Able to open now, thanks. Will print off to read it first.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
74C3C165-A229-407A-A973-3D446A95CD36.jpeg
Doing the online butterfly count again.
81 butterflies today in one minute on the Buddliea bush...

Then late this afternoon this wee little butterfly turns up...a Holly Blue! I don't see many of these. It is so tiny, one wing is no bigger than my thumbnail. Never managed to photograph one of these before. So I am celebrating with a cuppa tea!

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to civilization and internet and only 513 posts to catch up on. Didn't do BG this morning as I set off from "The North" as the A1 signposts it. I had 6 little treasures to return to Northumberland yesterday so took the wise decision to stay overnight just N of Newcastle and then head south and west today. 250 + miles in a speed limited minibus takes quite a while!!
I hope to catch up soon
Take care

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez what a beautiful tribute to Eric...I will certainly raise a glass to him later. Wishing you both lots of happiness and new memories to make in the future.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Beer raised in his Honour ...and sunk.

Wonderful tribute, @Debandez

A true gent, and new Bro of the best forum thread..

Love it x

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I am really really hoping that it helps with my IR and also that the autophagy helps to repair everything that was damaged during all the years of out of control blood sugars. That is my long term goal. Probably an exceptionally long term goal as I can only do IF 3 or 4 days a week.

So what I have achieved in the short term (since restarting IF 2 weeks ago) is a body that has gone completely bonkers.

Normally if I am 5.6 at breakfast - 2 hrs later I would be 6.6.
Yesterday I was 8.2. I never ever get readings in the 8s. Then I had a dramatic drop to 4.1. Same thing happened at Dinner - except I was 4.0 before dinner and an unbelievable 8.1 two hrs later (2nd test was 8.4 - I did a 2nd test because I really didn't believe the first one as I had only had 7g carbs).

This morning 6.1 before breakfast and 6 2 two hrs later after exactly the same breakfast as yesterday. BS then began to tumble (although don't know how low as I left my meter at home). I had some dark chocolate and coffee and cream and felt a lot better and BS was 5.0 when I finally got home.

So weird stuff going on. Am tempted to keep on with IF just to see if things settle down.
Thanks, that was really informative. That said, your readings are random. Maybe if you continue they will settle, so.many find it beneficial. Was going to give it a whirl but worried as dont want to lose any more weight.

Last edited: