What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

Deleted member 308541

I bet they are really tasty. Prefer the name lamb ribs to mutton flaps though!!!
It was a name the local indigenous people in Mt Isa called them, we did not sell much lamb in the shop where I worked. So mutton flaps instead of breast of lamb.

Probaly the mission education a lot of them had cut breasts out of their English vocabulary.

Reactions: gennepher and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning. This popped up in my Facebook feed. May appeal to the non-carnivores as well as the carnivores here. Definitely on my list. It’s a video, but short.

Viv19

BGs a bit higher yesterday. Bed 7.4 FBG 7.5. I was having problems with my hip and leg though which probably accounted for it. I was correct about yesterday's wedding though. Despite the pineapple suit there were no late night melees in the corridors (may also have been due to the signs the hotel put at the ends of the corridors asking late night revellers to keep noise down and be respectful of other guests).
B. Stuck with my fry up. 1 slice GF black pudding, 1 rasher of back bacon, 1 fried egg, 2 GF sausages, mushrooms and 1 slice of GF toast. Pot coffee and cream. Meant to mention yesterday was the first time I have seen guests arriving for breakfast in their pyjamas. Some had slippers on some barefoot. There were some this morning too. Anyone ever gone down to a hotel breakfast in their PJ's?
L. Taking into account my dodgy hip and leg we took the Arriva bus to Warrington as I decided it wasn't far. It's not - in a car - but on a bus that goes here, there and everywhere on A roads its 1.5 hours. Still I saw some places I've never seen before. We were able to wander not too far from the Bus Exchange in Warrington and plenty places to sit and rest inbetween. Stopped at a lovely Italian cafe where I had an Americano with cream, bottle of water and bits of chicken and salad from Hubby's very full chicken sandwich.
D. Out with friends in Chester again (same friends we were out with in Liverpool earlier in the week). Went to a place at the side of the canal - Telfords Warehouse. It was packed. Live music on a Friday, people sitting outside, inside and dining was upstairs. Yet more wine. A starter of a warm goat's cheese, beetroot and pine nut salad. To follow rib eye with a mushroom sauce, field mushroom, cherry tomato, grilled halloumi and a mixed salad. Irish coffee. Beautiful day yesterday.
Hubby now under the weather but self inflicted so no sympathy.

That’s hysterical- hotel guests in pjs at breakfast. They’ve obviously not been let out very often before. :)))
We lived near the M6/M56 junction for about 6 years (longer ago than I like to remember). Warrington was one of the nearer shopping centres. I remember being in a store there (probably M & S) that stayed open later than other places. When I came out there was no one around at all- it was very creepy. That was not long after the Warrington bombing, so I raced back to the car park to get out of there. I suppose there were no flats or houses around there, and perhaps it was too early for restaurants to open (though I don’t remember any), so when the shops closed it just emptied of people.
Have you been to Cheshire Oaks outlets yet maglil55?

Viv19

Eek- here goes my first post!
Breakfast was lardons fried in olive oil and my first no- carb home made baguette. I got the recipe from my new cook book: Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi’s The Diabetes Weightloss Cookbook. The bread is made with almond flour, psyllium husk powder and egg whites. I put 6tbsp of sunflower seeds. I have only done a few recipes but I love this book! I am on 49 on diabetes marker and a good few stone overweight. Have lost weight recently - about half a stone which has cheered me up so much. I also feel calm and happy- I’m thinking this low carb diet is working for me. Hi everyone!!!

I picked that book up when we were at home last month. I haven’t had time to do more than flick through it yet though. Must get to it.

Viv19

Yesterday.
Tea
Breakfast was scrambled eggs with a LC toasted roll. A taste of red currant jelly on one piece. Cwc
Lunch time - yoghurt and berries, nuts
Dinner. Some of the cold fish - poached salmon, smoked salmon and trout. There was also matjes herring - OH likes but I don’t. Aioli, celeriac slaw, tomato salad, mixed salad. Then beef bourguignon, more salads. I had made green beans with bacon and almond flakes but that had all disappeared. Tzatziki (I never need an excuse to make or eat that). Was too full to even try the chicken drumsticks (marinated 24 hours and oven roasted), but there are a few left that we can eat today.
Quite a lot of cava and Cabernet Sauvignon. And water.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve missed moo grob post. What on earth is it?
Also - those egg cups look v quick and easy in the airfryer. I didn’t realise it could be used for that sort of thing. Are they silicone cups?

DJC3, this is the Moo Grob I do: https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/

I don't do the long boil or deep frying though. I IP the meat slices, then when dry; rather than dry in the sunshine, the warming oven, or dehydrator quickens it up, I then give it a very light spray of oil and air fry until they're fabulously coloured, and with crackling tops.

In Thailand, it's served with a spicy BBQ or Sweet Chilli dipping sauce.

First time I did it in UK, I had asked the butcher to cut me a couple of very thick (about 1") slices of streaky bacon, which was also a stunning success.

I'm sure the alchemist we call @Brunneria will have applied her own tweaks and twizzles too, so I'll read those with interest.

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday in Dublin 4 son’s very villagy neighbourhood had brunch of scrambled egg, rasher crispy bacon, mashed avo on small slice sourdough toast. Yes I admit I ate half the toast without any repercussions! Also two cups of very good coffee and no I’m not going over to the dark side, started the day with tea x2 as usual. Last night went to nice restaurant up town had Dublin Bay prawn cocktail followed by monkfish with salsa verde and few of OH’s mussel mountain, little bit broccoli. Pre dinner Dingle Gin at the beautiful Shelbourne Hotel on St Stephens Green. I know we are living it up but this must be the most expensive capital in Europe, son finding it so much moreso than London. As we walked through the centre last two nights it was so multicultural and there seemed to be a real buzz of friendliness in the air.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve missed moo grob post. What on earth is it?
Also - those egg cups look v quick and easy in the airfryer. I didn’t realise it could be used for that sort of thing. Are they silicone cups?

I have 2 recipes saved in CMT with the tag air fryer pork. One came from dcukmod but I lost it and found the second while looking for the first. I think they are both variations on Moo Grob. But it is essentially v simple. Simmer belly pork til soft and gelatinous. Dry surface of meat. Air fry til crisp and golden brown.

Next time I will serve a smaller portion, and will provide a dipping sauce like a pickle. Lime and chilli, or a garlic lemon, or even a BBQ. Something with real clout to cut the richness.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday in Dublin 4 son’s very villagy neighbourhood had brunch of scrambled egg, rasher crispy bacon, mashed avo on small slice sourdough toast. Yes I admit I ate half the toast without any repercussions! Also two cups of very good coffee and no I’m not going over to the dark side, started the day with tea x2 as usual. Last night went to nice restaurant up town had Dublin Bay prawn cocktail followed by monkfish with salsa verde and few of OH’s mussel mountain, little bit broccoli. Pre dinner Dingle Gin at the beautiful Shelbourne Hotel on St Stephens Green. I know we are living it up but this must be the most expensive capital in Europe, son finding it so much moreso than London. As we walked through the centre last two nights it was so multicultural and there seemed to be a real buzz of friendliness in the air.
Sounds idyllic and the tone of the post implies it is a real tonic for you. Avo on sourdough has to be winner anytime, anywhere. Really pleased for you.

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was a name the local indigenous people in Mt Isa called them, we did not sell much lamb in the shop where I worked. So mutton flaps instead of breast of lamb.

Probaly the mission education a lot of them had cut breasts out of their English vocabulary.

Goodness, I’d never considered the effect of those early evangelicals on vocabulary. Still a tasty cut of meat.

Reactions: gennepher

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s hysterical- hotel guests in pjs at breakfast. They’ve obviously not been let out very often before. :)))
We lived near the M6/M56 junction for about 6 years (longer ago than I like to remember). Warrington was one of the nearer shopping centres. I remember being in a store there (probably M & S) that stayed open later than other places. When I came out there was no one around at all- it was very creepy. That was not long after the Warrington bombing, so I raced back to the car park to get out of there. I suppose there were no flats or houses around there, and perhaps it was too early for restaurants to open (though I don’t remember any), so when the shops closed it just emptied of people.
Have you been to Cheshire Oaks outlets yet maglil55?
I've been to Cheshire Oaks many, many times. When I used to drive down here the sat nav in my car even had my favourite parking space programmed into it. I was not permitted to go this time 1) According to Hubby & BIL - shopaholic sister/wife was not to be let loose there 2) I was to refrain from trying to squeeze anything else into the cases.

There were still some in PJs this morning!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning. This popped up in my Facebook feed. May appeal to the non-carnivores as well as the carnivores here. Definitely on my list. It’s a video, but short.

WOW
She uses a metal balloon whisk in a wide shallow ceramic bowl to beat eggs!
And a metal spoon in a non stick frying pan!
And all that washing up!!!

But the idea is great.

I think i would use pre-cooked ham as the lining/crust, which would cut out a lot of extra steps, and as for the crispy topping... either drop that, or use crumbled cooked crispy bacon.

The bacon is really easy to do in batches, esp with an airfryer or my halogen oven. :D
https://www.apinchofhealthy.com/air-fryer-bacon/

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DJC3, this is the Moo Grob I do: https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/

I'm sure the alchemist we call @Brunneria will have applied her own tweaks and twizzles too, so I'll read those with interest.

Haha!
More like the blundering-makes-it-up-as-she-goes-along-terminally-lazy alchemist !!!

Just got a jar of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geetas-Chutney-Lime-Chilli-Pack/

It has sugar in it, but it is hothothot so I will be using the meerest smear. Delicious. Should balance that Moo Grob beautifully.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Some cottage cheese with half a dozen strawberries for breakfast. Neil (No 1 son) bought a me large tub of it from Tescos in Stornoway last week. It's surprisingly good - just a little bit sharp rather than the usual bland stuff.
After all, I couldn't be bothered with cooking or eating yesterday pm so didn't have the fresh mackerel and salad. I'll have the fish with some left over roasted vegetables for lunch.
I have some cooked chicken in the fridge which I will also have to use up, so it will be that and salad this evening (if I can be bothered again). I've already spent most of the morning asleep in my comfortable kitchen chair; I have to sit down every so often to stop legs and back hurting too much, and then I fall asleep. So whether I can muster the energy today to be bothered with food prep, I don't know.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha!
More like the blundering-makes-it-up-as-she-goes-along-terminally-lazy alchemist !!!

Just got a jar of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geetas-Chutney-Lime-Chilli-Pack/

It has sugar in it, but it is hothothot so I will be using the meerest smear. Delicious. Should balance that Moo Grob beautifully.

Your style of cooking sounds like mine! I'm often asked how I made things but can't tell - I just make a start and see where we get.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I bet they are really tasty. Prefer the name lamb ribs to mutton flaps though!!!

Can anyone still get mutton. We can, in the right season, get what is called Lewis lamb - slower growing and so older than normal lamb but still not mutton. But I'm told that nobody wants mutton these days and so no-one produces it. It's years since I had mutton - my mother used to buy it, but I haven't noticed any in the last 50 or so years.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Eek- here goes my first post!
Breakfast was lardons fried in olive oil and my first no- carb home made baguette. I got the recipe from my new cook book: Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi’s The Diabetes Weightloss Cookbook. The bread is made with almond flour, psyllium husk powder and egg whites. I put 6tbsp of sunflower seeds. I have only done a few recipes but I love this book! I am on 49 on diabetes marker and a good few stone overweight. Have lost weight recently - about half a stone which has cheered me up so much. I also feel calm and happy- I’m thinking this low carb diet is working for me. Hi everyone!!!

I just ordered that book from Amazon and am hoping for some recipes I can make with ingredients I can use, or even source. It looks like an interesting book.

sparkyrich

Can anyone still get mutton. We can, in the right season, get what is called Lewis lamb - slower growing and so older than normal lamb but still not mutton. But I'm told that nobody wants mutton these days and so no-one produces it. It's years since I had mutton - my mother used to buy it, but I haven't noticed any in the last 50 or so years.

I made a mutton stew earlier this week and it was a lot tastier than the usual lamb. Got it from the butchers in Tesco for a very reasonable £6.45/ kilo.

Reactions: maglil55