jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spotted in Lidl..and eaten.

had the salted caramel..my FAV..but it was nice, not amazing
the Raspberry ripple however WAS amazing..very tasty .

Can't say the Halo (not tried Opo ) was much worse, but i have had halo one that may
have thawed slightly before we got home, then got frozen again that was decidedly under par.

For a beggar who likes ice cream, i'd say Grahams is well worth a go.
But it is a little harder to find, even in lidl.

Reactions: 1spuds

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Spotted in Lidl..and eaten.

had the salted caramel..my FAV..but it was nice, not amazing
the Raspberry ripple however WAS amazing..very tasty .

Can't say the Halo (not tried Opo ) was much worse, but i have had halo one that may
have thawed slightly before we got home, then got frozen again that was decidedly under par.

For a beggar who likes ice cream, i'd say Grahams is well worth a go.
But it is a little harder to find, even in lidl.
Okay. I will try the Raspberry Ripple when I see it.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Scott. It clearly says on my purchase, 8.6g per 100 g.

Fair enough, was just asking because the firm's website gives the nutritional info as per 100ml, couldn't find a pack label, it would be curious if they were stating it as 8.6 per 100g on packs and 8.6 per 100ml on their site, unless, of course, their icecream has the same density as water.

Screenshot_2019-08-04-19-42-55.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-04-19-39-40.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-04-19-39-40.png
    353 KB · Views: 312

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fair enough, was just asking because the firm's website gives the nutritional info as per 100ml, couldn't find a pack label, it would be curious if they were stating it as 8.6 per 100g on packs and 8.6 per 100ml on their site, unless, of course, their icecream has the same density as water.

View attachment 34670
One does wonder about the accuracy of the data on the back of packs of foodstuffs. No, I don’t think it has the same density as water. Would be nice to find out which is the right figure.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
One does wonder about the accuracy of the data on the back of packs of foodstuffs. No, I don’t think it has the same density as water. Would be nice to find out which is the right figure.

Yeah, I suppose it could be something as simple as a random admin error which happen in all companies, such as them firing off instructions to the box printing company saying it's 8.6 without specifying what the 8.6 is.

I'm quite partial to a small tub of ice cream when I go to the movies, the numbers on the tub are in grams, never really thought to look at the maker's websites to see whether the nutrional info is grams or ml, might have a sketch at that.

There's been a few shockers in the T1 world where folks have seriously over-injected insulin after relying on the nutritional info on chain restaurant menus, which is why I always do my own carb count, based on, ok, the menu info says this, I'm going to cross-check that against other sources and past experience before I make a dosing call on it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Per 100ml, I suspect if it were recalculated as per 100g, it would be a fair bit higher...
Ah....you assume ice cream is denser than water?

However, ice cream is loaded with air, apparently. So tends to weigh lighter than water and not heavier. As a rule of thumb, one litre of commercially made ice cream weighs 540 grams. So if there is 8 grams of carbs per 100 litre then there is half of that per 100 grams.

Also cream is less dense than water, apparently. So ice cream with a higher cream content will tend to weigh less for the same volume.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Snoddy

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 34670

ohh good spot.

be interesting following this one.
i doubt it will be so far out others won't eat, but a better understanding is always good
( i tend to only eat a portion, so compare that to the total and decide if i can eat it.
The missus just grabs and spoon and goes for it...:D:hilarious::hilarious:

i just assumed it was per g , not per ml
( and on a note the wife has just had Judes ice cream which was also in per ml )

so in the hope we don't fry our brain trying to work this out, i found a converter when on line searching.

Might be of use once we find out the true density.
https://www.omnicalculator.com/food/ml-to-grams

and why it's not straightforward
https://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Milliliters-(mL)-to-Grams-(g)

Strangely enough, Nutracheck gives the ice cream in different measures depending on flavour :wideyed:
https://www.nutracheck.co.uk/CaloriesIn/Product/Search?desc=grahams+goodness+ice+cream

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ah....you assume ice cream is denser than water?

However, ice cream is loaded with air, apparently. So tends to weigh lighter than water and not heavier. As a rule of thumb, one litre of commercially made ice cream weighs 540 grams. So if there is 8 grams of carbs per 100 litre then there is half of that per 100 grams.

Also cream is less dense than water, apparently. So ice cream with a higher cream content will tend to weigh less for the same volume.

I'm not that great at arithmetic, so correct me if I'm going wrong on this but the sums seem to work out like this.

8g per 100ml.

So, 80g per litre.

I note your reference to a litre of ice cream weighing 540g but let's call it 500g to make the sums simpler.

So, that litre, which weighs 500g has 80g of carbs in it.

Divide the 500g overall weight and the carb content of 80g by 5 to get the per 100g number and I seem to get 80 ÷ 5 = 16g.

Which is twice, not half.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If 100 grams of ice cream has 8 grams of carbs in it, 100 ml of ice cream will have less. How much less will depend on the ice cream quality and density which is less than water.

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
All depends on whether the starting point is 8.6g per 100ml or 8.6g per 100g.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I discovered this in Lidl. Surprisingly it is miserly on carbs at just over 8grams per 100 grams, loaded with cream and is quite tasty - more so than Oppo I would say.

And....Mrs Listlad likes it.

There are another 4 flavours in the range.

https://www.grahamsfamilydairy.com/our-products/goodness-ice-cream/espresso-caramel
I found it at the weekend, it wasn't horrible, but not enough coffee flavour for my liking, I also got a mint choc chip to try, and definately a good price, just wish one of these companies would do a good Vanilla one!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To get the density it is simply a matter of emptying the container after weighing, having marked the level of contents on the side, weigh the container to find out the weight of contents, then pour in water to that level and measure it accurately to get the volume. It is then a simple matter of division to find out the grams per ml.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found it at the weekend, it wasn't horrible, but not enough coffee flavour for my liking, I also got a mint choc chip to try, and definately a good price, just wish one of these companies would do a good Vanilla one!
I think they do vanilla but not sure if it is lower carb.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I phoned them today but didnt get much sense from the person on the end of the phone. Will try again tomorrow.