Type 2 Numb leg and foot

oopsupside

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sand
Hi. I’m recently diagnosed type 2. My lower leg (top of knee down to toes) is a bit numb. It’s not painful.

I am a little unsteady when walking.

I have had ankle fusion surgery just over a year ago and that along with recuperation was fine. This is new to me....

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

David

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since diagnosis 5 years go I've really had a "cold" right foot, circulation seems to be the thing though when ever the pulse is checked, I get the okay... still not sure what's going on down there.
Numb, not so much so, so probably not much help, sorry.

Reactions: oopsupside

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Since diagnosis 5 years go I've really had a "cold" right foot, circulation seems to be the thing though when ever the pulse is checked, I get the okay... still not sure what's going on down there.
Numb, not so much so, so probably not much help, sorry.
Me too @hankjam. I'm taking pregabalin from GP after A&E prescribed when I was ill last year. It's for pain but supplement R-ala is fantastic for numbness. I had to stop it for my op.i won't return to it til I'm stable.

Reactions: oopsupside

jonnoras

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi David. I had had exactly the same thing. I also found that when I walked my right foot would slap on the ground whilst my left foot didn’t. I researched this and for me it was to do with crossing my legs and compressing the nerve behind my knee which makes the outer side of your calf and the top of your foot go numb. I had been diagnosed with T2 and as a result quickly lost a lot of weight thus loosing any ‘padding’ I had on my legs. I COMPLETELY stopped crossing my legs (and still do) and it disappeared. However it took about 3 months to totally go. Hope it works for you. Jon

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi. I’m recently diagnosed type 2. My lower leg (top of knee down to toes) is a bit numb. It’s not painful.

I am a little unsteady when walking.

I have had ankle fusion surgery just over a year ago and that along with recuperation was fine. This is new to me....

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

David
My walking is of a drunk person and I cannot get momentum with a stick or crutch. I'm seeing GP tomorrow to discuss further as kids need me mobile not struggling from wall to wall to get anywhere. I've seen 2 physios but last one was more talking therapy. Both diagnosed nipped nerves but I hv one in my neck too now so struggling even more. I'm losing weight but no relief on nipped nerves yet. I asked surgeon if it could be diabetes related and he's brought forward my diabetes appointment to ask endo. I might get referred to a neurologist for tests but I'm not 100% sure that I will. I may just get another physio who can help me walk without support. Currently using older son's arm even with crutch if we are late. Incline walking is tough. Any flat walking is hugely easier.
Wintery conditions stop me going out.

oopsupside

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sand
My walking is of a drunk person and I cannot get momentum with a stick or crutch. I'm seeing GP tomorrow to discuss further as kids need me mobile not struggling from wall to wall to get anywhere. I've seen 2 physios but last one was more talking therapy. Both diagnosed nipped nerves but I hv one in my neck too now so struggling even more. I'm losing weight but no relief on nipped nerves yet. I asked surgeon if it could be diabetes related and he's brought forward my diabetes appointment to ask endo. I might get referred to a neurologist for tests but I'm not 100% sure that I will. I may just get another physio who can help me walk without support. Currently using older son's arm even with crutch if we are late. Incline walking is tough. Any flat walking is hugely easier.
Wintery conditions stop me going out.
I stopped using crutches after my ankle fusion and now use Nordic walking poles (or just one pole) when needed. So very much easier. D

oopsupside

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sand
Hiya. They are superb. Much easier for navigating cobbles and uneven surfaces. It is all made so much easier with the wrist strap and the grip. Also when on flat surfaces they or just one can help you push forward easier and this helps build muscle in your arms. Or arm. Be sure to have some spare ferrules which are available on Amazon and made by Leki. The Nordic walking poles are on Amazon too.