Please some advice on a long night with a hypo!

hegelegan

Hello I need a little help daughter 7yrs old is a type1 diabetic and she had Insulin for her dinner but didn't feel like eating it! Then I have been battling her hypo from 8:30 till 12:45 finally got her to come up from 2.3 2.6 them 3.8 so gave her a small biscuit so she wouldn't dip again! At 9am she threw up so had to keep n feeding her glucose! Checked her again! At 2am and she was 7.5 then threw up again so I'm worried her blood glucose is dipping again so gave her a sip of coke! Is this normal with a stomach bug (if that's what it is) for her to hypo for so long? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I think I will be phoning hospital as soon as it's daylight! She is worrying me!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, Could I ask what insulin is your daughter on? Your daughter seems very unwell, I hope she gets better.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Sickness makes numbers unpredictable- have your team given you sick day rules to follow when she is unwell?
You could try getting her to drink milk or juice when she is low as drinks absorb quicker and are easier on the stomach. How all improves soon. Hug to you both.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She is on Nova Rapid and night time Lantus. Given at 7:30pm every evening

In this case you’ll need to be aware of the time frame of novorapid. If your daughter doesn’t eat, don’t give her novorapid because it’ll be in her system for 4 hours. If she hypos, she’ll hypo for a long time. Keep her fluids up since she can’t keep anything down, test for ketones if she is running high for a long period of time, keep monitoring her and contact her team to ask about sick day rules.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, so sorry to read about your daughter, how is she this morning, is she any better and have you rung the hospital or 111?

hegelegan

Yes I have been given these, it's just common sense really and I'm doing everything it says sugary drinks! Checking glucose every half hour I've not done the ketones yet, which I will in a mo! I think last night we went through two juice boxes tons of gluco gel then her dad gave her some skittles this was a final attempt after we bought coke and I got her to drink this later as she just kept chucking everything up! I don't think she could stomach the milk but will keep in mind!
Sickness makes numbers unpredictable- have your team given you sick day rules to follow when she is unwell?
You could try getting her to drink milk or juice when she is low as drinks absorb quicker and are easier on the stomach. How all improves soon. Hug to you both.

hegelegan

Thanks I had forgot about the time frame! She's off her food not like normal so it's difficult to know! But I think I may give her insulin after she's eaten until she's better! She probably won't eat today! I wouldn't be giving her insulin just pure sugar to keep her level up!
In this case you’ll need to be aware of the time frame of novorapid. If your daughter doesn’t eat, don’t give her novorapid because it’ll be in her system for 4 hours. If she hypos, she’ll hypo for a long time. Keep her fluids up since she can’t keep anything down, test for ketones if she is running high for a long period of time, keep monitoring her and contact her team to ask about sick day rules.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @hegelegan It's a good idea to do the quick acting insulin after she's eaten so you know what's gone in.

I think when our little ones are unwell even some chicken soup so there's fluids going in and some food to keep energy levels stable too. You do need to check for ketones too - do you have the means to do this ? Also testing every hour and water to keep her hydrated.

This is the sick day rules information in case you don't have this to hand: http://www.dafne.uk.com/uploads/224...k day rules - Standard.pdf?0.8191162855364382

Hope she feels better soon, let us know :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't be giving her insulin just pure sugar to keep her level up!
She'll still need her Lantus, even when not eating. Have you contacted the diabetes nurse about it?

hegelegan

Hi yeah I haven't stopped given lantus just not her nova rapid cos her sugar levels kept dropping yesterday I gave her nova rapid After she ate. but as it happened she didn't eat her dinner so never gave her insulin! She seems better today but her poor fingers are so sore from all the checking her sugar levels! I contacted her nurse too and she gave me good advice also!
She'll still need her Lantus, even when not eating. Have you contacted the diabetes nurse about it?

Reactions: Antje77

hegelegan

Yeah thanks for replying with good advice! I had to learn that the hard way at first cos had to battle with low sugar levels. but have learnt since! she seems to be picking up now, but still giving insulin after she's eaten atm until I know she's well. her nurse advised me to do this also! Yeah I've been checking ketones and I've managed to get to zero she was at 0.06 which isn't much to worry about anyways!
Hello @hegelegan It's a good idea to do the quick acting insulin after she's eaten so you know what's gone in.

I think when our little ones are unwell even some chicken soup so there's fluids going in and some food to keep energy levels stable too. You do need to check for ketones too - do you have the means to do this ? Also testing every hour and water to keep her hydrated.

This is the sick day rules information in case you don't have this to hand: http://www.dafne.uk.com/uploads/224...k day rules - Standard.pdf?0.8191162855364382

Reactions: Antje77 and Diakat

hegelegan

BTW thanks for the link

hegelegan

Hi @Robinredbreast she scared me but is doing so much better thank you! We managed to avoid a hospital trip (wipes brow) her little fingers are sore but we should have her sensor back in action later so her little fingers can have a rest! Thanks for replying
Hi, so sorry to read about your daughter, how is she this morning, is she any better and have you rung the hospital or 111?

Reactions: Antje77

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Good news @hegelegan You're doing an amazing job looking after her and glad to hear she's ok, finger's crossed she's over it now x