What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A fine and tempting morning today.

The wonder wheel of roller coaster rides decided upon a 4.9 at 0500. Checking just now and it is 5.8. Must have been all that effort put into pouring my current batch of kefir into a sieve in order to drain off the whey.

Off to York this morning for a ramble in the shambles but for now, koffy calls.

Have a great day if you can, hugs for all who want one.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would love some feedback on your PPG, what it does in the community, at your surgery etc. Indont believe reinventing the wheel and love pinching other's good ideas!!! We can all learn from each other. Our PPG is small and does practically diddly squat apart from bi monthly meet ups to talk about staff at the surgery and eat cakes and or biscuits. I'm trying to stir things up!

Hi @Debandez - I have been on the PPG for less than a year. They are very good at monthly meetings. Having said that, we do take it in turns to carry out hygiene inspections every Saturday morning and also help out on such occasions as flu jab days.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6,9 today

Have a great day

Pavlos
20190803_193350.jpeg

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 again today. Still trying to wash equipment and other summer camp essentials - it usually takes weeks to get it sorted and away. My goal is the end of August.
@pavlosn I am envious of that view - a council housing estate is not quite the same!!
Take care

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning. Am really happy with that number because when I got home from work last night husband was eating cheese and I just couldn't resist having a rather large chunk. As cheese late at night always without fail (but not on this occasion) increases fbs I was dreading this mornings reading.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7 this morning, at home, back to my normal routine, no bacon, egg and sausages for breakfast this morning. I was pretty good on holiday keeping low carb for the most part, a couple of panini and battered fish ‘n chips were my main indulgences.

Viv19

Good choice, I think it should be something established that many could have in stock,

But I wonder if it needed to really be the same for all of us..(though that would be better for comparisons) bread does seems the bogey, and it's pretty uniform in shape-ish so easy to see the measures. IE; one slice

We would after all only be measuring OUR OWN reactions and changes in this experiment so if we kept it uniform to ourselves, as to what we could find locally, the data would still be valid

Is kingsmill no crust an actual product, debs?

As for bread per se...much as I like it, I reckon many see it as empty calories or carbs wastage, if on a low carb diet...?

I have found LC sliced bread and ‘rolls’ very thin and already sliced and better toasted. They tasted quite nutty, not eggy, the former with lots of linseed. It isn’t the bulk as such, but they make very good ‘carriers’ for the smoked fish/cheese etc.
I used to enjoy baking sourdough bread, with assorted flours and seeds. I have a vague hope that perhaps one day I might be able to eat some from time to time. Home made focaccia with a bbq
Anyway that won’t be too soon. We have guests staying, ate rather too late last night, and still have back problems from standing so long at the weekend. Bg this morning was 6.8

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.0 this morning though ate last of yesterday’s two meals at 4.30pm at Dublin airport. But I have to factor in just having said goodbye to son. Low BG loves happy!
@Debandez and @jjraak I have a slice og HiLo (find it the best of the LC brunch) toast cooled with thick butter every morning but otherwise dont eat bread. HOWEVER for the last 3 days in Dublin we went for brunch and I fell in love with scrambled eggs on crispy bacon on avo on sourdough toast with grilled cherry tomato. The first day I only ate half the toast but found it didnt rise my BG so the next 2 days I ate the whole slice. That doesnt mean I will start introducing more bread to my routine but I am now more comfortable that once in a while I can. I think the trick could be proper made bread rather than mass produced. Just my 2p worth! @Bubbsie hope your day gets better. @Fndwheelie welcome home, you managed your hol food greatly I think. @pavlosn great pic what a lovely place. @gennepher enjoy the butterflies.
@jjraak hope you are feeling a bit better? @HarrisonK Father of the Thread hope your check up goes well.
Have a good Tuesday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who like me and me's are consuming breakfast on the patio while listening to Jeff Beck's Morning which is about to be followed by Plank Floored's Fat Old Sun. I know it should be Pink Floyd, but.

Well this morning my meter spat a 5.8 out I'm sure my pals chaos and mayhem have been at my meter AGAIN....

Well folks I need a little help, could somebody please post a low carb bread recipe on here, I have tried searching on this site, but I can't seem to get beyond the posts with the word bread in them. Mrs J has finally embraced low carb and has been loosening weight and is mightily please, but not with me and me's, but that's 40 years of marriage for you.
Background info, I have a house full of technology and a brain that's firmly in the slide rule century.
Well folks have a great day irrespective of the forecasted weather.
Me and all my pals are unsupervised till mid afternoon then......
Till tomorrow if I survive the wrath of Mrs J.

Reactions: Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about hi-lo (less than 5g) or no crust kingsmill (7.4).

I have a question that you may be able to answer @DJC3. You say having bread terrifies you. I felt the same for a long time after dx. But then I discovered lc options. I treat myself once maybe twice a month. So heres my question, always wanted to ask but felt a bit silly, but dont mind on our special thread. If I eat a slice of bread at less than 5g or I eat something else that has the equivalent amount of carbs and GI what's the difference? Why are we scared of enjoying bread (i do get a guilty feeling if i have one usually).

That’s a really good point Debs and I don’t know the answer. 1 slice of 5g bread with butter and a couple of scrambled eggs would only have the same carb value as a salad or cauliflower cheese so where’s the difference? Maybe it’s because we wouldn’t stop at 1 slice whereas it’s not quite so tempting to eat half a cauliflower.
I think the bread, being made of highly refined carbs would cause a much quicker steeper bg rise though and the corresponding slump is usually what has me feel horrible when I’ve inadvertently eaten something carby.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 for me this morning. Liver catching up with housekeeping duties after dealing with wine overload at the weekend.
Rainy grotty day here which is a bit irritating as Mr C has taken the week off to tackle our jungle of a garden so I’m not sure much will get done now. I’d better start a secondary list of chores to keep him out of mischief ( aka the pub)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think yesterday I was very unwise. I confided in a group of my long term clients that I was struggling to get started on some coursework. My problem is that I work really well to deadlines and for this particular qualification I have been told that there is no deadline - I can complete it at anytime in the future. So for the last two years there have always been more pressing things to do.

My other problem is that I am a perfectionist and this coursework is difficult and the questions ambiguous so I know that I won't get really high marks like I usually do and actually might not pass - which is another reason I can't complete it.

My clients promptly decided that they would set me a deadline - that I must have it finished and submitted by Sept 2 when classes start back again. They will check up on me and as I really know these clients very well I know that they will check up on me. They are a very assertive group!

So today I am torn between the horror of actually doing this very hard coursework over my 3 week break - and relief that I actually might complete it and it will be no longer hanging over me like a dark cloud.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think yesterday I was very unwise. I confided in a group of my long term clients that I was struggling to get started on some coursework. My problem is that I work really well to deadlines and for this particular qualification I have been told that there is no deadline - I can complete it at anytime in the future. So for the last two years there have always been more pressing things to do.

My other problem is that I am a perfectionist and this coursework is difficult and the questions ambiguous so I know that I won't get really high marks like I usually do and actually might not pass - which is another reason I can't complete it.

My clients promptly decided that they would set me a deadline - that I must have it finished and submitted by Sept 2 when classes start back again. They will check up on me and as I really know these clients very well I know that they will check up on me. They are a very assertive group!

So today I am torn between the horror of actually doing this very hard coursework over my 3 week break - and relief that I actually might complete it and it will be no longer hanging over me like a dark cloud.
You will get it done.
Nothing like a short deadline to focus the brain.
The sword of Damacles will not be hanging over you any more...with this particular issue.

A very short deadline focuses my brain pin sharp. And then when it’s done..how come that was so easy, I think...

You’ll do it @Krystyna23040

Hugs from the basket of bottomless hugs for when you need them!

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A belated good morning from a partially sunny North (Winters Coming) a nice anniversary meal on Saturday, even brought the remaining beef home (far, far too much even for a chap on the larger side like me) and did a Sunday roast with the left overs. Hospital appointment yesterday and found out that I will need a third eye operation to try and rectify the problem with my replacement lens, but it needs to be done. A 6.1 was ejected at me this morning by the meter of doom, rather petulantly I might add, so I left it to stew in its own nastiness. The coughing race between me and my better half has been won by the wife, she insisted that as she has developed a chest infection, and is on deaths door, means that she is the clear winner! Who am I to argue, the down side is that she has to stop the chemotherapy until she gets over this infection, sometimes I do wish that I could have her illness instead of having to just help her with it.

Take care everyone.

Reactions: Viv19 and karen8967

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 today and you know what? I knew it would be. Every time I have salad for tea its 5 2!!! Who needs a crystal ball. I had a wonderful cheese and mushroom omelette for breakfast at my local sainsburys. Theirs are even better than mine. An aldi choc n peanut bar for lunch and cheese and ham salad with a spoon of coleslaw even. 4 pieces (small) of 85% choc after. 1 large glass of red with a few nuts. Sorted out all my photos I want to print into it's own folder. Mainly FILs 90th celebrations (going to put in an album for him). I've got 500! Not all the birthday I might add. That would be bonkers! I'm mad but not that mad Haha.

Today dental check up. All good. Hygenist tomorrow so they are all sparkly for my jolies on 22nd. Now outside BIL to drop off washing then painting at son's all day. Listening to nice music. I love painting. Find it quite therapeutic.

Happy Tuesday to all.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG this am was 5.8..a repeat of last tuesday morning according to my chart.
so happy with that.

All this talk of bread had me curious and as i'm off my food i thought a childhood fav might be useful.

Now i thought i had hung up my egg cups for the last time when i got serious about getting my T2 under control.

But i've been toying with 90 second bread, and so far it's the closest i've got, using the LC recipes to a BUN.
LINK

And i think i had a eureka moment.
Set the mix up in a square dish, toasted then buttered.. then cut up into
slices

Ok..soldiers..;)....:D

very tasty.

IMG_20190806_120742.jpg

i do a mix of 15g of walnuts (cos i have them most mornings)
and 15g of Linseed/flaxseed, because i bought a packet or two when i was 'trying' to learn to bake..
(don't ask :sorry:...:banghead:.)..around 6g of carbs per bun. 20% of daily fibre, 14% of magnesium, 31% of calcium
IF i'm reading the nutrition guide right.

Attachments

• IMG_20190806_120742.jpg
    IMG_20190806_120742.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau