Type 1 Switching to Keto

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the reply.

definitely need to be better with my hypo treatments. I usual tend to take the standard 15g of fast acting carbs,. at the moment around 4 jelly beans. I suppose on keto the chances of over dosing insulin at meal time reduces therefore there is an opportunity to get better at hypo treatment; I don't want to end up eating 30b of carbs in jelly babies.

My DSN replied to me today saying i should start by reducing my basal by 20% and them more if I need to, does this sound like an ok adjustment to start? I know someone mentioned cutting theirs in half. She has also left a 0.5 increment insulin pen for me to collect.

I also can get ketone strips for my Libre meter on prescription? Do you test regularly / how often? I get 10 in a box and wonder if they would question if I increased the frequency of collecting them. Atm i would get 10 per 8 weeks prescription.
I take 3g carbs as dextrose tablets to start, and maybe another if there’s no sign of a rise. That decrease sounds sensible, it may need repeating as your levels fall! I get ketone strips for the Libre meter on prescription, and I use;lyntest when someone asks me when I test - so not regularly any more! My ketones tend to run at 1.5-2.5.

gregorgregor30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I take 3g carbs as dextrose tablets to start, and maybe another if there’s no sign of a rise. That decrease sounds sensible, it may need repeating as your levels fall! I get ketone strips for the Libre meter on prescription, and I use;lyntest when someone asks me when I test - so not regularly any more! My ketones tend to run at 1.5-2.5.

Didn't quite get what you meant about the test frequency ? sorry.

This is all really helpful, really looking forward to getting started.

Did you just change over night or did you slowly reduce crab intake over a few days/week(s)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Didn't quite get what you meant about the test frequency ? sorry.

This is all really helpful, really looking forward to getting started.

Did you just change over night or did you slowly reduce crab intake over a few days/week(s)
I never think to test ketones unless someone asks how often I do it, basically. Then I might do one!

And overnight.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think anyone on insulin keeping to a keto diet should have in-date blood ketones test strips and a good ideal of what level is normal for them, party due to many HCP not understanding what levels to expect, and the risk of a HCP panicking if they do a urine drop strick test.

However I don't see why people who understand a keto diet, need to test ketones to know if they are keaping to the diet. But remember DKA is possible at a lower BG level then for someone on a high carb diet.

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
3.5 + 2 units of long-acting daily

WOW....wish i would say the same. i'm on 35 u for 24 hour period on the pump! im sure the high insulin rate why its hard for me to loose weight and have been looking at weight loss for type 1 on the forums. I'll have to check out Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution @ert

gregorgregor30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks back with another question . So I made the switch at the start of the month its inky been a couple of days but it's going ok.

Strange think happened this morning and wonder if I could get people opinions.

I take a few units of insulin each morning to combat dawn phenomenon which has been working for last few years and thus morning was no different.

I has scrambled eggs (2 eggs) double cream. 2 raised of Turkey bacon. This should be fairly low carb. I took 2 unit of fiasp as my ratios are high on the morning.
2 hours later I'm sitting at 14.3 mmol and have to take more insulin.

I had the dentist this morning so my routine was slightly different as in I didnt walk as much early in the day but the seems like quite a jump.

I did feel really tired this morning, could this be glycogen stores?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Gregor