The Low Carb Program.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I was looking at some recipe's on the Low Carb Program, which is on this site. I could not believe the carbs in some of the recipe's. 24 grams carbs for some plain greek yogurt, a few berries, (Not Many) seeds and cinnamon. I am wondering if the carb count is right. Many of their deserts I could not eat as some where as much as 30 grams of carbs per serving. They include pulses, peaches, cherries?? Some of their dinner recipes where high also. I queried some of them because there is similar recipes on The Diet Doctor site and are lower in carbs. I asked them if they had counted the carbs right. They came back with," everybody is different (Which I know) and that" we go up to 130 carbs per day??? I consider that to be quite high. I then asked about the fruit..Peaches, cherries, etc..Oh they use Soya flour also.. I told her that I am pre-diabetic and if I were to eat quite a few of their recipe's my sugars would spike. She just said that everybody is different. Can anybody else on here who is Pre-diabetic or type 2 eat pulses, cherries, peaches, Soya flour? If I was eating up to 130 grams of carbs a day, I think I may turn into a full blown diabetic, and would not have lost any weight. I think that I will stick to Diet Doctor site.

Reactions: 1spuds

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve noticed that a few recipe books and sites contain meals which are higher carb than I eat ( Michel Mosely’s blood sugar recipe book, and the Pioppi diet to name a couple) I think maybe if you are just starting out on this adventure that 130g a day is probably a lot less than most people usually eat and cutting out refined starches and sugar is a good starting point.
I do sometimes wonder if I cut out too much too soon as I can never now increase the amount of carbs I eat ( usually under 20g but sometimes up to 30g a day). Perhaps if I’d taken things at a gentler pace like the low carb programme and the others offer, then I might have been able to stop at a higher level?
I just ignore recipes with fruit or most types of flour now. I do eat very small amounts of pulses occasionally though.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I’ve noticed that a few recipe books and sites contain meals which are higher carb than I eat ( Michel Mosely’s blood sugar recipe book, and the Pioppi diet to name a couple) I think maybe if you are just starting out on this adventure that 130g a day is probably a lot less than most people usually eat and cutting out refined starches and sugar is a good starting point.
I do sometimes wonder if I cut out too much too soon as I can never now increase the amount of carbs I eat ( usually under 20g but sometimes up to 30g a day). Perhaps if I’d taken things at a gentler pace like the low carb programme and the others offer, then I might have been able to stop at a higher level?
I just ignore recipes with fruit or most types of flour now. I do eat very small amounts of pulses occasionally though.
I was the same. I went down to just under 20 carbs per day over 2 years ago when I was told that I was Pre-Diabetic. I keep telling myself to try a small portion of kidney beans, or lentils, just to see what happens. If I don't try them, I will never know if I can tolerate them or not. I will eat Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, occasionally Papaya. They do not seem to affect my sugars. I have found Tesco's high protein bread really good. It's tesco's finest. It has loads of seeds in. I will freeze the bread and occasionally have a slice toasted. No rise at all. Other breads I cannot eat. 9 grams a slice. The bread is quite thick. I know that people here used to eat the protein rolls from Lidls, but they stopped selling them. This bread would be a great alternative. I very rarely make keto cakes, as I am not convinced that they do not put on weight. Ground almonds are still nuts, and nuts are calorific. I do think that as much as I love cheese, that there are to many recipes with cheese in, and quite a lot of cheese.

Reactions: DJC3

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it is the 'Low carb programme' so I can understand that some of the recipes may contain 30/40 carbs or more. Obviously for those who are keto or wish to go lower they would have to choose carefully. I guess this site has to cater for MANY different approaches hence the 'test it for yourself' mantra. I also think about how many carbs a 'normal' non diabetic person might eat and it probably adds up to 300 a day or more (especially if you add a bag of crisps or snack to the mix). This site has to start somewhere and to pitch their recipes too low might be off putting for some people.

Reactions: Robbity

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nowadays, ‘low carb’ is widely accepted as being 130g carbs /day or less
And keto is anywhere from 50g downwards, usually 20g or less

For someone on 130g carbs a day a dessert of 30g isn’t unreasonable. They could have 3 of those a day, and still have 40g carbs left over for ‘necessities’ like breakfast toast and lots of green veg. ;)

That isn’t the way I eat, because my body likes lower carbs than that, but horses for courses.
Am quite envious, actually. :D
There are some beautiful summer fruits around at the mo.

Reactions: ringi and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@derry60 thanks for the tip about Finest High protein bread. If I’m feeling brave one day I’ll give it a try. There does seem to be evidence that freezing and reheating some starchy food makes it less likely to spike a bg increase too.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was looking at some recipe's on the Low Carb Program, which is on this site. I could not believe the carbs in some of the recipe's. 24 grams carbs for some plain greek yogurt, a few berries, (Not Many) seeds and cinnamon. I am wondering if the carb count is right. Many of their deserts I could not eat as some where as much as 30 grams of carbs per serving. They include pulses, peaches, cherries?? Some of their dinner recipes where high also. I queried some of them because there is similar recipes on The Diet Doctor site and are lower in carbs. I asked them if they had counted the carbs right. They came back with," everybody is different (Which I know) and that" we go up to 130 carbs per day??? I consider that to be quite high. I then asked about the fruit..Peaches, cherries, etc..Oh they use Soya flour also.. I told her that I am pre-diabetic and if I were to eat quite a few of their recipe's my sugars would spike. She just said that everybody is different. Can anybody else on here who is Pre-diabetic or type 2 eat pulses, cherries, peaches, Soya flour? If I was eating up to 130 grams of carbs a day, I think I may turn into a full blown diabetic, and would not have lost any weight. I think that I will stick to Diet Doctor site.
@derry60 I eat approx 130g carbs per day and have maintained my hba1c at non-diabetic levels for about 6 years. I eat nectarines with Greek yoghurt if I don’t have any berries available with no effect on my BS.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take 100 to 130 grams of carbs per day. My blood pressure is down, my weight is down, my blood sugar is normal and my diabetic symptoms have reversed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@derry60 - The Low Carb Programme (LCP) is customisable to an extent, but whilst not all the recipes are to your liking, that's almost certainly going to be the case everywhere you look. You cite dietdoctor as a good rersource. Would you make and eat everything on that site?

The LCP has developed a great deal since it first appeared a couple of years ago,and not includes sections on Intermittent Fatsing, Nutritional Ketosis, Mindful Eating and Mental fitness.

As I understand it, the LCP is designed to inform those looking to adopt a reduced carb lifestyle, and to help them find their own happy place as they go along. It isn't about creating a one-size-fits-all resource.

Not everyone wants to or needs to go keto. Not everyone wants to fast and not everyone needs to lose weight, so it is important that the programme strives to respect others' choices and support them on their journey.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@derry60
i probably run at around 50/60g carbs a day
I'm a Klutz in the kitchen as i found out so the recipes i haven't tried, but by
the sounds of them i wouldn't eat.

For me any foods from the shelves that come in at the 30g carb mark, gets put back down like a scalding hot coal.
so making something that exceeds it, doesn't make sense to me personally.
( might just as well skip the hassle and get those Krispy Kremes....;) )

But as you know ..we are all different :D.

and as pointed out we have to start somewhere..
God knows how many carbs i was on before DX..easily over 600, i reckon

Last edited:
Reactions: Evie-D

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree with @Brunneria, the current "standard definition" of
low carb is 130g carbs a day or less - which in the context of how many carbs many people get through in a meal, let alone a day IS low carb. For some people a reduction to the higher end of low carb is all that's needed to control their glucose levels, so there's absolutely no necessity for them to go lower if they choose not to. Not everyone needs or want to reduce carbs dramatically - for some though It may well be a necessity, and for others it's (hopefully!) an informed choice for possible extra benefits. And i suspect for others, not necessarily our forum members, it may be a kudos thing: "Look how low I can go!"

I started eating low carb over five and a half years ago - well before the program existed , so I've not needed to use their recipes. But in spite of what I think about the carb levels and ingredients in some of them, it's still a good starting point for someone who's suddenly discovered they need to reduce their intake and doesn't have much idea of where to start. But I've always worked on the basis of (a) eating to my meter and (b) eating a varied, and most importantly a long term sustainable LCHF diet. I've found my body is happiest around a maximum of approx 50g carbs a day. I can and do go much lower (e.g. down to 20-25 g a day for a few weeks to ensure i was in ketosis) but in general, how low I go is simply a matter of what I choose to eat, or how often I eat , and being keto/fat adapted I don't have to stay at any fixed level. and (as should be the case) naturally go in and out of ketosis depending on my ratio of carbs and fat at the time,

And I am currently enjoying (probably a few too many of) all the lovely in season summer fruits.

Robbity

Reactions: Daphne917

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also eat around 50 to 100 carbs a day (sometimes lower, rarely more). I certainly admire those that are able to stick to keto as it certainly works but my extra carbs come in the form of veg mostly, a bowl of (brace yourselves) STARCHY oven cooked root vegetables! Or a homemade tomato sauce of some kind that contains carbs or even a slice of toast or an apricot. There. I've said it. Mostly my food is of the no/very low carb type as I find that easier to estimate insulin doses, ie cheese, nuts, meat but I find it so much easier to stick to if I can have a few extra yummy carbs (healthy ones mind) to supplement it. I sometimes think people assume that eating extra carbs must mean it's in the form of a chocolate éclair or a big bowl of pasta.