Type 2 Life

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
So on Saturday you will see GP @JohnnyBaker87 ?
I received the food voucher on Friday 2nd August 2019 and collect the food parcel on Saturday 3rd August 2019 from Vauxhall food bank 105 tyers street Vauxhall London SE11. The food bank opens at 11:30am.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
I received a good trolley load of dried and tinned long-life food from Vauxhall food bank this morning on Saturday 3rd August 2019 Anno Domini. I also received a useful tinned food recipe economy book for people to eat when enduring austerity as I am. I did some cookery around my disabled friends flat of minimal spaghetti with hot dogs which is Dr Sheldon Cooper the Asperger syndrome sufferer's favorite food in the big bang theory my favorite scientific comedy show on E4 which is a free view terrestrial television channel.

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Just wanted to ask members . ... have you ever had an episode when you’ve not been able to move or speak? This morning Ron got up to go to the loo, when returning to bed his legs wouldn’t move nor would the rest of his body. He was also unable to speak .

Reactions: Gryph

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just wanted to ask members . ... have you ever had an episode when you’ve not been able to move or speak? This morning Ron got up to go to the loo, when returning to bed his legs wouldn’t move nor would the rest of his body. He was also unable to speak .
I'd like to bump your enquiry @tina_marie. I hope some reply, if not you may hv more success in creating a new thread?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You said the neurologist didn't help maybe time for a re-referral?

Lstuconnor

Hi, new to this site so not even sure if i’m Posting in the right place? Recently (June) diagnosed with type 2. I take 2 doses of 500mg metformin, one of a morning and one with my evening meal which is normally around 6.30pm. I generally go to bed around 10.00 pm and will check my blood sugars at bed time, they’re normally between 10-12 (12.9 tonight). I, ll normally get up at 6.30 and check my fasting blood sugars which are around the 8.6 mark. Is this fairly normal for a diabetic? My blood sugars throughout the day are reasonable, they have the obvious spikes but generally aren’t too high. It just seems to be of a night and of a morning.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello @Lstuconnor welcome to the forum
Your numbers are a lot higher than I would like. Metformin helps a little by reducing the amount of glucose that your liver releases into your blood. It has very little effect on reducing the the sugars from your meals. The best way to reduce your glucose levels is not to eat the foods that cause them to rise.
This is a blog written by one of the members, it is really worth reading
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Last edited:

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
My fasting blood glucose reading was 11.3 this morning. I've just taken my Lixisenatide glucagon-like peptide injection and my 1 gram of metformin.

Reactions: ickihun

Lstuconnor

Hello @Lstuconnor welcome to the forum
Your numbers are a lot higher than I would like. Metformin helps a little by reducing the amount of glucose that your liver releases into your blood. It has very little effect on reducing the the sugars from your meals. The best way to reduce your glucose levels is not to eat the foods that cause them to rise.
This is a blog written by one of the members, it is really worth reading.
Thank you so much for this. I’ve been all over the place to be honest from the minute I got the diagnosis. I’m not overweight, I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I eat quite healthily - I’m no saint by any stretch but like the article mentioned I’ve eaten healthily in accordance with the dietary information I had been given for years. Since the diagnosis I would say I’m nearly on the verge of a food phobia, not entirely sure what I should be eating but knowing quite definitely what I shouldn’t - which at the minute seems to be everything! Added to this, when it is time for me to eat the metformin is making me feel very nauseous. I’m sure in a few weeks i’ll get the hang of it but i’ll definitely be buying that book reference in the article. Thanks again.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
What was your meter reading before bed @JohnnyBaker87?
I didn't take my blood glucose reading before bedtime @ickihun my lovely friend. I did take my bedtime medication, though. I did have two Oatibix with milk and a bowl of oats with half a cup of milk and half a cup of water. I ate some hot dogs with Sainsbury's basics English mustard and there were eight sausages.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
That was yesterday evening when I ate the oatibix the oats and the hot dog sausages

Reactions: Gryph

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
My blood glucose reading a little while ago was spectacularly hyperglycemic standing at 17.5. I haven't eaten anything just been spraying my nicotine replacement therapy mouth spray in my mouth every few minutes to appease craves. I'm now 41 days quit from cigarette smoking according to www.quitnet.com.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My blood glucose reading a little while ago was spectacularly hyperglycemic standing at 17.5. I haven't eaten anything just been spraying my nicotine replacement therapy mouth spray in my mouth every few minutes to appease craves. I'm now 41 days quit from cigarette smoking according to www.quitnet.com.
The 17.5 is from too many carbs @JohnnyBaker87. Anything less carby in fridge/freezer or cupboards?

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Most of the food in my cupboards and fridge freezer is carby. I wish I could afford to buy low carbohydrates food. I'm on an inherently restricted income

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
I realize that better money management and budgeting could make it possible to buy diabetic friendly food. I think the care worker in my new home will be able to help with that praise Jesus

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
You said the neurologist didn't help maybe time for a re-referral?

Ron has seen 3 of them and they all very much said the same . They didn’t know what was causing his problems , then discharged him back to the care of our gp

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
I bought heaps of cockles and mussels and crabsticks with my carer today. I love them!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I bought heaps of cockles and mussels and crabsticks with my carer today. I love them!
Me too.
I could live on seafood, for life. I buy mussels and king prawns with the occasional mixed frozen bag. Most of my household not keen so they last ages because I buy them frozen.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
I ate a whole packet of seafood sticks for my brekky this morning. I ate cockles yesterday.