A normal life

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it so hard? A few beers with my mates and then blood results of 15 even after making adjustments. Is it worth the hassle when no one else actually understands what is going on? This is the first time I've actually snapped my novorapid, mainly because it was due for a change.

No one seems to give 2 f@#$%

Im starving and I feel my only option is to eat a block of cheese, thats how I feel.
1564861348978.jpeg

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
How did u break your syringe
Is it so hard? A few beers with my mates and then blood results of 15 even after making adjustments. Is it worth the hassle when no one else actually understands what is going on? This is the first time I've actually snapped my novorapid, mainly because it was due for a change.

Im starving and I feel my only option is to eat a block of cheese, thats how I feel.View attachment 34652

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Chill my friend there are lots of things to eat but we r all different.
Dont worry about other people Ive experienced alot of people don't have a clue about our condition.
Most people thing it's our own fault
How did u break your syringe

Reactions: Jc3131

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
If you have the support of your family and close friends that is all that counts
Chill my friend there are lots of things to eat but we r all different.
Dont worry about other people Ive experienced alot of people don't have a clue about our condition.
Most people thing it's our own fault

Reactions: Jc3131 and EllieM

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I don’t think there are many of us who can say, Hands on heart, that we don’t have times when we’re fed up with being T1. People who haven’t got T1 really don’t understand all of it, though a few will understand the need to know the carb content of what we eat and drink. It’s rotten if they’ve all gone for a curry and you’re left with a cheese salad!
Do you think the Novo was losing power as it got to the end or was it the carb content of the beer that did it? Or maybe it’s the way alcohol sends us high before it brings us down again.
Beware, for many it’s good to eat something with a bit of carb after drinking so you don’t end up with a rotten hypo.
And of course things often seem worse with a few drinks inside.
Hope things feel better soon!

Reactions: Jc3131 and EllieM

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Im starving and I feel my only option is to eat a block of cheese, thats how I feel.View attachment 34652
Hello, I'm really sorry you feel that way. Diabetes isn't all that bad once you get around it and the precautions you need to take. Unfortunately beers have carbs in them, so you'll need to contact your team explain you need more advice to handle it, possibly a carb counting course or to get started you can get the carbs and cals book or app to give you an idea on what to do for alcohol and an appointment to see a dietitian. It's not to say you can't have it, you can, you just need to figure out the insulin for certain things. With that pen, it looks like a prefilled pen, you'll need another pen if you have one, it doesn't look like a reusable pen.
In my opinion, it's very hard to get someone who has a functioning pancreas to understand our condition. My GPs and consultants have backed me up for years because of my teachers in school never understood why I was unwell. Little did they know that erratic BG levels have an impact on my mood and mental health.
If you're hungry, please eat and take insulin as required and of course eat something with alcohol, because if you hypo, your liver is busy doing something with the alcohol you consumed. I promise you things will get better, :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @Jc3131, sometimes diabetes is a frustrating pain in the backside, you've had moan, so good on you.
It's was just a blip, things will sort themselves out also the number of times I have shouted at my meter and wanted to throw it out the window, has been many !
The good thing about being a member on this forum is there are like minded people, just like yourself, who know the trials and tribulation of type 1.
Take care.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jc3131 . Hi there, not seen you around much recently on the forum.
First up. I, along with a lot of others do understand. T1 diabetes. No one understands it unless they’re T1.
Probably not what you want to hear, but....you’re a T1 diabetic tonight and you’re still gonna be a T1 diabetic tomorrow .
Accept that and it gets easier. 15 after a few beers with your mates is one way of looking at it. Great night out with my mates, a good few laughs, really enjoyed myself ... and ended up with a BS of 15.
15 after a good night enjoying yourself ain’t bad. 15 after a s**t night out would be worse.
The 15 is history, it’s what you do now. Get back in your desired range tomorrow.
Diabetes isn’t just about the numbers, it wants to disrupt our lives as much as it can. If it can make you feel like this after a night out then it’s won. Accept that control will slip on a night out and tell the diabetes monster that it’s going to happen, that way it won’t affect you like it has.
None of us really want to be 15 but all of us will be at sometime. Providing we can accept and understand it then we can still enjoy life.
Totally understand how you are currently feeling, been there, got the T shirt.;)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Jc3131 , sure, I've had situations like that, and it's a PITA, but as time goes by and you learn more about insulin, it's possible to do normal stuff like a few beers with mates, even though our new normal is different from theirs. We do have to think more about insulin dosing, there's no getting away from that, but there a few tricks which can be played.

Some of these will give your DSN a nervous breakdown, the units quoted are all mine, YDMV, it's a lot easier with cgm, and it still might not play out well at 3am...

Here's my current cgm trace, see pic below. Got up late because it's Saturday and I'm on holiday, 80g full fried breakfast brunch with a 5u/5u split at about 4pm, pre-bolused 9u ahead of a beer at about 17:30.

That's the first trick, bolusing quite heavily, 9u seems a ridiculous amount for a 15 to 20g estimated beer, but I do it because I know that (a) carbs in beer absorb quickly, and (b) it will be followed up with another few beers as the night progresses, and the 9u will take care of those too, because the time pattern of the insulin will broadly match the rate at which I'm drinking beer.

Doing it that way means you're correcting in advance, before it needs to be corrected, because it's not got high in the first place.

Second tip is that the 9u is likely not enough to deal with a few more pints, so there's then a series of layered, stacked insulin for each subsequent pint, with the amounts decreasing or increasing depending on how close I'm getting to closing time, because that will have an effect on how much iob I have and that will influence whether I'm planning on having a kebab, some cheese on toast or just some biscuits before bed.

Third trick is that the overall aim is to keep track of iob as that will be the thing which causes bad night hypos if you're not tracking it, try to have a modest amount on board end of night and that amount and general bg state will inform whether it's a kebab, toast or biscuits etc. to avoid a night drop.

Good luck, there are many ways to hit the town and not hit 15, but, sure, they need a bit of thought!

Screenshot_2019-08-03-22-05-04.png

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for the replies. I was having a bit of a moment and I have chilled back to my normal self. Which I have to add is probably a less up tight version than I was a few hours ago.

My insulin pen ended up the way it was because I actually snapped it in anger after seeing my high blood sugar. But and it's a big but, I only did it because I was quite drunk and I knew the pen was due to be changed.

I think snapping it was my way of telling diabetes where to go.

Sorry for the rant as I'm just hitting a 3.6 and In gonna ram some food down my throat. Nothing over the top just a brown bread sarnie. Allinsons wholemeal as it works for me and keeps me stable. As people in the UK will know from the adverts, 'there's nowt taken owt'.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My insulin pen ended up the way it was because I actually snapped it in anger after seeing my high blood sugar.
Sorry for the rant as I'm just hitting a 3.6
Sounds like a good thing you broke the pen rather than rage bolusing, seeing how your bg went :)
Enjoy the sarnie, and if still hungry or angry afterwards, stuff in the cheese as well!

I get hit by the 'quite drunk anger or grief thing' sometimes and I don't think it's a bad way to let those feelings out every once in a while.

Wishing you sweet dreams after solving the hypo, and don't forget your long acting if you take it before bed! (and make sure you have something sugary at your bed side too, just in case :) )

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I really do get your frustration you do everything right and still get it wrong..

Yes no one else really does get it..

Please get a replacement ASAP of your insulin, good mates will understand but your health is mega important so please take care of it, so agree with @Antje77 that it was good you did this instead of rage bolusing after drinking, just hope you have some carbs before bed and no trouble during sleep, take care we all get it here..

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, my novorapid is a disposable pen and it only had a day or two left. That is why I was 'man' enough to break it. I have enough supplies to keep me going.

I feel bad doing it now as it's a waste but there weren't many units left in it if you took out the air bubbles.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel bad doing it now as it's a waste but there weren't many units left in it if you took out the air bubbles.
If it was satisfactory it wasn't a waste! It's not like you do that with every pen.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Jc3131 if it wasn’t working then best thing for it, please do take good care of yourself though, when the insulin isn’t working it’s best replaced just don’t stress about going high on a night out as much as we would love a perfect BG result sometimes it’s not meant to be particularly when you should be having a good night with your mates.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is only a T1 can understand a T1. I think we all get in dark places at times , ive cried myself to sleep many times because of frustration and high numbers.
I have very good control now (according to D Cons and HB 53), but i like to live ans so dont beat myself up now ( well as much) if i throw a 13,14 ,17.... im not perfect im not normal i cant be ...my pancreas is in a syringe ! We have to live our lives ,eat ,drink, holiday , clubs, running , oodles of beer and wine ......just be safe ..go to bed with carbs on board and dont be fixed on numbers ... just do your best when you can . Its a PITA alright ...just like the film remember "tomorrow is another day " ps i like the tips from @Scott-C x

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the replies, I was a little tipsy on Saturday night.

My high readings continued yesterday, in the 14's only dropping to 6.6 before bed. I woke at 10mmol this morning and after breakfast im back to 14 again.

I'm hoping it's because I've not been as active as I've been off work and not my honeymoon period coming to an end.

I could actually do with going on a carb counting course as 2 years into my diagnosis I haven't really been told much. I just picked bits up from people on here and my mate google.

Reactions: Antje77

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been there! Learned now not to sweat over "beer highs." A few hours at >10 isn't going to kill you; wait for the morning and see where you are.

I routinely go to bed with BG >10 because of drinking, but my HbA1c is 38. So the problem is just in my mind. :)

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Equally the opposite of "beer highs" is "wine lows." I can have a few (LOL) glasses of red wine, test just before bed and it's 3.0. OMG, panic, eat stuff ... and I wake up and it's 15. :( If I just ignore it and go to bed, I'll wake up at 5.something. You live and learn.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Equally the opposite of "beer highs" is "wine lows." I can have a few (LOL) glasses of red wine, test just before bed and it's 3.0. OMG, panic, eat stuff ... and I wake up and it's 15. :( If I just ignore it and go to bed, I'll wake up at 5.something. You live and learn.

I wouldn’t ignore a 3.0, it is possible you over treated your hypo and ended up at 15.