lchf help required

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Been a t2 for about 9 yrs now on meds but hate taking them also high bp meds for that too, i enjoy my meats eggs cheese but also bread tatties cerals what i need to know is where to start its hard to try an change also have no energy at all work permanant nights so not easy , thanks inadvance
Paul

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome Paul. The first step is admitting there’s a problem , lol sorry just joking.

Which meds are you on? If it’s metformin then it helps a little but isn’t enough on its own. If it’s other stuff check my last paragraph before continuing.

Do you know what your bloods are currently like?

Mostly in here we do some version of low carb for type 2, because it works when other approaches don’t. It can help diabete, weight and blood pressure. I’ll add some links below to get you started. Meats eggs and cheese is good. Bread, potatoes and cereals not so much but then you seem to know this much already. To maintain energy it’s making sure you get enough low carb food, enough fluids, enough electrolytes and then top up with fats. Working nights is tough, I used to do rotating shifts so appreciate that. I’m sure by now you’ve worked out when your main meal is though so all the same advice still applies you’ll just have to change the clock times to suit your work pattern.

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Edit typos

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That means potatoes for all the sassenach's out there.

As @bulkbiker said bread, tatties, cereals are all high carb. Meats, eggs, cheese are all low carb. :bookworm:

Some times you need to ease into yourself into lifestyle changes, cut out the potato and starchy veg first. Next there are low carb breads out there if you still want to eat bread, just cut down on how much you eat. No longer a couple of sandwiches every day for lunch, but perhaps once or twice a week.

Cereals contain lots of sugar and are made of carbohydrates which are essentially sugar and you take them with milk which contains sugar(then we sprinkle sugar on top). IF you have to eat cereals, porridge, weetabix or shereded wheat are the best of a bad bunch.

Wouldn't you rather have a nice plate of bacon and eggs instead that's good for us diabetics its all protein not a carbs in sight. That's essentially what low carb means more meat less veg.

So now you can have twice as much meat and half the veg, and eat yourself healthy.
Its a funny old world. ;)
:bag:

Last edited:

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
no energy at all
This completely changed (in 24hrs) when I stopped eating any carbohydrates (except green veg). Not saying this will happen to you, your mileage may vary as they say. I'm only 4 wks in so don't know what the long term plan is, but short term no carbs for me. What have you got to lose???

Reactions: 1spuds

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome Paul. The first step is admitting there’s a problem , lol sorry just joking.

Which meds are you on? If it’s metformin then it helps a little but isn’t enough on its own. If it’s other stuff check my last paragraph before continuing.

Do you know what your bloods are currently like?

Mostly in here we do some version of low carb for type 2, because it works when other approaches don’t. It can help diabete, weight and blood pressure. I’ll add some links below to get you started. Meats eggs and cheese is good. Bread, potatoes and cereals not so much but then you seem to know this much already. To maintain energy it’s making sure you get enough low carb food, enough fluids, enough electrolytes and then top up with fats. Working nights is tough, I used to do rotating shifts so appreciate that. I’m sure by now you’ve worked out when your main meal is though so all the same advice still applies you’ll just have to change the clock times to suit your work pattern.

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Edit typos
Hi thanks for the reply im on empag and staglitin for diabeties and amlodipine an ramapril for high bp im hoping to try an come off them
Cheers paul

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This completely changed (in 24hrs) when I stopped eating any carbohydrates (except green veg). Not saying this will happen to you, your mileage may vary as they say. I'm only 4 wks in so don't know what the long term plan is, but short term no carbs for me. What have you got to lose???
Its worth a try me thinks use to go gym regular then it just seemed to get harder and harder to do things

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for the reply im on empag and staglitin for diabeties and amlodipine an ramapril for high bp im hoping to try an come off them
Cheers paul
I went LCHF,walk briskly up and down a hilly street 1-3 times a day for 15 minutes or so and in 4 months off 40mg lisinopril I had been on at least 20 years.If my BP hits 140 or 150 SPB (rarely now) a walk brings it right on down.Maybe you can get lucky like I did.
BP wasnt even on my radar,it just happened.

Edit- I gave up all bread and potatoes,2 of my very favorite foods,but the results were so worth it.

Best wishes Paul.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are far better choices when it comes to veges - bags of stir fry are handy - but I chop up sweet pepper - usually the green ones, courgettes, aubergines, mushrooms, leeks, tomatoes - whatever I find in the fridge really - bean sprouts can be grown at home. I have huge salads, a bag of ready to eat, plus tomatoes, cucumber, coleslaw, celery, beetroot, radish - again anything I find in the fridge that looks good.
One of my wicked pleasures is watching a HCP take my blood pressure and not believe it.

Reactions: WuTwo

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are far better choices when it comes to veges - bags of stir fry are handy - but I chop up sweet pepper - usually the green ones, courgettes, aubergines, mushrooms, leeks, tomatoes - whatever I find in the fridge really - bean sprouts can be grown at home. I have huge salads, a bag of ready to eat, plus tomatoes, cucumber, coleslaw, celery, beetroot, radish - again anything I find in the fridge that looks good.
One of my wicked pleasures is watching a HCP take my blood pressure and not believe it.
Agree 100% with those choices,yumm.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers paul

These may need dosage adjustments if you plan to ditch the carbs...and certainly you should consider monitoring your glucose levels more closely.

Also the permanent night shift could be a major factor affecting your glucose clearance...

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
amlodipine an ramapril for high bp
me too, and they want me on statins. Diabetes drugs next if I can't fix it with "lifestyle" changes. Plus can I review my drinking as I probably have fatty liver. No mention at all of low carb just diet and exercise.

then it just seemed to get harder and harder to do things
This, exactly. It was like being a boiled frog. Things, very slowly, just got harder and harder. I got more tired, more low, my legs felt heavy when walking, I got clumsy, my eyes got blurry, I had acid reflux every day, IBS, inconsistent digestion, out of breath for no reason, water retention when exercising, foggy brain...... I just felt ghastly altogether but put it down to old age (56), lack of exercise, being overweight, stress, stupid commute times (6hrs, 3 days a week, getting up at 4am), job insecurity, house insecurity etc.

I tried really hard to eat well, plenty of healthy carbs (beans, lentils), low fat, not too much meat. I like wine but stopping drinking with my evening meal didn't make me feel better, it made me feel worse! I've never tried a "faddy" diet in my life but the Type 2 diabetes diagnosis brought me here and I read enough to think LCHF was worth a try.......

Reactions: 1spuds

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
me too, and they want me on statins. Diabetes drugs next if I can't fix it with "lifestyle" changes. Plus can I review my drinking as I probably have fatty liver. No mention at all of low carb just diet and exercise.

This, exactly. It was like being a boiled frog. Things, very slowly, just got harder and harder. I got more tired, more low, my legs felt heavy when walking, I got clumsy, my eyes got blurry, I had acid reflux every day, IBS, inconsistent digestion, out of breath for no reason, water retention when exercising, foggy brain...... I just felt ghastly altogether but put it down to old age (56), lack of exercise, being overweight, stress, stupid commute times (6hrs, 3 days a week, getting up at 4am), job insecurity, house insecurity etc.

I tried really hard to eat well, plenty of healthy carbs (beans, lentils), low fat, not too much meat. I like wine but stopping drinking with my evening meal didn't make me feel better, it made me feel worse! I've never tried a "faddy" diet in my life but the Type 2 diabetes diagnosis brought me here and I read enough to think LCHF was worth a try.......
Thats exactly how im feeling an i use to be really active ex forces power lifting but then boom like a wall fell on me

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In retrospect I don't understand why I didn't go to the doctor, probably it just felt like too much effort:banghead::D

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats exactly how im feeling an i use to be really active ex forces power lifting but then boom like a wall fell on me
It'll get better. Go low carb, -carefully, with the meds you're on!- and you'll get your life back. I used to go to the gym too, had to ride a bike there. Cancelled my membership when I practically fell off of my bicycle just trying to arrive at their doorstep. I still can't ride a bike for other reasons these days, but I can walk long distances carrying camera gear (2 camera's, up to 4 lenses and other supplies). I couldn't walk at all when diagnosed, even in my own flat my knees would just give out without warning. I thought it was my thyroid so kept fiddling with my dosage. Turns out T2 was the main problem. (Plus fatty liver and whatnot). Things have changed a lot since then... So i have a feeling you can tackle this just fine.

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It'll get better. Go low carb, -carefully, with the meds you're on!- and you'll get your life back. I used to go to the gym too, had to ride a bike there. Cancelled my membership when I practically fell off of my bicycle just trying to arrive at their doorstep. I still can't ride a bike for other reasons these days, but I can walk long distances carrying camera gear (2 camera's, up to 4 lenses and other supplies). I couldn't walk at all when diagnosed, even in my own flat my knees would just give out without warning. I thought it was my thyroid so kept fiddling with my dosage. Turns out T2 was the main problem. (Plus fatty liver and whatnot). Things have changed a lot since then... So i have a feeling you can tackle this just fine.
Hi im sure ill get this underwrapps to long doin nothing feeling unwell tired all time i want my life back

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi im sure ill get this underwrapps to long doin nothing feeling unwell tired all time i want my life back
Cut out as many carbs as you can.. (all is best) and you'll start to feel great within days..

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's there for the taking. You're going to be alright. There's hope here. :)

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome! From the paper published by the Unwins (referenced in my profile), there is some general guidance:

So what should I eat to control Diabetes or Pre-diabetes?

Reduce starchy carbs a lot (remember they are just concentrated sugar). If possible cut out the
‘White Stuff’ like bread, pasta, rice – though porridge, new potatoes and oat cakes in moderation
may be fine.

Sugar – cut it out altogether, although it will be in the blueberries, strawberries and
raspberries you are allowed to eat freely. Cakes and biscuits are a mixture of sugar and starch that
make it almost impossible to avoid food cravings; they just make you hungrier!!

All green veg/salads are fine – eat as much as you can. So that you still eat a good big dinner try
substituting veg such as broccoli, courgettes or green beans for your mash, pasta or rice
– still covering them with your gravy, bolognese or curry! Tip: try home-made soup
– it can be taken to work for lunch and microwaved. Mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions can be included in this.

Fruit is trickier; some have too much sugar in and can set those carb cravings off. All berries are
great and can be eaten freely; blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, apples and pears too, but
not tropical fruits like bananas, oranges, grapes, mangoes or pineapples.

Proteins such as in meat, eggs, fish – particularly oily fish such as salmon, mackerel or tuna
– are fine and can be eaten freely. Plain full fat yoghurt makes a good breakfast with the berries.
Processed meats such as bacon, ham, sausages or salami are not as healthy and should only be
eaten in moderation.

Fats (yes, fats can be fine in moderation): olive oil is very useful, butter may be tastier than
margarine and could be better for you! Coconut oil is great for stir fries. Four essential vitamins
A, D, E and K are only found in some fats or oils. Please avoid margarine, corn oil and vegetable
oil. Beware ‘low fat’ foods. They often have sugar or sweeteners added to make them palatable.
Full fat mayonnaise and pesto are definitely on!!

Cheese: only in moderation – it’s a very calorific mixture of fat, carbs and protein.

Snacks: avoid. But un-salted nuts such as almonds or walnuts are great to stave off hunger. The
occasional treat of strong dark chocolate 70% or more in small quantity is allowed.

EATING LOTS OF VEG WITH PROTEIN AND FATS LEAVES YOU PROPERLY FULL in a way that lasts.

Finally, about sweeteners and what to drink – sweeteners have been proven to tease your brain
into being even more hungry making weight loss almost impossible – drink tea, coffee, and
water or herb teas. I’m afraid alcoholic drinks are full of carbohydrate – for example, beer is
almost ‘liquid toast’ hence the beer belly!! Perhaps the odd glass of red wine wouldn’t be too
bad if it doesn’t make you get hungry afterwards – or just plain water with a slice of lemon.

Where to get more info?

A book – ‘Escape the diet trap’ by Dr John Briffa (2013). Well researched and easy to read.

Internet – Google ‘about.com low carb diet’ for loads more info and recipes, or look into the closely
related PALEO DIET; also Google ‘diabetes.co.uk forum low carb’ for contact, recipes and hints.

BEFORE YOU START get an accurate weight and measure your waist, re-weigh and measure
once a week to see how you are doing and ask for help if problems or little progress is being
made – GO ON DO IT!!!

Box 1. Advice sheet for patients

Hope this helps...