What swabs do you use?

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I am currently using alcohol swabs to wipe down my injection site. I’ve heard that prolonged use can harden the skin. So wondering what people use.
Any tips?

Thanks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I don't use anything. I'm usually clean enough and if I'm not, I expect I'll have my mind on things other than insulin......

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not using anything is not an option for me. So if you do use something please do let me know. Thanks

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't use swabs either, I think the last time I did was back in the dark ages when I was using the big glass and metal syringe thing (ie about 35-40 years ago), and to be honest it wasn't me using them, it was my parents.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"When 1,700 injections were given without an alcohol swab no infection occurred. ... In association with their Safe Injection Global Network, the WHO no longer recommend swabbing clean skin with a disinfectant before giving intradermal, subcutaneous, and intramuscular needle injections."

https://www.inmo.ie/MagazineArticle/PrintArticle/6696

There is always white vinegar with cotton wool or hydrogen peroxide.

Though they may not kill all pathogens.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Also, it’s worth bearing in mind that alcohol swabs can artificially lower the result if you’re using them for fingerprick blood glucose testing.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@NaijaChick if you are able (or willing) to explain why using no swabs is not an option for you, we may be able to assist with alternatives.

@JohnEGreen unfortunately, I think prolonged use of white vinegar or hydrgoen peroxide may also result in hardening of skin.

Thank you for this and for always being understanding.

I take the tube to work and I can actually say that I sweat. I have found that when I use alcoswaps, dirty comes off. This doesn’t happen on the weekends when I’m at home.
I have the type of system that if I do get an infection then it can be troublesome.

Thanks

NC

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"prolonged use of white vinegar or hydrgoen peroxide may also result in hardening of skin."

This of course is true and vinegar if used as a disinfectant on skin should always be used in the dilute form as pure vinegar can cause a burn on very sensitive skin.

I use non alcohol wipes some times when unable to wash hands prior to testing
If lancets are used once only this can reduce risk of infection also.

I too am very vulnerable where infections are concerned as have suppressed immune system and most antibiotics are not available to me.

Though I don't inject.

Have you considered something like Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser as used by surgeons.

https://www.medisupplies.co.uk/Hand...Hygiene/Hibiscrub-Antimicrobial-Skin-Cleanser

Last edited:

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi John, thank you for your reply. What are the names of the moist wipes that you use?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you for this and for always being understanding.

I take the tube to work and I can actually say that I sweat. I have found that when I use alcoswaps, dirty comes off. This doesn’t happen on the weekends when I’m at home.
I have the type of system that if I do get an infection then it can be troublesome.

Thanks

NC

I haven't used swabs for injection sites for 30 years, but they are provided with my new Libre.
Just a thought, could you test before you get on the tube, as they are not long journeys and then when you get to your destination ?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You can get wipes called Diawipes which aren’t alcohol based and good for cleaning fingers when you can’t wash them. I have a pack in my medical bag for emergencies.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, it’s worth bearing in mind that alcohol swabs can artificially lower the result if you’re using them for fingerprick blood glucose testing.
Using alcohol swabs increases readings when testing. It's best to avoid, simply wash hand. Hope this helps

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Using alcohol swabs increases readings when testing. It's best to avoid, simply wash hand. Hope this helps
To clarify my earlier point (bold text is my own), see Feretti DO, Martin KD. “Isopropyl alcohol left on the skin falsely lowers capillary glucose values” Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management. 2008, 15:179-181

It’s why we in the ambulance service use sterile water and a gauze swab on our patients, as per clinical guidelines.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing. Were you adviced by your health care professionals to clean your injection site?

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I always rinse hands before finger pricking, but like most others, use nothing before injecting insulin. Was never given advice by Health Care Professionals.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, thank you all for your replies. I do not use the wipes for finger testing, just for injecting. I am always somewhere that I can wash my hands and now just been thinking that I could use water and tissue to wipe my injection site ‍♀️ Thank you all.

Reactions: Kim Possible