Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hey everyone, I am claiming Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and have heard that I could claim Personal Independence Payments (PIP), I have phoned PIP and they will be sending me a form to fill out, I am just wondering if PIP will affect my ESA in any way or are they to separate benefits and not affect each other.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No pip won't affect your benefits - my son gets both at full rate (not diabetic though) get some advice from citizens advice about filling it in as the wording makes a difference - there is a good site with lots of advice on filling in will see if I can find it for you :)

Reactions: No1DeadlyPoison

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
They are separate benefits.
If PIP for your diabetes, I have no idea if that is why you want to apply.
I get care side of PIP but that's for my mental health. I am due to renew mine and will put down my mobility problems. I do feel with PIP that it's hit or miss getting awarded. I do suggest the Cab to help fill it in

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
They are separate benefits.
If PIP for your diabetes, I have no idea if that is why you want to apply.
I get care side of PIP but that's for my mental health. I am due to renew mine and will put down my mobility problems. I do feel with PIP that it's hit or miss getting awarded. I do suggest the Cab to help fill it in
Thank you for replying, I also have mental health issues which is why I wanted to claim it. I guess all I can do it try and see if they will allow me to claim it :)

Reactions: oopsupside

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my PIP f2f tomorrow. I also joined B&W before I completed the forms. Im absolutely bricking myself after reading all the comments online about these assessments.

Reactions: tuffythedog

oopsupside

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sand
I have my PIP f2f tomorrow. I also joined B&W before I completed the forms. Im absolutely bricking myself after reading all the comments online about these assessments.
I had a face to face assessment going from DLA to PIP and the person that I was assigned was very, very rude, aloof and made me feel stupid.... D

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with ally1, get a charity whether CAB or other benefit support charity to fill it in. It takes ages, the lady that filled mine in said she's convinced it's designed so that most people give in half way through filling the forms out.

Reactions: tuffythedog

Mister LJ

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Also take photocopies of every page you fill in and post with signed for, so that you have proof of sending the application. The photocopies will help you next time, when you have to fill in a review application.
Good luck! stick at it and don't give up (which is what they want you to do) Highly likely they'll turn you down but then make sure you appeal.

GeordieMark88

My application for PIP has gone in, although the main reason is not the Diabetes although one area has developed due to the diabetes.

I’m registered partially sighted and have two other eye diagnosis as well as suffer from chronic migraines.

If I need a face to face assessment I’ll dread it.

Reactions: Nooch1

bobduff

They have purposely made these forms long and difficult to fill in to put people off applying for benefits. A lot of the time they reject your application too because they want you to give up. If this happens appeal the decision and most often you will be successful. Good luck to everyone that's going through this process.

Hi Hat Annie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 69yr old woman. I have housing benefit and help with community charge. I was diagnosed two weeks ago with a badly damaged and cirrhosis of the liver. I have Hepatitis C for which I take medication to clear it out of my liver.
I am over 64 so cannot apply for PIP. Does anyone know which benefit I should claim for?

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am 69yr old woman. I have housing benefit and help with community charge. I was diagnosed two weeks ago with a badly damaged and cirrhosis of the liver. I have Hepatitis C for which I take medication to clear it out of my liver.
I am over 64 so cannot apply for PIP. Does anyone know which benefit I should claim for?
I believe you could apply for Attendance Allowance. AGE UK will be able to advise you. Good luck.

Reactions: Hi Hat Annie

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Citizens advice are also very good helping with any benefits, they also help you fill in any forms. If you call your local advice centre they will make you an appointment.