Low carb Scone recipe

sweetierufus

Any good low carb scone recipes that people have tried and tested?

Tried a cheesy scone one from blood sugar diet book but so much coconut flour tasted like a macaroon.

I'm looking forward to trying out low carb baking but not sure I've got the knack yet!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@sweetierufus I’m tagging @shelley262 who does a low carb cheese scone.

Have you checked out the ‘what have you eaten today’ thread in the low carb section of the forum? Lots of bakers in there.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I made Blueberry 'scones' the other day, but I didn't make the glaze. scv20190802_161550 (3).jpeg

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/glazed-blueberry-scones/

Reactions: Mbaker and 1spuds

sweetierufus

Well my second attempt was better when using ground almonds. Made peanut butter scones. I don't think I will use coconut flour anymore though as the coconut taste overpowers the recipe. I will keep on baking! its definitely an art to bake without flour! :happy:

Reactions: SlimLizzy

sweetierufus

Not sure if she has a scone recipe but if you fancy trying your hand at low carb baking Ewelina's blog should give you some ideas http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/p/about-my-blog_7.html

Thanks for the link, some great recipes on there. A lot include xylitol which I would need to substitute as have a greedy dog in house and couldn't trust around baked goods:hungry:.

Gonna bake some scones tonight as in the mood for some baking.

Reactions: 1spuds

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Well my second attempt was better when using ground almonds. Made peanut butter scones. I don't think I will use coconut flour anymore though as the coconut taste overpowers the recipe. I will keep on baking! its definitely an art to bake without flour! :happy:
@sweetierufus I found coconut flour flavour overpowering as well, but now mix a small amount of it with ground almonds, butter and tiny bit of sweetener to make a very acceptable crumble topping. Use apples from a can with no added sugar for the base. Coconut flour is too expensive to waste.
Another use for it, as a thickener in curries.

Reactions: sweetierufus

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Had mastered a few flourless cakes/puddings for my gluten free granddaughter, but flour and sugar free, that is a real challenge.
Add to that her dairy free brother and a vegan DIL. Meals now require considerable thought and preparation.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I've made low carb cheese muffins with ground almonds but you could try sesame flour, which I've used for low carb "bread".

Our low carb recipes thread might be another source to check. I've done a post there with all sorts of savoury and sweet variations using a basic recipe to start with.(http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-recipes.4871/page-48#post-987609)

Robbity

Hi, can I ask where you purchased your sesame flour from, as i love sesame seeds and the oil.