Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi , Does anyone else do what me and my hubby does.
When I take my BS test I have to ' guess ' what the numbers are going to be .
The reason for this is, as my hubby can tell I began to dread the readings with them being tooo high and was becoming reluctant to actually test my BS levels.
So he made it into a game for me to over come the dreaded feelings and make it fun for me! [ if you see what I mean? ] So then I would KEEP doing them.
I often wonder how I will feel when they finally do start to go lower, probably squeal with delight and give the hubby a kiss too !
At the moment I keep asking and praying for an below an 8 . :roll:
One day it will happen.
Anna.x :D

Spearmint

Me and my daughter try to guess according to the shade of her blood :lol:
pale is usually low
dark is usually high
mid is usually about right

Albert

Not a chance in hell! I want to know what my readings are when I take them. I'm not into guesswork and games where my bg readings are concerned. I am too old for such things. I don't look on it as a game, it needs to be taken seriously as high readings can lead to complications. I just want the facts from my meter. Even if they aren't 100% accurate.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, wow, spearmint mine is always dark, given the high levels probably reason why.
Albert we dont joke about this, We mean it just helps us to cope with it easier.
It just wears me down with little or no change to mine! despite all I do with concentrated efforts.
Hubby knows it is hard for me, and this is his way to make it easier for me.
Same as spearmint with her young daughter too, I understand too it does need taking seriously also.
I want mine down 'fact' too. It isnt easy for me, doing my best for little reward!
Anna.

Spearmint

anna29 said:
It just wears me down with little or no change to mine! despite all I do with concentrated efforts.

I want mine down 'fact' too. It isnt easy for me, doing my best for little reward!
Anna.

Completely understand you there [hug]
I am still struggling with her nightly rises!
Alhough i do think i have sorted out the daytime now so at least she generally only spends 12 hours high now :roll:

Albert

Maybe you need to keep a closer check on your diet? I presume you don't have sny other medical problems that may give you higher bg levels? I know its hard for some but you really need to make a concerted effort to find the things that are raising your levels all the time. It took me a while at first but then I found I had been eating things which I thought were good for me but after reeading all the stuff that was posted in the greetings section I realised I had been eating the wrong things. Bread, rice, pasta, root veg and anything with flour in it made my readings climb. Not any more though. You can do it, it just takes some willpower and motivation to avoid those things.
Best Al

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, noticed your daughter is on levemir too, same as me.
Its got me wondering even though it is a basal background insulin is it gentler in action than some of the other insulins.
Given that its taking ages to kick in and bring my BG levels down. If you see what I am trying to say?
Been 12.4 and 11.9 since my 12 noon levemir shot. For example. :roll:
Anna.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Albert said:
Maybe you need to keep a closer check on your diet? I presume you don't have sny other medical problems that may give you higher bg levels? I know its hard for some but you really need to make a concerted effort to find the things that are raising your levels all the time. It took me a while at first but then I found I had been eating things which I thought were good for me but after reeading all the stuff that was posted in the greetings section I realised I had been eating the wrong things. Bread, rice, pasta, root veg and anything with flour in it made my readings climb. Not any more though. You can do it, it just takes some willpower and motivation to avoid those things.
Best Al
Albert, I have 2 bowel diseases diverticulitis and coeliac, cant tollerate a lot!
These dominate what I can and cant eat to my further distress.
I eat tiny portions too as my digestive system cant deal with more.
Breads I struggle with, pasta tiny portion only no more than twice a week.
Live on salads, homemade soups, casseroles, certain fruits n veg only, probotic drinks, proactive milk only.
Hope this explains things more. I do try my best.
Anna.
Have worked out these stabalise my readings even though they remain high sadly.

Pneu

Funnily enough yes... although only with myself.. I will often think hmmm I am about X.. most of the time that's right... probably more from routine than anything else..

Spearmint

anna29 said:
Hi, noticed your daughter is on levemir too, same as me.
Its got me wondering even though it is a basal background insulin is it gentler in action than some of the other insulins.
Given that its taking ages to kick in and bring my BG levels down. If you see what I am trying to say?
Been 12.4 and 11.9 since my 12 noon levemir shot. For example. :roll:
Anna.

From what i've read it takes 3-4 hours to start having an effect and peak activity is 9-14 hours, also read that the more you take the longer it lasts.
I have read that you 'should' see the effecs of dose changes after 24 hours but also read it is more like 3 days as it builds up in your system - no idea how much of this is true!

My daughter is now having 9 units around 7-8am and 20 units around 5-6pm.
Switching the evening dose to dinnertime rather than bedtime stopped the rises from going up so high but her morning readings were still mostly 9-15.
This week i have been trialling injecting the novorapid after eating instead of before and getting less rises, testing every hour in the evenings, doing a correcttion at 10pm means she wakes testing 8-10 BUT tonight her readings have all been 6-7 so am hopeful for a good waking reading - fingers crossed.

It is the time it takes to get it all sorted out which frustrates me as i am impatient :oops:
I hope you start to get some better readings soon x

iHs

Anna

I understand how you must be feeling about about your bg levels. Were you aware that Levemir can be injected twice a day? Its effect on bg background control is not very long. It is milder than Lantus. Can't say how it compares with the other background insulins as I have not used them but I think you might get better control if you inject Levemir twice instead of just once. Have a chat with your dsn about it.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, I do levemir shots 12noon after lunch, then victoza shot at 7pm , then levemir 11pm.
My DSN told me to increase dosage up 5units a week till BG levels hit under 8 .
Am still trying to adjust to it all, doing as my told, loads of palavar etc
Yet waiting to see the below 8 hit the meter!
Anna.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Anna29

Yes, I understand your 'game' too. I think it's a brilliant way to take your fear away. Obviously, there's no detriment, as you are then checking the real result. No doubt we'll all hear you squealling, all over the country, when you get new lows, eh? ;)

Well done

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

My partner asks me 'what have the scores been today?' - I've tried explaining that my BG readings are not 'scores', but he still persists :roll: I also try to guess mine by the colour and density of the blood, but I'm invariably wrong :lol:

Smidge

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
My husband and I often like to have a guess before getting on the meter (and also hba1c results) - it takes a bit of the seriousness of the condition away for a few minutes as others have said and o harm done. I'm more often right than wrong as well which is quite amazing - think sometimes that I do have some in-built perception of BSs .......but probably not.

Grazer

I think you can have a bit of fun with guessing while still taking it seriously. Whatever makes life easier, go for it. I have a guess occasionally, but normally when I've been wicked and eaten something I shouldn't - then I'm normally right of course, it's high! Last one was a bit of fish in a light BATTER! Lovely, but my run of sub-8's crashed with a 9.5.
I don't guess at HbA1c, because I know it on a running basis. I've got a spreadsheet I wrote backed by a 40'ish character calculation which shows my estimated A1c at any time. Last official test showed my calc was only 0.3 different from the actual. Not bad as my meter could probably explain this difference. I do it out of a morbid curiosity, but it does have the effect of motivating me when I see what one or two bad bits of control do to my A1c
Malc

onlytwintip

I often try and guess my readings. When I do it around my friends we sometime have a guessing competition, often with a beer at grabs! Very interesting fact about the shade of the blood though, never noticed.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi , I know what you mean, have been peering closer to see the colour of blood on my finger since learnt this fact last night. :!:
It is more dark browny in colour than any shade of red! Weird. :shock:
Anna.x

leedsgirl

Albert said:
Not a chance in hell! I want to know what my readings are when I take them. I'm not into guesswork and games where my bg readings are concerned. I am too old for such things. I don't look on it as a game, it needs to be taken seriously as high readings can lead to complications. I just want the facts from my meter. Even if they aren't 100% accurate.
Chill a bit for goodness sake! We have to get some humour out of this awful condition.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the Doctors keep cutting the test strips out for us we may all be guessing all the time rather than testing, so it may be worthwhile getting used to guessing the right level then we won't miss our meters!!
Just a thought.
Angie