What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know what happened but I have suddenly been able to see posts from way back when. I had thought the thread was deserted for about a week but suddenly y'all hove into view. Breadgate is a fascinating one. For 4 years we have tried to make LC bread with no real success. The best route appears to be milled flaxseed and water baked at a high temperature in tins smeared with lard but only about 50% of those who try to make it manage to solve the issue of a soggy inside (big youtube comments section-) we all get a magnificent crust. Best commercial one I have found is this one https://mydiet-shop.co.uk/baking-cooking/74-skinny-low-carb-brown-bread-roll-mix-5905279424814.html which comes out like this
upload_2019-8-7_13-44-32.png

Also used and liked by a very food savvy member @maglil55
The original recipe and instructions for the flaxseed bread were in the excellent booklet what have you eaten today @shelley262 prepared and were posted by @Mbaker which is here

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my! That brought a tear, my gran sang that to me way back, and now and again something brings it back to mind. Thank you PG

Kinda like my experience of it -- my dad had a recording of it among his collection of big band records, 78s as well as LPs including one by Rudy Vallee.

He also had a book with this story in it, @HarrisonK and @PenguinMum --

Two men were talking about their favorite musicians. One told of his uncle, who could play a clarinet and a sax at the same time.
"With one side of his mouth he plays 'Life Is Just a Bowl of Cherries.' With the other side he plays 'Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree With Anyone Else But Me.' And with the middle his blows out the seeds."
--Laughing Stock, Bennett Cerf

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know what happened but I have suddenly been able to see posts from way back when. I had thought the thread was deserted for about a week but suddenly y'all hove into view. Breadgate is a fascinating one. For 4 years we have tried to make LC bread with no real success. The best route appears to be milled flaxseed and water baked at a high temperature in tins smeared with lard but only about 50% of those who try to make it manage to solve the issue of a soggy inside big youtube comments section- we all get a magnificent crust. Best commercial one I have found is this one https://mydiet-shop.co.uk/baking-cooking/74-skinny-low-carb-brown-bread-roll-mix-5905279424814.html which comes out like this
View attachment 34717

The original recipe and instructions for the flaxseed bread were in the excellent booklet what have you eaten today @shelley262 prepared and were posted by @Mbaker which is here

I've been wondering where you've been. Good to see you back. :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 today (salad yesterday but from local deli. The amount if shredded pork she puts on top is obscenely delicious!!!! I have to eat it all, too much protein!)

Quicky today.

Just to add my leaflet which I've just photographed and added pics. Not the best quality but hey hoe.

It will be used by my 2 surgeries and many more hopefully. An alternative to current advice!

I have wanted to do one for a while but life got in the way.

Wanted it to be from my own perspective, diabetic to diabetic. Photo personalised it and shows the results physically. Leaflet explains more about the diabetes and the low carb way of management. All what I have picked up from this fab forum.

4 pages so not too long that people wont read. And colourful. Dr David Unwin who I bumped into at real food rocks cake stall (he was eating a tub of cream, dipping the occasional strawberry in when I threw myself in his path!!!) said I could use his infographs (can sadly only fit 1 on so went for common foods). They are in NICE guidelines so out there for all to see but to get his go ahead made my day. To actually meet him and his lovely wife made my year.

I wanted to keep it simple and as clear as possible. And to tell people it wasn't their fault (something I myself struggled with for months).

I wanted to say 'you must get a monitor and strips' but not everyone is in the financial position to do this. So I just said it is extremely beneficial.

I didn't want to put too much emphasis on exercise which may put people off. I dont really do much at all. Never have. Apart from trying to do 10k steps a day. My surgery added the 150 mins where possible. I would have liked space to say things like get off bus a stop early. Park car further away. Get up and down at night to get metabolism going. That sort of thing.

I would have liked to say 'dont worry about fat, fat is your friend' but I feel I might overstep the mark.

I would have liked to put so many more links in. Not enough space.

They included diabetes.org.uk. I ommited it purposely!!!

It's not perfect but if it helps one person I will be happy. It's not just for diabetics but pre diabetic and anyone wanting to lose weight the low carb way.

I intend when I get back from my jolies on 1st Sept to try and establish contact with lots of surgeries and arrange meeting with their diabetic teams to discuss. Will take my box of goodies!!!

Any feedback appreciated. Still time to change it although it's a pdf and changes to the food list (americanised) prove time consuming and I've already pushed my luck. I have a couple of notes re changes from members on this thread (thanks).

Attachments

• 20190807_152429_resized.jpg
    20190807_152429_resized.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 97
  • 20190807_152438_resized.jpg
    20190807_152438_resized.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190807_152443_resized.jpg
    20190807_152443_resized.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20190807_152448_resized.jpg
    20190807_152448_resized.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 82

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Once again all many thanks, Mrs J has her work cut out on the bread front. Embracing low carb has enabled her to lose weight which pleases her enormously.
Oh and benefits me also......but don't tell her.

@jjraak I got out on the bike this morning 43 miles, 20 of them wet and my summer kit is now on the washing line drying I hope.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheesed off by a 6.3 this morning with no obvious reason. Still 6.3 even though I’ve only had a couple of coffees. Yesterday I ate only a few carbs and just 2 meals within a 6.5 hr window so I’m flummoxed but no point dwelling on it.
@alf_Josiah the lc best bread recipe I’ve come across was recommended by @ianpspurs a while back, it’s this:
www.hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipe/flaxseed-buns/ it does include a tiny bit of maple syrup which I either don’t bother with or use sugar free version. They are quite ‘hearty’ artisanal type rolls but that’s the sort of thing I like. ( ps thanks @Debandez for the tag) using milled flaxseed will make the rolls hold their shape better than whole flaxseed. Have a good time up that Welsh mountain.
@Viv19 I always made the family’s packed lunches the night before, using frozen bread slices too.

Yep, that Hemsley and Hemsley bread works well ( I don’t use bother with the maple syrup either) - I just forget to make it in time so the 90 sec mug bread works for me. - Loads of good recipes out there , just can’t stand psyllium in anything though - makes everything taste of damp cardboard.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, that Hemsley and Hemsley bread works well ( I don’t use bother with the maple syrup either) - I just forget to make it in time so the 90 sec mug bread works for me. - Loads of good recipes out there , just can’t stand psyllium in anything though - makes everything taste of damp cardboard.
Agree the Helmsley x2 bread is good though I only made rolls and not for a while. I wonder if made in a loaf tin it could be sliced and toasted. Ever tried that? To to my great amusement @ianpspurs calls them The Swoon Sisters lol :happy:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know what happened but I have suddenly been able to see posts from way back when. I had thought the thread was deserted for about a week but suddenly y'all hove into view. Breadgate is a fascinating one. For 4 years we have tried to make LC bread with no real success. The best route appears to be milled flaxseed and water baked at a high temperature in tins smeared with lard but only about 50% of those who try to make it manage to solve the issue of a soggy inside (big youtube comments section-) we all get a magnificent crust. Best commercial one I have found is this one https://mydiet-shop.co.uk/baking-cooking/74-skinny-low-carb-brown-bread-roll-mix-5905279424814.html which comes out like this
View attachment 34717

One to try

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree the Helmsley x2 bread is good though I only made rolls and not for a while. I wonder if made in a loaf tin it could be sliced and toasted. Ever tried that? To to my great amusement @ianpspurs calls them The Swoon Sisters lol :happy:

I get the swoon sisters thing - not made it this week yet but will be doing so in all probability - I do it in a loaf tin - must get some lard first - I bet bacon fat will be great also.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So ... the KittenCat and I were enjoying treats a little while ago. Chocolate-dipped sunflower seeds for me and tuna medley treats for her, both in zip-loc packets, both packets in my lap, seeds on my left hand, tuna treats on my right hand.

I let her sniff at a seed treat (would never let her actually lick/eat one because of the chocolate) and then I reached into the packet for another and put it in my mouth.

Hmm. That one must have missed the chocolate dip. ... Tastes a bit saltier than the previous one too. ...

Oops. ...

You know, for a tuna cat treat, that wasn't half bad!

And did you know that horse treats that smell like granola cereal actually taste like burnt toast? Ask me how I know ...

Reactions: ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The psyllium I have at the moment turns everything purple - even more off-putting.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 hope the FBG didnt affect your day too much sometimes FBG is a mystery and very annoying. I imagine its good for the soul having young Dennis around.

He does make me laugh which is good for the soul, but I should stop myself laughing when he does something naughty, I’m sure it makes him worse. Yesterday he got into the spare bedroom and found the box of Christmas decorations. I found him at the top of the stairs trying to look innocent, surrounded by the detritus of artificial tree branches.
IMG_0736.jpg

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I know that feeling. My 2 had the newell post at the bottom of the stairs and the gripper strips for the carpet whilst I was at work when they were just over 12 months old.