My First Diabetes Review, 31 July 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 508720
  • Start Date

Syd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Sheila L you should really be supported on this forum in your actions to deal with your diabetes diagnosis, rather than be given "advice" to do something different, no matter how well meant that advice might be.

It is refreshing to read something on this forum which is positive with regard to the healthcare professionals and the courses which they provide.

What you seem to be doing is similar to how I dealt with my diabetes Type 2 diagnosed nearly six years ago. I was overweight and eating too much, so the obvious solution seemed to be eat less and lose weight. Out went sweets, biscuits, cakes, sugary drinks, red meat, meat pies and oven chips, and in came baked sweet potatoes, green vegetables, fruit (berries mainly) fish, and so on, and overall I reduced portion size and avoided snacking between meals.

You will find out soon enough when you have your next blood test whether the steps you are taking are taking you in the right direction. If they are, then the obvious thing to do is continue what you are doing, if not, then that would be the time to reconsider your approach. As you have lost weight, I would expect your HbA1c to be lower.

If you do not want to self test, then do not. I did, but only because I wanted to see that my blood sugars were going in the right direction and I did not have the patience to wait for my HbA1c result from the doctors. I soon found that the meter was not accurate, in that three readings taken at the same time from fingers on the same hand gave three different readings. The best that the meter gave me was a sense that my levels were lowering. I have not tested for over five years and do not miss it at all.

So carry on and best of luck later in the month.

Syd

D

Deleted member 508720

Thank you for your reply. It’s certainly true that there’s lots of conflicting advice available. I’ve encountered quite a few differences of opinion of members on this Forum. What I have found is that people have experimented with different diets and eating plans and have managed to come up with one that suits them and which works for them. Many people have told me that they have managed to get their Type 2 Diabetes either under control of into remission, which is very encouraging to read.

I do have confidence in my doctor, my diabetic nurse and in the information I received on the DESMOND training day. I have also learned a lot on the Diabetes UK Learning Zone on their website. I’ve also had much help and advice from people with T2 Diabetes who are members of this Forum. Many of them are extremely knowledgeable about the subject. I’ve read numerous different ideas and seen many radical eating plans but I have to follow a diet which I can eat and which works for me. I have had very positive feedback that what I am doing is working. I have lost a lot of weight and reduced my blood pressure dramatically, which I am thrilled about.

With kind regards, Sheila

D

Deleted member 508720

Hello @Sheila L you should really be supported on this forum in your actions to deal with your diabetes diagnosis, rather than be given "advice" to do something different, no matter how well meant that advice might be.

It is refreshing to read something on this forum which is positive with regard to the healthcare professionals and the courses which they provide.

What you seem to be doing is similar to how I dealt with my diabetes Type 2 diagnosed nearly six years ago. I was overweight and eating too much, so the obvious solution seemed to be eat less and lose weight. Out went sweets, biscuits, cakes, sugary drinks, red meat, meat pies and oven chips, and in came baked sweet potatoes, green vegetables, fruit (berries mainly) fish, and so on, and overall I reduced portion size and avoided snacking between meals.

You will find out soon enough when you have your next blood test whether the steps you are taking are taking you in the right direction. If they are, then the obvious thing to do is continue what you are doing, if not, then that would be the time to reconsider your approach. As you have lost weight, I would expect your HbA1c to be lower.

If you do not want to self test, then do not. I did, but only because I wanted to see that my blood sugars were going in the right direction and I did not have the patience to wait for my HbA1c result from the doctors. I soon found that the meter was not accurate, in that three readings taken at the same time from fingers on the same hand gave three different readings. The best that the meter gave me was a sense that my levels were lowering. I have not tested for over five years and do not miss it at all.

Syd

Syd
How wonderful to receive such an encouraging and positive reply. Thank you very much, Syd. I apologise for not replying earlier. I have only just spotted your post; for some reason I didn’t receive an email alert as I usually do.

I am very grateful for the help I receive from my doctor and my diabetic nurse. They have both been so supportive to me. I was given much help as to what I should be eating and they have been keeping their eye on me. I found the whole-day DESMOND course very helpful. It wasn’t so much that I learned anything new because I had to wait for a place on the course. By that time I had done a lot of research myself. What the course did do for me was to confirm that the foods I am eating are, in their opinion, the correct and healthy choices. I am very pleased to have lost weight and to have reduced my blood pressure so much. As you say, it will be when I get my HbA1c results that I shall find out if the steps I’ve taken are working. If not, I’ll have to re-think.

We don’t like to eat food which is high in saturated fat. It is so encouraging to read that the diet you have followed is similar to mine. Yes, I have also completely cut out those sweet and sugary foods as well as red meat. I’ve adapted fairly easily to my new food regime. I am so pleased that this way of eating worked for you and that you no longer have to test your blood sugar level.

I was very surprised to read of your experience with using a meter and not getting accurate results. I didn’t think that would happen. I know a number of people are advising me to get a meter but I specifically asked about this when I attended for my appointment last week. I was relieved when I was told that I didn’t have to do this with the medication I’m on. I can understand why you bought a meter and that you were eager to know what your blood sugars were like, without waiting for the result from the doctor. I feel very much the same way. I do understand the reasons why people advocate having a meter and regularly testing to see how various foods affect sugar levels.

My problem is that I just cannot bear the thought of having to prick my fingers and draw blood, however advanced the meter is and however easy I’m told that it will be. I know people have said that they will help me, and I appreciate this, but I still find the idea quite daunting. If my results are not good later in the month, I may have to think again.

I wish you all the best and thank you again, Syd, for offering me such positive feedback and encouragement.

Kind regards
Sheila

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How wonderful to receive such an encouraging and positive reply. Thank you very much, Syd. I apologise for not replying earlier. I have only just spotted your post; for some reason I didn’t receive an email alert as I usually do.

I am very grateful for the help I receive from my doctor and my diabetic nurse. They have both been so supportive to me. I was given much help as to what I should be eating and they have been keeping their eye on me. I found the whole-day DESMOND course very helpful. It wasn’t so much that I learned anything new because I had to wait for a place on the course. By that time I had done a lot of research myself. What the course did do for me was to confirm that the foods I am eating are, in their opinion, the correct and healthy choices. I am very pleased to have lost weight and to have reduced my blood pressure so much. As you say, it will be when I get my HbA1c results that I shall find out if the steps I’ve taken are working. If not, I’ll have to re-think.

We don’t like to eat food which is high in saturated fat. It is so encouraging to read that the diet you have followed is similar to mine. Yes, I have also completely cut out those sweet and sugary foods as well as red meat. I’ve adapted fairly easily to my new food regime. I am so pleased that this way of eating worked for you and that you no longer have to test your blood sugar level.

I was very surprised to read of your experience with using a meter and not getting accurate results. I didn’t think that would happen. I know a number of people are advising me to get a meter but I specifically asked about this when I attended for my appointment last week. I was relieved when I was told that I didn’t have to do this with the medication I’m on. I can understand why you bought a meter and that you were eager to know what your blood sugars were like, without waiting for the result from the doctor. I feel very much the same way. I do understand the reasons why people advocate having a meter and regularly testing to see how various foods affect sugar levels.

My problem is that I just cannot bear the thought of having to prick my fingers and draw blood, however advanced the meter is and however easy I’m told that it will be. I know people have said that they will help me, and I appreciate this, but I still find the idea quite daunting. If my results are not good later in the month, I may have to think again.

I wish you all the best and thank you again, Syd, for offering me such positive feedback and encouragement.

Kind regards
Sheila

I am another one here taking it moderately and one step at a time. On day 1, Immediately after diagnosis, out when the fizzy drinks, the sugar, cakes, pastries and ice cream completely. Potatoes and rice consumption have also now been reduced considerably and I use a smaller plate for meals. I continue in my efforts to reduce the carby things. My Hbac1 when diagnosed 12 weeka ago was 107 and it is now around 58. It seems that reducing the sugar input gets it down quite quickly. Still a way to go though to get below the magical figure of 48 and keep it there.. Like yours, my BP is already much lower.

I am finger pricking and find it useful in telling me what effect different foods have on me Its worth the little bit of pain to find out what to avoid. It also gives me a good idea when my BG spikes during the day and does help with understanding.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A Syd said if you don't want to test then there is no reason why you should it is not compulsory not everyone on this forum does it but they still get on ok You are going the right way for you and it is working you are loosing weight your blood pressure has come down you have cut out a lot of the foods that raise blood glucose the most and you are happy with your medical team and that is really good so go with your own instincts

D

Deleted member 508720

I am another one here taking it moderately and one step at a time. On day 1, Immediately after diagnosis, out when the fizzy drinks, the sugar, cakes, pastries and ice cream completely. Potatoes and rice consumption have also now been reduced considerably and I use a smaller plate for meals. I continue in my efforts to reduce the carby things. My Hbac1 when diagnosed 12 weeka ago was 107 and it is now around 58. It seems that reducing the sugar input gets it down quite quickly. Still a way to go though to get below the magical figure of 48 and keep it there.. Like yours, my BP is already much lower.

I am finger pricking and find it useful in telling me what effect different foods have on me Its worth the little bit of pain to find out what to avoid. It also gives me a good idea when my BG spikes during the day and does help with understanding.
How wonderful to receive your message. Thank you very much. It was so encouraging to read of all you have been doing because your situation seems almost identical to mine! Just like you, my diagnosis was my wake-up call and I cut out the wrong foods out immediately. I too have cut out all those fizzy drinks, the cakes, puddings, ice cream, chocolate etc. In fact, all the things which I used to live have gone. I am also trying very hard to reduce the carbohydrates, just like so many people on this Forum have been advising me to do.

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I had no idea that carbohydrates turned to sugar in the blood. It was the diabetic nurse who explained all that to me when I saw her back in May. One thing which I haven’t done is to use a smaller plate for meals. I do try to keep my portion sizes down but it would be a lot more reliable with a smaller plate. The problem is, I love our dinner plates but they are large. When I went to the DESMOND course, the person leading mentioned about how dinner plates keep getting bigger. I know ours are large because if we are not careful, they catch on the side of the dishwasher!

It is an incredible achievement that your HbA1c is now 58, whereas 12 weeks ago it was 107. You must be absolutely delighted. That is great for me to hear as mine was 110 but it makes me think that my result could be much lower when I have it tested on 19 August. I must admit that I was fearing it with trepidation. If mine could reduce quite quickly, that would be tremendous.

As you’ve probably read in some of the threads, one thing I’ve not done is to buy a meter and test my blood sugar before and after meals to see how different foods affect my levels. I know that what you say is right but You just cannot bear the thoughts of doing it.

One thing I’ve found very encouraging is being a member of my local Diabetes UK group. The meetings are lovely occasions, where my husband is welcome to come along with me. We start with coffee and a social time of conversation and getting to know each other. Afterwards, there is a talk or discussion by a diabetes expert. The group is very well attended. Tomorrow evening we are going to our next meeting, which is of the West Dorset group.

Thank you again very much for contacting me. I do hope you are able to achieve your desire of getting your HbA1c down to 48. I didn’t know that that was the magical figure. If only ...

I send you all my very best wishes.
Kind regards, Sheila

Reactions: Pinkorchid
D

Deleted member 508720

A Syd said if you don't want to test then there is no reason why you should it is not compulsory not everyone on this forum does it but they still get on ok You are going the right way for you and it is working you are loosing weight your blood pressure has come down you have cut out a lot of the foods that raise blood glucose the most and you are happy with your medical team and that is really good so go with your own instincts
Thanks very much for your reply and for your encouragement that it is still possible to get on all right even though I am not testing. That is really good to know. I really appreciate you advising me to keep on with my own instincts.

It would be absolutely wonderful if my HbA1c is significantly reduced after I’ve had my blood tests done on 19 August. It is true that I have taken drastic measures to change the way I eat, in the hope that it will reduce my HbA1c result. I was told that it was incredibly high at 110; in fact, the doctor told me that it was life-threatening. I am thrilled that I have lost so much weight and that my blood pressure has dramatically gone down; this gives me the incentive to keep on persevering.

I send you my very best wishes. Sheila

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Kind regards
Sheila
I do not test, Shiela. At one point I intended too. If I had to I would. The way I approached the LCHF diet was to become conversant with the carb content of virtually everything. Then going from there. Why not test? I do not have the time during a busy day to do that, either at home, at work, when out or on holiday. I have studied the forum and the membership reactions to various food stuffs and drawn up a set of guidelines for myself. It has worked as my diabetic symptoms have disappeared. My blood sugar is normal (HbA1c), my weight is down, my blood pressure is down.

I can totally see the point of testing but decided it wasn’t for me under the circumstances.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 508720

I do not test, Shiela. At one point I intended too. If I had to I would. The way I approached the LCHF diet was to become conversant with the carb content of virtually everything. Then going from there. Why not test? I do not have the time during a busy day to do that, either at home, at work, when out or on holiday. I have studied the forum and the membership reactions to various food stuffs and drawn up a set of guidelines for myself. It has worked as my diabetic symptoms have disappeared. My blood sugar is normal (HbA1c), my weight is down, my blood pressure is down.

I can totally see the point of testing but decided it wasn’t for me under the circumstances.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me. I very much appreciate it. It’s really good to hear that you do not test either. It would be extremely difficult to do so, with your busy lifestyle. I totally agree. Like you, I would do if I had to.

It has certainly been very eye-opening to read all the reactions to various food items of members of the Forum. I have had to do what you have done by considering what people have said and drawing my own conclusions. You have proved that what you are doing is right because you have lost weight, your blood pressure is down, your HbA1c is normal and your diabetic symptoms have disappeared. That’s a fantastic achievement. I have lost the weight and my blood pressure is down; the only difference in my case is that I won’t have that all-important HbA1c result until after 19 August.

I’m pleased that everything has worked out so well for you and I do appreciate you sharing your experiences with me. I’m just hoping that I too get some positive feedback when my diabetic nurse phones me with the results around 22 August!

Thank you again for your encouragement and sending you my best wishes.
Sheila

Reactions: Listlad and 1spuds

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How wonderful to receive your message. Thank you very much. It was so encouraging to read of all you have been doing because your situation seems almost identical to mine! Just like you, my diagnosis was my wake-up call and I cut out the wrong foods out immediately. I too have cut out all those fizzy drinks, the cakes, puddings, ice cream, chocolate etc. In fact, all the things which I used to live have gone. I am also trying very hard to reduce the carbohydrates, just like so many people on this Forum have been advising me to do.

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I had no idea that carbohydrates turned to sugar in the blood. It was the diabetic nurse who explained all that to me when I saw her back in May. One thing which I haven’t done is to use a smaller plate for meals. I do try to keep my portion sizes down but it would be a lot more reliable with a smaller plate. The problem is, I love our dinner plates but they are large. When I went to the DESMOND course, the person leading mentioned about how dinner plates keep getting bigger. I know ours are large because if we are not careful, they catch on the side of the dishwasher!

It is an incredible achievement that your HbA1c is now 58, whereas 12 weeks ago it was 107. You must be absolutely delighted. That is great for me to hear as mine was 110 but it makes me think that my result could be much lower when I have it tested on 19 August. I must admit that I was fearing it with trepidation. If mine could reduce quite quickly, that would be tremendous.

As you’ve probably read in some of the threads, one thing I’ve not done is to buy a meter and test my blood sugar before and after meals to see how different foods affect my levels. I know that what you say is right but You just cannot bear the thoughts of doing it.

One thing I’ve found very encouraging is being a member of my local Diabetes UK group. The meetings are lovely occasions, where my husband is welcome to come along with me. We start with coffee and a social time of conversation and getting to know each other. Afterwards, there is a talk or discussion by a diabetes expert. The group is very well attended. Tomorrow evening we are going to our next meeting, which is of the West Dorset group.

Thank you again very much for contacting me. I do hope you are able to achieve your desire of getting your HbA1c down to 48. I didn’t know that that was the magical figure. If only ...

I send you all my very best wishes.
Kind regards, Sheila

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for your reply. Likewise it is so very helpful to see someone who was diagnosed around the same time as me with similar levels and how they are progressing. Like you, we had large dinner plates and mealtimes were always an enjoyable occasion. The plates went straight down to the Charity Shop when I was diagnosed and initially it was a big shock when their smaller replacements arrived. We have got used to them now and the new portion sizes just seem normal. It was a good move.

In my view, you are doing all the right things and I find it very reassuring to find someone in such a similar position.

Good luck with your results on the 22nd, it will soon come around. I am sure they will be well down. You will have to let us know.

D

Deleted member 508720

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for your reply. Likewise it is so very helpful to see someone who was diagnosed around the same time as me with similar levels and how they are progressing. Like you, we had large dinner plates and mealtimes were always an enjoyable occasion. The plates went straight down to the Charity Shop when I was diagnosed and initially it was a big shock when their smaller replacements arrived. We have got used to them now and the new portion sizes just seem normal. It was a good move.

In my view, you are doing all the right things and I find it very reassuring to find someone in such a similar position.

Good luck with your results on the 22nd, it will soon come around. I am sure they will be well down. You will have to let us know.
I’m pleased that my progress is also an encouragement to you. Thank you for such positive comments. I’ve clicked the “Follow” option then I can read any posts you make and also see how you are getting along.

How sad you had to send your plates to the charity shop. The smaller ones must have come as a shock.

The restaurants of the more expensive hotels now serve quite small portions. We went to our favourite hotel for our wedding anniversary. We both chose the salmon. It arrived on an enormous plate but was just a tiny amount of food in the middle of the plate! The salmon was on top and beneath were 3 minuscule pieces of new potato, a tiny scrap of asparagus and some watercress. The panacotta with summer berries consisted of a tiny panacotta, half a strawberry, a raspberry and a blueberry. We only drank sparkling spring water. All that for almost £100!

I’ll endeavour keep you updated when I get my results, if I can work out how to do it.

All the best, Sheila