What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. Another day of opportunities and several carps to diem.

The wonder wheel of continuous monitoring and fancy graphs gave a quick snapshot of a 4.8 this am before my liver decided to get in on the act.

Bike had a nice service yesterday but unfortunately they gave it a thorough cleaning and it now looks all sparkling and new - **** those medaling mechanics. I now have to go out on it for a while today and put some dirt back on it. They also re-set my trip meters to zero so I will now have to fill the tank with fuel.

Anyhow, early as it is, koffy is calling and I am under strict instructions to wake Mrs Miggins up at 0800 - she is taking our grandson, Mr Pickle, to one of these new fandangled swimming places that is half inside and half outside.

Have a great day if you can, hugs of differing sizes for those who need them. Say hello to old folk if you are out and about - some may be bereft of conversation - every little helps.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 this morning, how? I had pork chops for dinner and I was 5.4 after two hours, about 10pm I had the munchies so had some pistachios. I really don't have a clue :banghead::(

Now I want a pork chop ... and it's 10 'til 2 in the morning and the grocery store's closed!

Reactions: DJC3 and HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The wonder wheel of continuous monitoring and fancy graphs gave a quick snapshot of a 4.8 this am before my liver decided to get in on the act.

Bike had a nice service yesterday but unfortunately they gave it a thorough cleaning and it now looks all sparkling and new - **** those medaling mechanics. I now have to go out on it for a while today and put some dirt back on it. They also re-set my trip meters to zero so I will now have to fill the tank with fuel.

Anyhow, early as it is, koffy is calling and I am under strict instructions to wake Mrs Miggins up at 0800 - she is taking our grandson, Mr Pickle, to one of these new fandangled swimming places that is half inside and half outside.

Have a great day if you can, hugs of differing sizes for those who need them. Say hello to old folk if you are out and about - some may be bereft of conversation - every little helps.

Hello back, young'un. :D

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.5 today

out all day volunteering today so the soggy weather forecast won't have too much impact, I don't remember a summer with so many thunderstorms since we moved to this area, usually we get more rainbows than lightening strikes ;)

Mum was expecting visitors at the weekend but they've put it off for a week so we'll perhaps have another chance to tidy the grass a bit before they arrive :)

Looking forward to the annual village art show this week, always interesting and mr. gee says they do very good tea and home baking, I say they do very good tea :hilarious:

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

was 4.6 yesterday and 4.3 today

yesterday was a mixed weather day, we had some sunshine and quite a bit of rain but it was mr. gee's birthday so we went out for lunch and a walk, he didn't want a fuss so that was what we did, had a nice lunch and a pleasant walk in the sun :)

still grey this morning here with a weather warning for thunderstorms (again) so it looks as if it may be more of a 'stuff' sorting indoor day than an outdoor gardening day today :sorry:

hope your day treats you kindly :)

Happy belated birthday Mr G

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all the meter of doom threw a 5.7 frighteningly hard at me this morning, like a petulant child when asked to give back a toy, I grudgingly accepted it as I knew it would sit and stew if I didn't. Cough gate is still happening, my wife is not getting any sleep with it and as I'm like a father hen faffing around her it makes her even more grumpy. enjoy the sunshine before the weather turns nasty, I have a five hour drive to Bedford later, and I can't wait! (Not)

Take care everyone.
You do make me giggle

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who celebrate national bin day.
Again many thanks for the bread recipes and bread chat, It shoots my blood sugars so I avoid it, but Mrs J has this bee in her bonnet, or should I say bread in her bonnet.

Well folks an ok 7.2 for me this morning, I am pleased with that because I shall be out on the bike this morning and I don't want to risk my blood sugars falling.

I shall be orf the grid so to speak for the next few days on top of a Welsh mountain and nowhere near internetty connection things, so folks enjoy yourselves, bark at the post man, chase cars or whatever floats your boat.
Will really miss your fun posts but wish you a very happy break. Enjoy.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know what happened but I have suddenly been able to see posts from way back when. I had thought the thread was deserted for about a week but suddenly y'all hove into view. Breadgate is a fascinating one. For 4 years we have tried to make LC bread with no real success. The best route appears to be milled flaxseed and water baked at a high temperature in tins smeared with lard but only about 50% of those who try to make it manage to solve the issue of a soggy inside (big youtube comments section-) we all get a magnificent crust. Best commercial one I have found is this one https://mydiet-shop.co.uk/baking-cooking/74-skinny-low-carb-brown-bread-roll-mix-5905279424814.html which comes out like this
View attachment 34717

Also used and liked by a very food savvy member @maglil55
The original recipe and instructions for the flaxseed bread were in the excellent booklet what have you eaten today @shelley262 prepared and were posted by @Mbaker which is here

Looks easy enough but I bet mine wouldn't turn out like that!

Who is this chef @ianpspurs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 today (salad yesterday but from local deli. The amount if shredded pork she puts on top is obscenely delicious!!!! I have to eat it all, too much protein!)

Quicky today.

Just to add my leaflet which I've just photographed and added pics. Not the best quality but hey hoe.

It will be used by my 2 surgeries and many more hopefully. An alternative to current advice!

I have wanted to do one for a while but life got in the way.

Wanted it to be from my own perspective, diabetic to diabetic. Photo personalised it and shows the results physically. Leaflet explains more about the diabetes and the low carb way of management. All what I have picked up from this fab forum.

4 pages so not too long that people wont read. And colourful. Dr David Unwin who I bumped into at real food rocks cake stall (he was eating a tub of cream, dipping the occasional strawberry in when I threw myself in his path!!!) said I could use his infographs (can sadly only fit 1 on so went for common foods). They are in NICE guidelines so out there for all to see but to get his go ahead made my day. To actually meet him and his lovely wife made my year.

I wanted to keep it simple and as clear as possible. And to tell people it wasn't their fault (something I myself struggled with for months).

I wanted to say 'you must get a monitor and strips' but not everyone is in the financial position to do this. So I just said it is extremely beneficial.

I didn't want to put too much emphasis on exercise which may put people off. I dont really do much at all. Never have. Apart from trying to do 10k steps a day. My surgery added the 150 mins where possible. I would have liked space to say things like get off bus a stop early. Park car further away. Get up and down at night to get metabolism going. That sort of thing.

I would have liked to say 'dont worry about fat, fat is your friend' but I feel I might overstep the mark.

I would have liked to put so many more links in. Not enough space.

They included diabetes.org.uk. I ommited it purposely!!!

It's not perfect but if it helps one person I will be happy. It's not just for diabetics but pre diabetic and anyone wanting to lose weight the low carb way.

I intend when I get back from my jolies on 1st Sept to try and establish contact with lots of surgeries and arrange meeting with their diabetic teams to discuss. Will take my box of goodies!!!

Any feedback appreciated. Still time to change it although it's a pdf and changes to the food list (americanised) prove time consuming and I've already pushed my luck. I have a couple of notes re changes from members on this thread (thanks).

Looks good - things like this can always be changed and fiddled with but you have your message and it gets it past the NICE police. Hope that this can persuade people to make some changes in their lives. Having spoken to the GP practice that I attend, they are focusing upon their cohort of pre-diabetics. With so much depravation in this area, they are trying for a regional push to unlock funding. Meanwhile, it looks as though a couple of Friday mornings in September will see me helping to heard about 1500 patients towards a group of nurses armed with flu jabs (lucky pneumonia jabs also available for the needy).

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So ... the KittenCat and I were enjoying treats a little while ago. Chocolate-dipped sunflower seeds for me and tuna medley treats for her, both in zip-loc packets, both packets in my lap, seeds on my left hand, tuna treats on my right hand.

I let her sniff at a seed treat (would never let her actually lick/eat one because of the chocolate) and then I reached into the packet for another and put it in my mouth.

Hmm. That one must have missed the chocolate dip. ... Tastes a bit saltier than the previous one too. ...

Oops. ...

You know, for a tuna cat treat, that wasn't half bad!

And did you know that horse treats that smell like granola cereal actually taste like burnt toast? Ask me how I know ...

Reminds me of a time I reached out for the Colgate toothpaste (red n white tube) I obviously expected a minty taste. I got the taste of Canesten!!! Red and white tube! That won't happen again!!!

Reactions: DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He does make me laugh which is good for the soul, but I should stop myself laughing when he does something naughty, I’m sure it makes him worse. Yesterday he got into the spare bedroom and found the box of Christmas decorations. I found him at the top of the stairs trying to look innocent, surrounded by the detritus of artificial tree branches. View attachment 34735
Look at that face!!! The face of pure innocence... !!!!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks good - things like this can always be changed and fiddled with but you have your message and it gets it past the NICE police. Hope that this can persuade people to make some changes in their lives. Having spoken to the GP practice that I attend, they are focusing upon their cohort of pre-diabetics. With so much depravation in this area, they are trying for a regional push to unlock funding. Meanwhile, it looks as though a couple of Friday mornings in September will see me helping to heard about 1500 patients towards a group of nurses armed with flu jabs (lucky pneumonia jabs also available for the needy).
Great opportunity to get some new recruits for the PPG. 1500 possibles! :) any diabetics in there? Throw the leaflet at them ;-) what am I like? Unrelenting.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone,

So, yesterday I met my doctor who is glad about my sugar control. HbA1C was 6% (which I guess is 42 in the UK system). He is reluctant to cut metformin any lower. My current level is 1000 mg per day (500 mg at breakfast and 500 at dinner). He wants me to stick to that and if my numbers are stable for next 6 months, he says we can consider lowering. LDL is high (and I must say I was binging on all kinds of cheeses in the last few months) and he wants me to bring it down in next three months. If not - statins :-(….. So, I think the cheese binging needs to stop I guess!!! Anything else that helps reducing LDL? My exercising / work out / walking is quite regular now and I can increase a bit but not too much, I think.... Any other diet / lifestyle changes that help bringing down LDL???

Thanks!!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thrilled with myself this morning for 3 reasons:
1) I'm keeping up nicely with this thread!
2) FBS 5.6
3) what happened yesterday is heartwarming

So, my BIL had his PIP app declined. He was on 'indefinite DLA' for many years but when they changed to PIP they didnt award him anything. This was 2 years ago. He didn't want to appeal. Part of his condition (autism) is he can be very stubborn and we didnt want to upset him and force him so left it. Little did we know the consequences. But that's another story. 2 years later with his health deteriorating and his anxiety levels increasing we have managed to get him to apply. His app was rejected. We had lots of supporting evidence including reports from drs and psychologist and we went to assessment to go through an hour of grilling with BIL. But it appears they didnt listen to anything!!! So we have to appeal. The whole thing has been very upsetting. But there is light..

We sold a upvc door on Ebay a few weeks ago. The couple who bought it were lovely. We chatted for 2 hours standing in the sunshine. He only worked for DLA/PIP for 30 years. He invited us around last night to his to help with appeal. It was like meeting old friends. The gin came out. I volunteered to be designated driver. We arrived at 7pm and left at 11.45! During that time the gentleman went through everything with us. Completed the appeal in fact. He was on the computer much of the time (still able to chat in between). Printed everything off and we came away feeling incredibly relieved. His wording was perfect. His phrasing of answers blew us away. If this doesn't win the appeal nothing will. If this gets thrown out its onwards to a judicial review.

This couple don't know us. But they spent the whole evening helping us. Just lovely. They made me coffees. Eric lost count of the gins he had!

So today I'm buying a thank you card to pop in the post. I do calligraphy (not so often these days and literally only for special occasions) and will be writing both the card and envelope in this. Once this is all sorted I will be replenishing their gin supply and returning their hospitality.

Re my FBS I did think it would be higher. We had no dinner at all and were starving when we got home (the couple offered us cheese and biscuits but we politely declined). I had 2 ryvita and lots of cheese with a small glass of wine whilst we sat there digesting the evening. No nuts but I expected a high reading today. 5.6 was very welcome.

Happy Thursday to all.

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

So, yesterday I met my doctor who is glad about my sugar control. HbA1C was 6% (which I guess is 42 in the UK system). He is reluctant to cut metformin any lower. My current level is 1000 mg per day (500 mg at breakfast and 500 at dinner). He wants me to stick to that and if my numbers are stable for next 6 months, he says we can consider lowering. LDL is high (and I must say I was binging on all kinds of cheeses in the last few months) and he wants me to bring it down in next three months. If not - statins :-(….. So, I think the cheese binging needs to stop I guess!!! Anything else that helps reducing LDL? My exercising / work out / walking is quite regular now and I can increase a bit but not too much, I think.... Any other diet / lifestyle changes that help bringing down LDL???

Thanks!!!

First of all well done on the hba1c. Great news. Secondly, dont panic. There is a lot of mis information surrounding cholesterol.

Try this calc:

https://cholesterolcode.com/new-report-tool-launched/

Then have a Google at this thread @bulkbiker put together. Its fab. I'm sure if you have any questions he will be very happy to answer. Also @shelley262.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. A disappointong 6.1 today, i did get up late but ate sensibly yesterday. Maybe its my weekend catching up with me. Onwards with the sensible eating!
@gennepher that is hilarious..I can just imagine the KC giving you a withering look cos its ok for you to eat hers but you dont share yours. @HarrisonK I feel just as cheated by my number as you do. @Debandez what an interesting and helpful evening you all had..sound lovely people and new friends too. Hope BIL gets sorted properly. @DJC3 that expression says it all “butter wouldnt melt”. It must be like locking stuff away from a toddler! Bless him. @johnpol hope Mrs Jp gets better soon with all your TLC.
Have a great Thursday everyone. I am doing a bit of housework, loads of deadheading outside and keeping the hedge man supplied with beverages.
Stay well, get well, stay safe.