Tramadol feedback please

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've also been told by the doctor that the next strongest painkiller after tramadol is morphine.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're totally right Beshlie, people in chronic pain don't realize how tolerance to painkillers especially opiates can sneak up on them and make them dependent. I can only imagine the horrors of withdrawal after such a long term course. Take care
This is so true i have just suffered after trying to come off these opiate pain killers (oxicodone ) . I have never been so ill in my life after going cold turkey trying to get off them . The doctor gave me a real telling off and I am now on a structured withdrawal . Sometimes the side effects of these drugs are worse than the symptoms they are prescribed for .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
To withdraw from opiates strong codein can be used.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Connie, don't feel one ounce of guilt and blame the doctors who hand out sripts for strong opiates like smarties and don't consider other things like TENS machines, alternative therapies like accupunture ( it works, I've had it on the NHS ) and relaxation therapies. I was on Oxycodone (Oxynorm 5mg instant realease) for a short period after shoulder surgery and you definately feel too good on them and I thought "no more of these".

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Tried acupuncture did nothing.
Tried Tens machine just irritating.
Had to go for electrical potential tests ... wired up like I was in one of Saddam Hussiens police stations and started bouncing all over the bed ... had to abandon the tests ... explained why I found TENS so irritating.
Worked my way through various pain killers and at the mo am on Tapentadol ... very strong very addictive class A' drug.
Yes I must be physically addicted by now but I'd rather that than the pain I suffer without it.

Last edited by a moderator:

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's what works for you Jack and no doubt you need Tapentadol if it's for chronic pain or diabetic neuropathy. I understand. It's just some GP's go for the cheap option and dish the smarties out first.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
That's what works for you Jack and no doubt you need Tapentadol if it's for chronic pain or diabetic neuropathy. I understand. It's just some GP's go for the cheap option and dish the smarties out first.
Yeah I know what you're saying.
My docs for all their faults and the pain clinic don't do the smarties routine ... in fact quite the opposite which is good.
This isn't diabetes related by the way ... knackered spine ... see if I can spell this .... SPONDYLILOLISTHESIS and SPONDYLILOLISRETRO.
Couple of my vertabrae keep moving backwards and forwards out of place causing havoc with discs and nerves and blood vessels and .... PAIN!!!
At the moment also on course of strong antibioitics for bladder infection that has moved into my nuts caused by neuropothy of the bladder ... (neuropathic bladder) but nothing to do with diabetes and everything to do with damaged nerves in my spine.
Now looking at having an operation to plate and bolt some vertabrae together to stop them moving. If it works most of my problems will be gone if it doesn't I could end up in a wheelchair rest of my natural.
I'm going to take the chance.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well I hope you consider surgery and the pain subsides and your quality of life improves. Must be so frustrating for you. I've got diabetic nephropathy now and do not want complications like neuropathy as I don't think I could suffer in pain long term. Take care

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Connie, don't feel one ounce of guilt and blame the doctors who hand out sripts for strong opiates like smarties and don't consider other things like TENS machines, alternative therapies like accupunture ( it works, I've had it on the NHS ) and relaxation therapies. I was on Oxycodone (Oxynorm 5mg instant realease) for a short period after shoulder surgery and you definately feel too good on them and I thought "no more of these".
Thanks Eddie, I live in Spain and I was sent to the pain clinic at the hospital . I started off on 5 mg oxicodone twice a day and over a few months they increased the dose to 40 mg twice a day. They then discharged me back to my doctor once they had made me a complete zombie .

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You misheard or he was wrong ... there are quite a few painkillersstronger than Tramadol weaker than morphine.
I was on morphine for a while but found it to sleep inducing and sickly.
Went onto Tramadol and it was much better ... killed the pain better too.
Strength isn't always what you want ... target is usually more important.
Morphine is a very strong painkiller but useless for toothache.

Thanks for the info. :)

G

graj0

I've taken this on and off for a while, due a to motorcycle accident and a dry stone wall, lol, it really is one of the better painkillers. The person I care for also takes this, she needs a knee replacement but is too young for that to happen, like everything else take one to many and it does have side effects, light headedness slurred speech and at times some confussion

I've been told that I'm too young for replacement knees and I've tolerated two arthritic knees for over 10 years now. However, your friend might find this interesting, a knee with a 30 year warranty (in the US), that'll do me nicely. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...0k-clearance-for-a-30-year-knee-91815029.html. Unlike the US where you put in your zip code and get a list of the nearest surgeons familiar with this knee, it's a struggle, here in the UK. However, after a lot of research I can tell you that there is a surgeon at Basingstoke Hospital who uses these knees in his private as well as his NHS practice. Basingstoke may be no use to your friend, but I mention it purely to let you know that there is a knee replacement with a much longer life than average and there must be NHS surgeons elsewhere. For my own part I'm going to have to stump up the dosh, I've had enough of waiting to be old enough.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was given Tramadol when a rare complication set in, CRPS, when I broke my wrist (it was smashed up) and I was constantly sick and vomiting, so, I tried to take ordinary painkillers, but they didn't help.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm on tramadol but it wears off far quicker than dihydrocodeine so in effect I hv to take more to keep pain under control. I need to keep active so need a painkiller to move with 2 trapped nerves (1 in back and 1 in neck).
I'm going to attempt reducing tramadol under GP guidance as I've heard they are a mild antidepressant. Well maybe no tramadol alone but definitely with Amitripyline which I take too, at night.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've heard some deadly accounts of people overdosing on tramadol but I write down the time of taking mine. Just in case.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on tramadol for a frozen shoulder a couple of years ago when I reacted with an awful rash to dihydrocodeine. It worked well for the pain but easily left me zonked out and that’s very unusual for me to react that way to any meds. Coming off it was really horrible though and it was a phased withdrawal from quite a low dose. If I had to take it again I’d be very very wary of keeping the course as short as possible and taking the dose down even more slowly.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I've also been told by the doctor that the next strongest painkiller after tramadol is morphine.

I've only taken Tramadol after my 3 c-sections and was given morphine after my 3rd. Rather different experiences for me they were.
Tramadol felt like a nice glass (or two) of wine, but probably with more clarity and better pain killing properties.
Morphine made me feel like superwoman jumping up for the first time after surgery, but I had the itches really bad! Not sure I would want to take it again because of that.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I
I was given Tramadol when a rare complication set in, CRPS, when I broke my wrist (it was smashed up) and I was constantly sick and vomiting, so, I tried to take ordinary painkillers, but they didn't help.
I wish I'd had Tramadol when my wrist was smashed up (I have a plate and 6 screws now). The put me on oxynorm and I was having hallucinations from that :p

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I had morphine on the ward from muscular spasms after laparoscopy Roux-en-y. To be honest I think it just made me sleep due to no more spasms which were very much like labour or my body trying to get rid of a foreign body (staples). No vomiting just muscular heavy pain. I couldn't get rid of pain myself. Luckily lovely lady across from me alerted staff as I was too distracted with pain to press for help. I didn't even think of it.
Morpine helped hugely. God knows how people cope without temporary pain relief in such circumstances. It definitely has its uses of which it was intended for. I guess like all meds.

Dihydrocodeine was easily stopped as I was left with tramadol throughout recovery. My GP is excellent at knowing the meds I use, currently. I trust his knowledge.

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I took tramadol following an operation. I was on it for around 5 weeks and suffered dreadful side effects when I came off them. I was anxious, couldn’t sleep, crying all the time, feeling sick. The GP said it was withdrawal. I didn’t taper them off just stopped after 8 a day! Side effects stopped after a few days, but I guess I hadn’t been on them that long .