Light-headed, Ketones and T2....

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, have had now for a few months a light-headed feeling, maybe vertigo (along with tinnitus) and generally eat circa 1500 calories a day (male), usually a mix of vegetables, meat and fruits (berries) along with small amounts of carbs (about 50-100g per day estimate).

I have noticed that when i 'play' with the carb intake (today decided to eat a Tesco Hoisin Wrap, 49g of carb, 9g sugars) that i have pre-meal figures of about 5.7 mmol/L, an hour after it went to 8.4 mmol/L and by hour two, back down to 6.8 mmol/L (I deliberately didn't do any walking etc., as wanted to see what happens when sedentary!). I then noticed that upon urination (pee lol) that (as in the past when loading in one hit with carbs) it smells distinctly 'acetone' or nail polish remover in nature.

I should add that i am purely (T2) diet managed, my blood levels consistently sit around 5.7 mmol/L, and when eating normally i don't peak more then 1.5 mmol/L. My last HbA1c was 26 mmol/mol (April 2019), self-tested 4-weeks ago was 35 mmol/mol. I had a full cardiac check done (numerous ECG's, Echocardiogram, Holter and Cardiologist review) with nothing found, ENT further referral to come although nothing immediately obvious from a private ENT consultant review at this stage.

The question is - has anyone felt this way with similar figures, and is some form of DKA (unlikely in T2's i know!) or Ketosis on some level evident perhaps?? Any answers greatly appreciated...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My betablockers can give me dizziness and disorientation.
Are you on any form of heart or blood pressure meds?

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, no form of medication other than Pantoprazole, which i have been on for many, many years now without any kind of problems...

Reactions: ickihun

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Acetone smelling wee is usually a sign that you're eliminating ketones. and in high concentrations can be due to how (de)hydrated you are. When very low carbing it may be a sign that you're partially in (nutritional) ketosis, producing ketones but not necessarily fully able to utilize them as fuel yet.

DKA is generally caused by a combination of high glucose levels, high ketone levels, and a severe lack of insulin.

Robbity

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, i drink lots of fluids....about 1.5 to 2 litres per day on average, and just found it odd that the acetone smell seems to always be coincident to a large carb intake - normal?

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"and you reckon you are in ketosis? I find that a bit odd.. How are you measuring your ketone production?"

No, No i don't as my numbers are normal and no other symptoms - was merely asking the question as i can not think of why i would have the acetone smell after consuming carbs....if bloods were high, then could understand as that might indicate a low insulin production, but not the case. And it might be related to the vertigo/light-headed feeling i've had for months and which i'm trying to resolve seeing as the NHS can't/won't/are broken and not available to consult.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"and you reckon you are in ketosis? I find that a bit odd.. How are you measuring your ketone production?"

No, No i don't as my numbers are normal and no other symptoms - was merely asking the question as i can not think of why i would have the acetone smell after consuming carbs....if bloods were high, then could understand as that might indicate a low insulin production, but not the case. And it might be related to the vertigo/light-headed feeling i've had for months and which i'm trying to resolve seeing as the NHS can't/won't/are broken and not available to consult.
I see I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that including ketones in the title implied you were in some way in ketosis.
Are you having enough salt? This can often be a cause of light headedness and if as most of us do you have removed processed food from your diet then it could be lacking?
Also if you are drinking quite a lot of fluids you could well be flushing out your system too much?

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, diet remains the same with regard to slat intake - in fact, i have elevated BP, so not looking to indulge in too much salt by way of increase - although i do understand the thinking behind that, as usually low BP can cause similar symptoms...unless i am elevated due to white coat syndrome, and then drop to low BP levels when at home (doubtful lol).

Interesting thought regarding 'flushing out' the system...

TrevorJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well it is possible that the wrap had some vegetable that had a unique smell. Asparagus makes urine smell funny as do a few others. So it may not be keytones at all. The best way to check is to buy keytone strips. They are cheap and will let you know instantly.

Deborah5832

Hello. I was recently in hospital and after five days of fasting my ketones were 20+. However in the absence of high sugars my endo said without any symptoms it was not a problem. It is I think unlikely that that you would suffer from DKA with low sugars. And I think it takes more than one day to achieve ketosis. But hope you are feeling good and congrats on your amazing control just using diet.

Reactions: Deb1million