Is blurred vision temporary?

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed just over a week ago with Type 2. Blurred vision wasn’t one of my symptoms pre-diagnosis but about 3-4 days in to a new diet and Metformin it started. I can see things at a distance, but close up they’re very out of focus.

Is this likely to be a result of the rapid blood sugar drop? (24 down to 5 in just over a week) If so, does it settle down and go back to normal or am I likely to need some glasses?

I’ve got the standard ophthalmology referral in process but I’m hoping this isn’t retinopathy but something less ominous.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We cannot diagnose here but its very common on changing bgs. I suffered more with it on metformin. Insulin therapy is designed to heavily influence bgs but being hugely insulin resistant I like to taper any changes otherwise I'd be constantly correcting hypos. The vessels prefer gentle improvements. Metformin is very protective too. You will find it improves with better fasting blood glucose as well as the 3hr after meal bgs.
It needs to settle down more.

Reactions: Barba_Rossa

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed just over a week ago with Type 2. Blurred vision wasn’t one of my symptoms pre-diagnosis but about 3-4 days in to a new diet and Metformin it started. I can see things at a distance, but close up they’re very out of focus.

Is this likely to be a result of the rapid blood sugar drop? (24 down to 5 in just over a week) If so, does it settle down and go back to normal or am I likely to need some glasses?

I’ve got the standard ophthalmology referral in process but I’m hoping this isn’t retinopathy but something less ominous.
When your blood sugars drop, there's less/no sugar in your eyes, distorting your vision. All this time, your brain has corrected for that particular distortion, and now it has to learn it doesn't have to anymore. It'll be a few weeks, but if you have a lot of trouble, some cheap reading specs'll see you through.

This is a good sign, your blood sugars are dropping. yay, you!

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I was diagnosed 12 weeks ago and have experienced blurry vision since. It was explained to me that your brain gets used to the high sugar levels and compensates with your eyesight focus, as already mentioned. As your sugar levels come down you may then experience blurred vision. The rapid drop sounds like the probable cause.

I had my retinopathy test about 5 weeks ago and three weeks later got the "All Clear" result.
I still had blurry vision until about 10 - 14 days ago and now the eyesight is focused again.

Make sure when you have your retinopathy test that you take a pair of sunglasses with you. No-one told me that afterwards, normal daylight is very very bright and the sunglasses help for some hours after.

I am expecting the blurriness may return as my sugar levels drop further, but It will not worry me.

Do not get new glasses until it settles down. I am sure that like me, you will be ok.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Try some cheap off the shelf reading glasses - it is not worth going to have an eye test and getting expensive prescriptions glasses, as in a few weeks they will be no use.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My vision also went blurry at first, but now is ok. I am sure you will be fine- it does feel worrying at the time though.

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks folks. That’s all reassuring stuff. I think I’m just super sensitive to these changes now and can’t help worrying a bit when I notice them.

mouseee

I'm nearly 3 weeks post diagnosis and this is the same for me. I have found that they are worse when I get up but slightly improve as the day goes on. My prescription glasses correct most of it but my daughter has had to read the carbs off labels for me as they're too small.

I cancelled an opticians appointment I had as I don't think it will be very useful to get new glasses just now!

Hoping it goes away soon though. I have had to get audio books as it's annoying not to be able to read during my holidays! I teach and this is my reading in the sunshine time!