Type 2 How to lose weight on HFLC

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
This is normal, happened to me. First stone really easy then plateaued, stayed the same eight for a while, before losing more weight. I upped my physical activities to kick start weight loss again. Eating protein and fats should feel full longer therefore reducing the need to snack. A good breakfast is a starting point. If you find you need to snack, celery and soft low carb cheese is good or peanut butter however check labels for the lowest total carb content.

Peanut butter upsets stomach. I tried even marmite one and loved it. Stomach didn’t.

Not a fan if snacking on veg

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Irrespective of the amount of carbs in the banana, they are the worst thing a T2 should eat. They are fast acting. Meaning almost as soon as the banana touches your tongue the glucose is released pretty darn quickly. Did you watch any Wimbledon matches? If so you may have noticed the players munching on bananas between games. This is to give them a quick and fast energy boost. The problem for us is, it spikes the blood sugars far too high, which probably counteracts the energy boost and makes us tired.

Try something fatty instead of the banana - a full fat Greek yogurt or a good helping of double cream with a couple of strawberries chopped up would be better for you.

Bananas are handy as can eat if I need to quickly

Something like yoghurt takes longer and you have to sit and eat

It’s an idea for when at home though

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Cana - some of the things I found when feeling my way into reduced carbing were fairly simple, but took me a while to fully work out.

One of the fundamental things I learned was that Carb intense items, like a banana weren't really my friend, because they were a big hit, in terms of what I wanted to achieve and also hard on my system. They seemed to take quite a bit of resource to digest. They might have boosted my energy, but also boosted my blood sugars (and carb load for the day). At the time, I was living in an area where we grew bananas in our garden, so no air miles, horrid fertilisers or the like involved.

Once I sussed that, I started to look at tweaking how I fuelled. What I learned than was that I had to time things slightly differently. If I was going to have an energy dip mid afternoon, say, I needed to fuel around a couple of hours beforehand, to get my food into my system.

I've never been a snacker, or grazer, so I found that frustrating, so ended up just upping the content of my meals a bit, and allowed my body to sort out the rest.

Yes, I had a few days or a week, when breaking some of the eating habits to get out of the habit of doing, or eating x, y or z, but our bodies generally help us out.

Finally, I'll say it again, if you are unable to fit your desired way of living around the medication you are taking, it could be time to discuss this with your Doc. Going thirsty, and potentially dehydrated on a medication wouldn't make sense to me. I would want to work out either how I could drink more, or negotiate a tweak in meds to all basic hydration. Dehydration is dangerous.

There are over 400 pharmaceutical options for treating T2, before including insulin, so it seems very likely there is something out there to better suit your lifestyle.

I’m seeing doc for my anniversary bloods next Friday do I’ll speak to her then.

Since the really ridiculous hot day I’ve just not felt right. Tired all the time and body just feels very heavy and no energy. So am thinking dehydration,

I’m doing something wrong and different because I was coping fine before. Just since then I’m shattered.

Even wondering if my hbaic has increased. I’m not feeling dissimilar (although maybe not as severe) as before diagnosis

D

Deleted member 308541

Bananas are handy as can eat if I need to quickly
Even wondering if my hbaic has increased. I’m not feeling dissimilar (although maybe not as severe) as before diagnosis
Bananas blew my hba1c out, that is how I ended up on Metformin for 2½ years, the speed bump in the pix in my sig was caused by eating bananas.

Hotpepper20000

For me it not just how many carbs one food item has but but what the carbs are.
Grains of any kind and tropical fruit spike my BG no matter how little I eat.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
For me it not just how many carbs one food item has but but what the carbs are.
Grains of any kind and tropical fruit spike my BG no matter how little I eat.

Don’t eat grains or bread at all.

I’ve eaten pasta twice in last two weeks because 1) someone cooked me a meal and I didn’t feel able to say no 2) went for meal on Sunday and it was Italian. I had cannelloni loads of cheese so plan was fat balanced it a bit.

Otherwise no pasta either.

Only carbs are in things like the bananas, veg like beetroot (devastated they are so high) and frudge raiders.

Done good today. Not exact but think I’m about 25-30g today (must be doing well given I feel like death and blinding headache )

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t eat grains or bread at all.

I’ve eaten pasta twice in last two weeks because 1) someone cooked me a meal and I didn’t feel able to say no 2) went for meal on Sunday and it was Italian. I had cannelloni loads of cheese so plan was fat balanced it a bit.

Otherwise no pasta either.

Only carbs are in things like the bananas, veg like beetroot (devastated they are so high) and frudge raiders.

Done good today. Not exact but think I’m about 25-30g today (must be doing well given I feel like death and blinding headache )
Sounds like it might be keto flu! Fluids and electrolytes, not just sodium but magnesium and potassium too.
How are the levels ?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Sounds like it might be keto flu! Fluids and electrolytes, not just sodium but magnesium and potassium too.
How are the levels ?

Today yes.

Good. Haven’t eaten much all day.
Usual breakfast, then didn’t eat till 3.30 with a carb killa and then just leaves with corned beef.

Think one problem is because I’m going out a lot at weekends I tend to eat differently. During week I’m fine. Out I’m ok at main meals but lunches I’m stuck because everything is sarnies.

Before the salad o got to 5.4

Been 6s all day. Did t take meds last night and not planning to tonight because don’t know how easy it will be to use toilet tomorrow. Am shadowing another instructor so on his time not mine. So figured two days off meds should limit ridiculous peeing.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today yes.

Usual breakfast, then didn’t eat till 3.30 with a carb killa and then just leaves with corned beef.

Think one problem is because I’m going out a lot at weekends I tend to eat differently. During week I’m fine. Out I’m ok at main meals but lunches I’m stuck because everything is sarnies.

Been 6s all day. Did t take meds last night and not planning to tonight because don’t know how easy it will be to use toilet tomorrow. Am shadowing another instructor so on his time not mine. So figured two days off meds should limit ridiculous peeing.

Could you elaborate on your issue with lunchtimes, when out? In the early days, that was a bit of a frustration, but it gets easier.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Could you elaborate on your issue with lunchtimes, when out? In the early days, that was a bit of a frustration, but it gets easier.

Well what to eat. Not talking restaurant because you can swap. But coffee shops. Everything is pasta salad or panini or sarnie. There is nothing edible for low carb.

So main meal I’m fine. May not make right choices all the time. But lunch times in a coffee shop is the problem. Or even just a cafe at lunch time (small ones etc)

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So since I’ve been diagnosed I have lost about 1 st to 1.5 st without trying.
But to be honest since October November last year have stayed the same.

Figured I might be eating but too much fat maybe so I tried to cut down. Didn’t work, found I was snacking more as needed energy and actually out on couple pounds.

So once you gave naturally lost weight because it’s low carb etc how do you shift more weight?

I find that If my numbers are controlled I can do more and that's how I have been able to lose weight. If my number are high I cant do many tasks because I feel fatigued and tired but with glucose control I feel more at ease and more energy.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well what to eat. Not talking restaurant because you can swap. But coffee shops. Everything is pasta salad or panini or sarnie. There is nothing edible for low carb.

So main meal I’m fine. May not make right choices all the time. But lunch times in a coffee shop is the problem. Or even just a cafe at lunch time (small ones etc)

If I find myself in that circumstance, I just have a drink. If I'm not particularly hungry, I'll just have a cup of tea, or decaf, in my usual style. If I feel hungry; depending how hungry I am, I'll either add more milk to whatever I'm having (Personally, I don't care for cream in coffee or tea), or if hungrier than that, I'll have a decaf latte.

A milky drink will have a few carbs, but fewer, and for me, kinder than a sarnie. I have the additional wrinkle of having to be gluten-free.

We irregularly, regularly (if that makes sense) go to a particular place to watch sport. Their eatery menu is sarnie, panini, pasties, sausage rolls or cake. My OH might have a sausage roll, or whatever he cares for on the day, but I'll have a latte.

It's not perfect, but it deals with any hunger I might have.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today yes.

That doesn’t sound much food. Try and check the electrolytes. Didn’t you feel lousy last time you stopped the meds for a while but recovered fairly quickly?.?

I’m still not so sure about those carb killer bars. The maltitol in them still spikes me. Are you really sure they don’t you?

Lunches. I pack a mini picnic if I can to avoid the issue. Cheese slices and cold meats rolled up with a pickle and tiny mayo blob. I buy a pot of egg mayo or tuna pouch if I’m stuck and carry a teaspoon in my bag. In a cafe if I can’t avoid using them I’ll either not eat and just drink, or maybe have an omelette or cooked breakfast (assuming I haven’t already had one). Or I’ll have a couple of jacket potato fillings (cheese/chilli/eggs etc) without the spud, or a salad. A couple of sausages on their own etc. Or I’ve explained I can’t eat bread and could they just plate up some of the fillings for me instead.

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Easier said then done , of course you can feel full and your probably right about pounds dropping off.

but you don't feel satisfied without having a whole meal . And to go thru that for one month by month 2 you'll be dying for some bread butter cheese junk food all of at once until you feel satisfied..

I guess you have to be a very strong and determined person to just only eat meat every day for the rest of your life
Not sure if I am a very strong and determined person but I ate low carb (<20gm/day) low cal (600-800Kcal/day) for 20 weeks up to Christmas Eve before re-eating phase, (well others said I just scoffed food over Christmas - New Year) and my weight dropped from 115kg to 95Kg. Hb test in July was 53 and down to 39 in Feb and holding at 39 to June. Looking forward to next test in Oct! Since Christmas I have eaten aprox 2000Kcal/day but kept Carb to 50 gm max and weight is very slowly creeping up again to 98 kg so just starting another low cal/low carb period. I actually have more hunger pangs when I eat 2000Kcal than after a week or two on 600 Kcal. Mind the hardest part of low cal is limiting the milk in my 20 mugs of strong coffee a day!

Reactions: 1spuds

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t think I could eat only meat. I already get to the point where I’m meated out.

If you’re interested in the general approach of minimising carbs but don’t fancy just meat, you could try a broader definition of carnivore - i.e. eating only animal based products. For me that means meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, cream. For weight loss I’d watch the amount of cheese/cream, but it allows a bit more variety.

Once your body is adapted you’ll more than meet energy requirements.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see why your weight has stalled. You are still carb loaded, I think you cannot tolerate the amount of carbs you are consuming. Could be the reason why you fatigued as well, the system is trying to deal with both carbs and fats. At the review, you can discuss your medication as you're limiting your fluids, which is not conducive to your lifestyle, plus being dehydrated will elevate your levels.

I think you need to seriously change some habits as this is an obstacle, to achieve your goal. You are eating on the hoof therefore making choices are effecting you.

Bananas are the worse choice as these will spike levels quickly and then crash, ive just looked at those killa bar ( i would not touch them with a barge pole) it is very hard to find the proper breakdown of ingredients. They are still high in carbs, its not just the sugars its total carbs and fillers. They have tapioca starch as well as reduced fat cocoa powder which will be carb loaded.
sarnies, paninis, untill you knock these on the head, then realistically you will struggle.

As suggested its quicker and easier to have Greek yogurt with berries, just have the side dishes in the cafe or just avoid going in them or just have a coffee.
There are soo many food choices on low carb you should not have any problem.
My weight has increased because of the carbs creeped in, I've just started to reduce them. it's hard when I live with carb loving people and constant being told I've got to eat carbs.
Write a proper diary with everything you are eating to help keep track.

Reactions: HSSS

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I can see why your weight has stalled. You are still carb loaded, I think you cannot tolerate the amount of carbs you are consuming. Could be the reason why you fatigued as well, the system is trying to deal with both carbs and fats. At the review, you can discuss your medication as you're limiting your fluids, which is not conducive to your lifestyle, plus being dehydrated will elevate your levels.

I think you need to seriously change some habits as this is an obstacle, to achieve your goal. You are eating on the hoof therefore making choices are effecting you.

Bananas are the worse choice as these will spike levels quickly and then crash, ive just looked at those killa bar ( i would not touch them with a barge pole) it is very hard to find the proper breakdown of ingredients. They are still high in carbs, its not just the sugars its total carbs and fillers. They have tapioca starch as well as reduced fat cocoa powder which will be carb loaded.
sarnies, paninis, untill you knock these on the head, then realistically you will struggle.

As suggested its quicker and easier to have Greek yogurt with berries, just have the side dishes in the cafe or just avoid going in them or just have a coffee.
There are soo many food choices on low carb you should not have any problem.
My weight has increased because of the carbs creeped in, I've just started to reduce them. it's hard when I live with carb loving people and constant being told I've got to eat carbs.
Write a proper diary with everything you are eating to help keep track.

The only time I eat on the hoof is when I’m out. Otherwise my food is meticulously planned.

I don’t eat sarnies etc unless I’m out. I don’t know it just feels weird to sit and only have a cup of tea for lunch. Especially if you meet people for lunch as part of the day. How do you avoid going in a cafe in you are meeting friends for lunch? I’d have to just not go out and see people. Then the diabetes is winning and I won’t let it.

The carb killas don’t seem to affect me. I have tested before and they are fine. Not all, but I tend to only have the mint ones.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only time I eat on the hoof is when I’m out. Otherwise my food is meticulously planned.

I don’t eat sarnies etc unless I’m out. I don’t know it just feels weird to sit and only have a cup of tea for lunch. Especially if you meet people for lunch as part of the day. How do you avoid going in a cafe in you are meeting friends for lunch? I’d have to just not go out and see people. Then the diabetes is winning and I won’t let it.

The carb killas don’t seem to affect me. I have tested before and they are fine. Not all, but I tend to only have the mint ones.

That my point about the sarnies, and eating out, I think its this which is derailing your aims. You say you are eating a low carb diet, possibly the carbs which you are having you may have a very low tolerance level.

headache

The MyFitnessPal app is what I've been using. It's not perfect but it's helping me stay in my carb and calorie allowance!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@Cana I usually have salad when out with friends or a naked burger with salad or an all day breakfast without beans, hash browns etc.