What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
5.4 this morning after 16 hours water only in preparatoin for a full liid profile requested by the GP as the results of the last one might have been 'erroneous'. Let's hope the error is in my favour....

Reactions: karen8967

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 - higher than I’m aiming for

Had a meal replacement shake last night as I didn’t want to cook. Blaming the sugar and carb content.
You're probably right but there's nothing wrong in 5.8.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps the wrong thread and not entirely on message for the house style herein but plenty to mull over. Real food seems to be at the heart of most messages about what is best for us. Interestingly, picks up on @Barba_Rossa implied about meal replacement so maybe not of topic. I also seem to remember @Viv19 and I had a PM chat around this and my own hobbyhorse re modern farming and food bearing no resemblance to traditional breeds, seeds and methods. I particularly liked the phrase locavore (says the man who eats plenty of avocados) - posh word for farmer's markets?
https://www.ted.com/talks/mark_bittman_on_what_s_wrong_with_what_we_eat/discussion

and

https://www.ted.com/talks/ann_cooper_talks_school_lunches#t-207147 US based but thrust of message definitely fits what I know of UK school meals in most cases.

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're probably right but there's nothing wrong in 5.8.
Agree nothing wrong with 5.8 fasting.
I always found BG levels dropped rapidly when using meal replacement shakes. Depends which make, I guess. Ones I used gave total of under 50g carbs a day. Maybe I should give them another go, as I had another 7.2 fasting this morning. o_O

Edit: Just to say, I prefer real low carb food, but somrthing is not working right at the moment. Also, I regard the meal replacements as ‘medicine / nutritional aids’ rather than food. After 15+ years of pre diabetes and T2, perhaps my fasting levels / HbA1c are as good as they are going to get? Maybe pancreas is giving up? Sometimes the tide cannot be held back, and acceptance is not failure, merely time to find an alternative way of coping. Though I hate the thought of more meds.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree nothing wrong with 5.8 fasting.
I always found BG levels dropped rapidly when using meal replacement shakes. Depends which make, I guess. Ones I used gave total of under 50g carbs a day. Maybe I should give them another go, as I had another 7.2 fasting this morning. o_O

Edit: Just to say, I prefer real low carb food, but somrthing is not working right at the moment. Also, I regard the meal replacements as ‘medicine / nutritional aids’ rather than food. After 15+ years of pre diabetes and T2, perhaps my fasting levels / HbA1c are as good as they are going to get? Maybe pancreas is giving up? Sometimes the tide cannot be held back, and acceptance is not failure, merely time to find an alternative way of coping. Though I hate the thought of more meds.
Don't think the Newcastle Diet worked for me but I think that was my naivety. Lived on homemade soup and light meals but didn't realise I needed to include a little fat. Only had one shake in the 8 weeks I was on it, think it was an atkins shake but was pleasantly surprised at how full I felt after it. I wasn't checking bloods at the time so don't know how it affected me. If it is ok to ask the question bearing in mind the theme of the thread and I don't want to derail, can you give me an idea of what your blood levels were at the time you were doing Newcastle Diet. Was thinking of trying a few shakes but frightened off by the level of carbs, but as you say they have a nutritional value.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.5 for me
FB_IMG_1547850787761.jpg

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7.2 for me this morning :bag: after a spike of 2.6 yesterday :stinkyfeet: :bigtears: my blood just doesn't seem to want to come down and to top it off I feel a bit ******, like I'm getting a cold :inpain:
Oh well, happy Saturday everyone! :D

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A better result this morning with a 6.8 I seem to be hovering ( nearly put hoovering then mind u that would be nice if you could "hoover up extra blood sugar "lol ) between high 6's and low 7's which isn't brilliant but it's an improvement on the 8's and 9's that I was having .