Access to refrigeration when travelling with insulin

Swillbos

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am very new to insulin and just trying to work out the practicalities of getting on with the rest of my life.

I am going to be travelling with intermittent access to refrigerator for a couple of months. I have bought some Frio cases and am confident about avoiding extremes of temperature. My question relates to supplies of unopened insulin. I plan to use the Frio for both the in-use and not-in-use supplies of insulin when travelling around, my question is should I refrigerate the unopened supplies whenever I get a chance, or is intermittent refrigeration in any way harmful compared to maintaining a more consistent temperature in the Frio? Or doesn't it make that much difference over the course of a couple of months?

Hope this makes sense, thanks!

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, when I have taken spare insulin on holiday in a Frio pouch and I come back, I have always put it back in the fridge. Mind you, my furthest trips were only to various European countries. I have seen advice that said destroying the unused insulin is best, as it may have been affected by heat, but I saw that after I had been replacing the unused insulin in my fridge for years. I would put the insulin back in a fridge whenever you can.

Reactions: Swillbos

Swillbos

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks @JMK1954 and @helensaramay for both your replies. Given that the manufacturers say insulin can be kept safely unrefrigerated for 28 days, (and I assume this will be a conservative estimate), it makes sense it should be able to withstand bit of shuffling backwards and forwards between Frio and fridge. My travel plans don't involve really hot countries, just a lot of moving around.

The first test will be cycling round Burgundian vineyards next week:) then we're away in Sept/Oct travelling round France and Spain without using air travel, so a lot of long bus and train journeys, hotel and apartment hopping. In Jan/Feb we have long-cherished plans to walk the Camino de Santiago, with further challenges of long-distance walking. I will definitely be brushing up my pharmacy lingo for those two trips! I retired a couple of months ago, and my plans did not factor in this sudden new insulin dependency. Your replies have given me confidence to just go for it, thank you!

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to help. Over time we all get more confident about dealing with slightly more unusual situations. You will too.

Reactions: Swillbos

Swillbos

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Already starting to understand more and gain confidence to get on with life. Bless and thank you x