Hypnotherapy/hynpobirthing and hypos

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I'm pregnant (have type 1) and this time want to try doing self-hypnosis as a method of pain relief given experience of my son's birth. I just suggested this to my husband after a session with the hypnotherapist and his major reservation is whether I'd be able to feel a hypo while in a trance state. Has anyone ever done anything like this and if so what was your experience with hypos?

CantThinkOfAUsername

tigger said:
I'm pregnant (have type 1) and this time want to try doing self-hypnosis as a method of pain relief given experience of my son's birth. I just suggested this to my husband after a session with the hypnotherapist and his major reservation is whether I'd be able to feel a hypo while in a trance state. Has anyone ever done anything like this and if so what was your experience with hypos?
I have visited a hypnotherapist in the past and always did a blood test immediately before going into the room because deep relaxation can cause the BS to lower.

This was quite deep hypnosis and far deeper than you could possibly get using self hypnosis. I could get myself quite deep using self hypnosis but not as far as the hypnotherapist could take me.

All I can suggest is you try before the day, short spells with blood test before and after. It will take some practice anyway so do some testing with your hubby present just in case. Start with short spells of a few minutes and then slowly lengthen them and keep checking how your BG responds.

I cannot really say whether it affects warning signs because my warning signs haven't been that noticeable for many years. It could make them more noticeable, especially if your primary sense is touch.

I therefore suggest that you try, increasing the time and monitoring your BS. It's important not to let your BG drop too far while pregnant. When you know how it affects you, you should know better how to handle it.

It might be worth visiting a hypnotherapist to get them to setup a trigger, although once you get into a light trance you can always deepen it. I setup my own trigger while I was in a deep trance while at the hypnotherapists and that worked very well for me.

I hope it works well for you.

Good luck

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Thanks for your response. I spoke to the hypnotherapist who said she could put triggers in and also do it to help increase night hypo awareness . Have you ever heard of this working ?

CantThinkOfAUsername

tigger said:
Thanks for your response. I spoke to the hypnotherapist who said she could put triggers in and also do it to help increase night hypo awareness . Have you ever heard of this working ?
I cannot say that I have heard about hypnosis helping hypo warnings. The hypnotherapist that I used didn't mention anything about it. She knew that I was diabetic because I made sure I told her and I did say before each session that I would join her in a couple a minutes after I tested my BS.

Unfortunately, due to other things and not maintaining practise, I forgot the trigger that I had set up, which makes it a lot more difficult to get into a trance. So a tip for you, keep practising or you will lose it. I used to be able to go into trance in a few seconds and in less than a minute I could be in quite a deep trance.

I did go back to the hypnotherapist to re-set up the trigger but the trance level she use was very light and shortly after leaving the office I had forgotten it :( The one I setup on an earlier visit was during a very deep trance and it stuck like glue for a very long time. Practising certainly helps but the trance depth that is used to set it up also helps considerably IMO. Maybe they don't want to make it too deep because they think it lessens the need for them.

You can deepen the trance but having a deep reference point does seem to speed it up considerably in my experience.

Learning about your primary sense and the importance it plays can also help when feeding back your experiences to deepen the trance. Every person gives special importance to one type of sense. The majority of people use either touch or sight based words with a small fraction using one the other three remaining senses.

If you listen to someone speak you can often pick up what their primary sense is by the words they use. If they make use of a lot of feeling based words when they communicate, such as "I can grasp what you are saying" and "I understand how you feel" then they are a touch based person. It takes more than one reference to find it out, they need to make use of the sense as a majority of their communication. The other big one is sight, "I see what you mean", "I can picture what you are saying", etc. The other senses are rarely used as primary senses but that is not to say that a small minority don't use them, those can be very difficult to pick up on it.

This comes naturally to good communicators, they use it to build rapport with people and may not be consciously aware of it. When dealing with a large amount of people, they might avoid using one sense so as not to alienate part of the audience. When speaking to one person, using the persons primary sense when communicating will help build rapport, finalise a sale, increase acceptance of an idea, etc, etc.

Your hypnotherapist is bound to have already worked out what yours is because it helps them build rapport and speed up the deepening of trance. It's one of the first things they are taught.

This is one of the things that I have learnt over the years, it forms part of my understanding of health which I have gone very deeply into. How emotions affect the body, what relaxation does and how it affects the nervous system. What actually prevents healing and what needs to be done to remove it.

There is a thread about curing Diabetes, "will there ever be a cure", which I will post to later. A hint just between you and me, I believe it already exists ;)

WhitbyJet

Tigger, have you tried to contact http://www.hypnobirthing.co.uk/, there is a forum on the site too. Perhaps if you call or email with all your questions someone there will be able to give you all the information that you need.

Enjoy this special time, a new little life growning inside you, bless. Hope all goes well for you and your family x