What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 after my 3rd 19hr fast this week.

Was really not surprised that it was a lot higher than yesterday as I had got really stressed out

Before the vet visit I was worried because doggie was licking his paw again and I was also worried by a little lump that had come up on his face. luckily paw was OK and healing well and just needed the damage claw clipping. Even better was that the lump was a little cyst and nothing to worry about.

So got home and settled down to a good few hours admin work on my computer before going off to teach classes.

I won't go into exactly how the day panned out but I got super stressed because I couldn't access files on one drive nor send emails. Turned out it was the router - should have thought of that first. New router being sent and this one temporarily fixed by switching off and resetting. Computer up and running but then I had to go to work.

So got home from work at 9pm and worked until 1pm to catch up - fuelled by caffeine.

Coffee this morning and then doggie walk. Just feeling a little tired.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.5 for me
FB_IMG_1547850787761.jpg

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 this morning, despite going out last night. Try as I might I can’t bring myself to give up the full fat coke on a Friday night out. But I figured if my numbers are mostly 6-8 most of the time hitting 12 for a short period one night a week shouldn’t be too bad.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.3 today

wow it rained a lot here yesterday! (guess the weather man got his yellow warning right :p) By the time I left the charity shop yesterday there were cascades of water falling from buildings all along the high street where the gutters weren't coping, a small river down the street and many of the low points of the road home were under water :sorry: Not surprising that we didn't get a lot of customers all things considered :hilarious:

Hope you good people weren't/aren't too badly affected by the power cuts I'm reading about :(

and I hope your day treats you kindly :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.4 this morning for no particular reason. I havent been as active this week so today will try and get out. Need to shop for a birthday present for a good friend so that should put a few miles on the clock. Had a dreadful nights sleep listening to the howling wind on top of the hill where we live. Can only imagine what it was like in Cornwall or the south coast. Hope you are all safe and well and as the weather spreads out it doesnt cause you any trouble. Have a good Saturday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Viv19

6.7 this morning after a strange night’s sleep- in two parts. I slept until about 3, finally gave up at about 4 and read for an hour. Then slept again till after 9.
I’m going to have to eat more carefully- the numbers are up and I don’t really know why. ‘Treats’ are out now until I get them sorted. I will have a go at making ianpspurs‘ bread today.
One of the reasons for poor sleep is that yesterday was 30C and it didn’t cool down to about 18 until the early hours. Right now it’s overcast at 24C. We seem to be sitting in acceptable weather while the poor uk is beaten up and washed out. No2 daughter down under has also been battered by rain with high winds, very strong gusts and cold temperatures for the past few days, hopefully improving tomorrow.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 this morning, despite going out last night. Try as I might I can’t bring myself to give up the full fat coke on a Friday night out. But I figured if my numbers are mostly 6-8 most of the time hitting 12 for a short period one night a week shouldn’t be too bad.

Life IS for LIVING @Fndwheelie , we're not robots so we will take our pleasures now and again which maybe is out of bounds normally.

But I'd probably avoid the coke and choose diet... Do you take it by itself or as a mixer.?

I've found my usual vodka mix fresh orange. Is now easily replaced by diet Indian tonic water..
Ice and s slice.. and very refreshing as well.

Have read that
( while your right it is only for a short while your elevated, and your control as reflected in your numbers is to be admitted, )
That damage is caused when our numbers move above 8mmol so maybe a little light reading might be of use ?
LINK

today Screenshot_2019-08-10-09-26-36-465_com.android.chrome.jpg

https://www.bloodsugar101.com/organ-damage-and-blood-sugar-level
The University of Utah neurologists found that patients who were not known to be diabetic, but who registered 140/mg or higher on the 2-hour sample taken during a glucose tolerance test were much more likely to have a diabetic form of neuropathy than those who had lower blood sugars. Even more telling, the researchers found that the length of time a patient had experienced this nerve pain correlated with how high their blood sugar had risen over 140 mg/dl on the 2-hour glucose tolerance test reading.

It is important to note that this study also showed that only the glucose tolerance test results corresponded to the incidence of neuropathy in these patients, not their fasting blood sugar levels or their results on the HbA1c test This is significant because most American doctors do not offer their patients glucose tolerance tests, only the fasting glucose and HbA1c tests that fail to diagnose these obviously damaging post-meal blood sugars.

140mg/dl = 7.8 mmol the units we use on meter

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 after my 3rd 19hr fast this week.

Was really not surprised that it was a lot higher than yesterday as I had got really stressed out

Before the vet visit I was worried because doggie was licking his paw again and I was also worried by a little lump that had come up on his face. luckily paw was OK and healing well and just needed the damage claw clipping. Even better was that the lump was a little cyst and nothing to worry about.

So got home and settled down to a good few hours admin work on my computer before going off to teach classes.

I won't go into exactly how the day panned out but I got super stressed because I couldn't access files on one drive nor send emails. Turned out it was the router - should have thought of that first. New router being sent and this one temporarily fixed by switching off and resetting. Computer up and running but then I had to go to work.

So got home from work at 9pm and worked until 1pm to catch up - fuelled by caffeine.

Coffee this morning and then doggie walk. Just feeling a little tired.

A bottomless basket of hugs for you @Krystyna23040
I hate those kind of computer days -frustrating, time wasting to work out and sort, and they fry the brain.
It’s a new day for you today!
Hopefully everything will be good.
More hugs...

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...a late night watching a film so not to bed until 02:30 then up at 07:30 still tired...a late (ish) breakfast with more coffee (goes without saying)...nothing much to do but listen to that rushing wind...cross my fingers the roof stays on & relax...woke to a 6.0

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Life IS for LIVING @Fndwheelie , we're not robots so we will take our pleasures now and again which maybe is out of bounds normally.

But I'd probably avoid the coke and choose diet... Do you take it by itself or as a mixer.?

I've found my usual vodka mix fresh orange. Is now easily replaced by diet Indian tonic water..
Ice and s slice.. and very refreshing as well.

Have read that
( while your right it is only for a short while your elevated, and your control as reflected in your numbers is to be admitted, )
That damage is caused when our numbers move above 8mmol so maybe a little light reading might be of use ?

LINK
U8hLzsF5rZGiNsuG6
Your link is very good reading @jjraak
Each time I read something I learn something new. And maybe a slightly new direction to to take...
Thank you :):happy:

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 today. Off out to Heligan for breakfast in a minute.
@Cumberland so sorry about your hypos all night I hope today is better, must be exhausting.
@ianpspurs hope you get better soon too
@jjraak I’m glad you are getting your mo jo back
@trick60 I trust you didn’t join that queue of cat lovers?
Enjoy Heligan and breakfast. Thank you for the good wishes. Slightly worrying times here and not looking forward to Thursday much. Temporarily giving up testing but will be a lurker here.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your link is very good reading @jjraak
Each time I read something I learn something new. And maybe a slightly new direction to to take...
Thank you :):happy:

EVERYDAY's a School day on the DCUK for me @gennepher ...:D
nearly every day i learn another little titbit of information to help me understand the puzzle of Type 2

all i do is pass on the knowledge that was passed to me,
in the hope it helps someone else, like it helped me...:bookworm:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Enjoy Heligan and breakfast. Thank you for the good wishes. Slightly worrying times here and not looking forward to Thursday much. Temporarily giving up testing but will be a lurker here.

sorry to hear your unwell @ianpspurs
must have missed a post or two.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,
and good luck for Thursday (presume you and not missus ?)

but good luck either way to both of you.

Reactions: Viv19

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak thanks for all that info, tbh I kinda thought that if I’m low (6-8) most of the time it won’t hurt as a one off. I think I’d take the Diet Coke if my migraines weren’t so keen to get involved as soon as I have any diet or zero drink because of the sweetener used. Being that I don’t drink alcohol, and my Friday nights out are to a local community centre that doesn’t have a hugely stocked bar, I might have to just cut down going out to once a month or something, and be prepared to pay the price long term.
Edit: on the plus side, it seems I can still get my hab1c down enough with occasional spikes, and that’s what they are basing my diabetes control on for my operation.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry to hear your unwell @ianpspurs
must have missed a post or two.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,
and good luck for Thursday (presume you and not missus ?)

but good luck either way to both of you.
Thanks mate. It is me so thanks for the best wishes. Never a good time for things like this but getting very close to moving time with all sorts of outbuildings to clear but 2 boys and a mate are doing plenty today. Fortunately, plenty of sport to keep my mind occupied. Take care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak thanks for all that info, tbh I kinda thought that if I’m low (6-8) most of the time it won’t hurt as a one off. I think I’d take the Diet Coke if my migraines weren’t so keen to get involved as soon as I have any diet or zero drink because of the sweetener used. Being that I don’t drink alcohol, and my Friday nights out are to a local community centre that doesn’t have a hugely stocked bar, I might have to just cut down going out to once a month or something, and be prepared to pay the price long term.
Edit: on the plus side, it seems I can still get my hab1c down enough with occasional spikes, and that’s what they are basing my diabetes control on for my operation.

It's a delicate balancing act we all do.
eat to the meter as per normal but we all go off piste sometimes.
certainly wasn't picking you up on that..:)

Life can be hard ...a little me time keeps us going.
so i'd keep it up, if it was me.

i wonder if you could experiment at home with other drinks (shop bought) and find one that suits you better.?
it would then be an ask, but you never know IF the centre might permit you to leave a bottle of two behind bar those nights..?
seems to be for a good reason, ...and ...don't ask, don't get..;)

I'd agree on the op..that would be my focus as well if it was me, and your thinking is probably correct in that.

good luck, hope it happens soon and all goes well.