Hi, newly diagnosed....

Nichola211

Hi, I have recently been told I am diabetic. I'm 32 and have 3 children each time I had gestational diabetes. I am waiting for some results (urine test for insulin) the doctors says it's odd I have it. My blood results were -Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised 50 mmol. Not overly sure what that means if I'm honest. Although I have gain a lot of weight recently and my diet isn't the best. I've started eating fruit and salads etc. As I work in an office I'm not very active. Can anyone recommend what sort of things I should be eating? I hear egg is good? Sorry for the long post this is all new to me! Thank you all in advance x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi :)

with a hba1c of 50 it would be more likely for you to be type 2 I would think and caught relatively quickly

what kind of fruits are you eating? a lot can be packed full of carbs which is what you'll have to watch out for now so better to stick with the likes of raspberries, blackberries, strawberries etc the lower carb fruits

so you're ideally wanting to reduce carbs? so things like potatoes, rice/pasta, bread etc

eggs are carb free along with cheeses, cold meats etc
xx

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My blood results were -Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised 50 mmol. Not overly sure what that means if I'm honest.
Welcome to the forum @Nichola211. In the UK non-diabetic is below 42 IFCC, pre-diabetic is 42-47, and diabetic is 48 and above. So you are in the diabetic range, but not very high.

It's good that your doctor has arranged further tests to confirm what type of diabetes you have, but it is likely to be Type 2.
If so you should be able to reduce your blood glucose by avoiding or lowering your consumption not just of sugary food and drink, but also starchy carbohydrates like bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. These turn to sugar quite quickly in our bodies so aren't good for Type 2s.

Have a read round the forum and ask any questions you want to, the people on here are friendly and supportive and you will get a lot of good advice.

Reactions: catinahat

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. I'm also a newly diagnosed diabetic. I also had gestational diabetes though that was a long time ago.

This forum is very helpful and has so much information on it. The biggest piece of information is that it is not simply sugar that you will need to watch out for it is all carbohydrates. This includes all fruit.

Anyway there is a lot of information, guidance and support to be found here. Feel free to ask questions- vent whatever you need. There are amazing wonderful people here. You are most welcome.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have recently been told I am diabetic. I'm 32 and have 3 children each time I had gestational diabetes. I am waiting for some results (urine test for insulin) the doctors says it's odd I have it. My blood results were -Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised 50 mmol. Not overly sure what that means if I'm honest. Although I have gain a lot of weight recently and my diet isn't the best. I've started eating fruit and salads etc. As I work in an office I'm not very active. Can anyone recommend what sort of things I should be eating? I hear egg is good? Sorry for the long post this is all new to me! Thank you all in advance x
The doc says it's odd you have it, after having gestational diabetes 3 times? That's kind of a sign on the wall right there. Ah well. I was in my 30's when diagnosed, and with the history you have, it's probably T2, though checking to make certain's always a good thing. In any case, salads are a good move, but fruit, not so much... Fructose is sugar too, and will spike blood glucose. Berries are alright, especially if taken in with something fatty like full fat greek yoghurt or clotted cream or something. But other than that, steer clear. As you're just barely crossed into the diabetic zone you should be able to get your bloodsugars under control pretty quick, methinks... In other words, you'll be fine. A T2 from here on in, but considering you're willing to change your diet, you're well on your way to becoming a well controlled one. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ should help, it's a bit of a quick-start guide, and you might want to read Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code, as well as checking this forum's website (diabetes.co.uk, NOT the .org one), and dietdoctor.com. Loads of free info on those, and you'll hit the ground running. ;)

You can do this...!
Jo

Nichola211

Thank you all so much for your replies I’m going to have a read through some of the links and see what’s what. I do eat a lot bread (multi seeded) and the fruit is mostly oranges apples and banana. I do need to cut down on potatoes as we eat them a lot! Thank you all so much x

Reactions: Caeseji and Prem51

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck on the start of your journey. You will get some great advice and support on here. Cutting the bread and potatoes down will help.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all so much for your replies I’m going to have a read through some of the links and see what’s what. I do eat a lot bread (multi seeded) and the fruit is mostly oranges apples and banana. I do need to cut down on potatoes as we eat them a lot! Thank you all so much x
Hi again,

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. The bread, multi-seed or otherwise, is problematic, but if you absolutely can't do without, there's LivLife, which is low carb. And there's more low carb breads, but as I'm Dutch and don't get your brands here, I'm not very helpful there. Burgen bread? I dunno. A quick search around the forum should get you some results though! As for the fruit you're eating, there's this visual guide from dietdoctor.com. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits This is what it is per 100 grams, mind you, not per fruit, so that could easily be more, even double. But you can see, that banana's are not the best idea. Stick with strawberries and their kin. ;) As for potatoes, I hear celeriac's good as a replacement, but I just usually go with cauliflower rice. Versatile little veg, that one.

You'll figure it out. Good luck!
Jo