ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
So I received my letter and I've been offered a place to do DAFNE 2.0 called SWITCHED. I guess it's the hospital's choice for a carb counting course. As I'm reading through it, they said reply ASAP but it doesn't say how, so I'm guessing call them to say I'm going? But they've included a blood test and on the slip.. They've ticked the gender box as male :arghh::rolleyes::hilarious: So I told my bf that I'm a male. But last time I checked I didn't have a penis.

Hooray. I'm lucky to have got a cancelled place for mine so replied within minutes. I don't carb count. I start with a known meal and inject mainly based on the arrows on my CGM. Small amounts. Corrections I guess. I've been told corrections aren't DAFNE. It will be great to have some sort of proper training. DAFNE 2 sounds fancier than just DAFNE. I wonder if they're condoning corrections outside meal times now people have CGM? Just like a pump. You will have to let me know.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 just like the husband! He wouldn’t travel to see a bird just enjoys wherever he is at the time. This one dropped in his lap, though 500 meters from the boundary that his group record in. His recording site is within walking distance of our house and brings him lots of pleasure without going far.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
@MeiChanski . I feel that @helensaramay has hit the nail on the head with dressing gown etiquette.
If you really want to get on in life the get a candlewick dressing gown.:):).
Kids today......don’t know there born.:):)

And the bedspread to go with it!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hooray. I'm lucky to have got a cancelled place for mine so replied within minutes. I don't carb count. I start with a known meal and inject mainly based on the arrows on my CGM. Small amounts. Corrections I guess. I've been told corrections aren't DAFNE. It will be great to have some sort of proper training. DAFNE 2 sounds fancier than just DAFNE. I wonder if they're condoning corrections outside meal times now people have CGM? Just like a pump. You will have to let me know.

By reading the leaflet, it is carb counting based on the food you are about to eat.
I’m assuming it’ll be similar to DAFNE- no corrections until you’ve given your insulin that window to work. I know from my libre, I’ll run high then drop. If I were to correct, I might hypo. Sometimes arrows on my libre isn’t quite accurate. I remember my libre said I was 6.5 going stable, an hr later it was 5.5 still stable and in the end it was actually dropping.
But the difference is, as my dsn said, it’s a personalised ratio for everyone and the dietitian is a type 1 like us. I do like to know more about different ratios and see how it is for everyone.
I know DAFNE will be updated soon to include protein. I don’t know about this course, but I’ll let everyone know. Also it’ll also be interesting since some of us have libres now. :)

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unlike night gowns, Dressing gowns are not worn in bed and come to greatest value during the day (although they could be worn at night).
Dressing gowns come into their own after a "tough" night. When you finally decide to leave bed but the closest you can get to dressing is to put your arms through a couple of holes and wrap the rest around yourself en route to the sofa in front of the telly.
Put it this way, himself is wearing his summer dressing gown as I type. And yes, he has one for summer, one for winter and one for autumn /spring.

Will it be like drinking wine with my dressing gown on kind of day? My bf has one but it’s the winter kind - thick and soft. But I had a google and the silky one looks very nice in red ;)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
@MeiChanski - it needs to be long enough that when you’re curled up on the sofa, it keeps your feet snuggly.
I have my puppies for that job. I guess that's why I don't own a dressing-gown. Sounds positively Victorian. Maybe it's because I grew up in a hot climate. :)

Reactions: porl69 and hh1

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have my puppies for that job. I guess that's why I don't own a dressing-gown. Sounds positively Victorian. Maybe it's because I grew up in a hot climate. :)
I only have one for the short period between getting out of the bath and hoping upstairs to put clothes/pyjamas on - or maybe an extra layer over PJs on a winter evening. I find the sleeves annoy me too much to just wear it around the house in the day, I’d go with a hoodie instead.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Jeesy-peeps, folks, this was an effing disaster.

I'm on the tail end of a two week staycation, got up late and decided to pop out to a place which usually does fairly classy (salmon and samphire, natch) thin sourdough pizza, but it seems that the chef has changed, so they're firing out much thicker stuff.

So, I turn up, having a general awareness of the serving times there so I can figure out the pre-bolusing.

Only to find that, for the first time in a long time, I've, erm, forgotten to bring my pen with me.

So, what to do, cancel the order and go home to get the pen, or eat and inject later?

Reckoned that I might as well wing it a bit, eat the meal, my pen was only about 15 mins away, so a quick dash home and the slow absorbing pizza effect can cut me a bit of slack here.

Hmm, not the case, huge bump up to 16, but have dragged it back down to 5'ish through creative use of insulin and beer, so the day hasn't been totally spoiled...

Screenshot_2019-08-10-21-48-25.png

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Jeesy-peeps, folks, this was an effing disaster.

I'm on the tail end of a two week staycation, got up late and decided to pop out to a place which usually does fairly classy (salmon and samphire, natch) thin sourdough pizza, but it seems that the chef has changed, so they're firing out much thicker stuff.

So, I turn up, having a general awareness of the serving times there so I can figure out the pre-bolusing.

Only to find that, for the first time in a long time, I've, erm, forgotten to bring my pen with me.

So, what to do, cancel the order and go home to get the pen, or eat and inject later?

Reckoned that I might as well wing it a bit, eat the meal, my pen was only about 15 mins away, so a quick dash home and the slow absorbing pizza effect can cut me a bit of slack here.

Hmm, not the case, huge bump up to 16, but have dragged it back down to 5'ish through creative use of insulin and beer, so the day hasn't been totally spoiled...

View attachment 34805
So, how late did you get up? Are you saying you had pizza for breakfast at 3PM??? If so, that's one hard core staycation!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So, how late did you get up? Are you saying you had pizza for breakfast at 3PM??? If so, that's one hard core staycation!

Well spotted, Antje, good to know we've got mods who can read cgm traces properly!!

Yep, I'm a bit of a night owl and getting up late on holidays is normal for me, a 3pm breakfast isn't unusual.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well spotted, Antje, good to know we've got mods who can read cgm traces properly!!

Yep, I'm a bit of a night owl and getting up late on holidays is normal for me, a 3pm breakfast isn't unusual.
I have dinner at 3pm too, so pretty normal to some extent. :hilarious:

Reactions: Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I ask does anyone else get annoyed at 0.5 units? Some times it's too much, some times it's great and some times it's not enough. Do I just suck it up and treat it when I hypo?

Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning, yesterday was a bit of ' thinking about the past and life' which, sometimes are not good, especially when you act upon something,that is best left alone but feeling more positive today and having a day out with family which I am really looking forward to, as the weather is more settled today, so finger's crossed rain, wind, gales, sleet and snow, hold off for a few hours :rolleyes:
Happy Sunday everyone :)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning friends, a bit of a hypo morning, 3.2. I guess diabetes can't make it's mind up, it's like Katy Perry - you're hot and you're cold... :hilarious:

Reactions: SueJB and karen8967