ElizaChota

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin. (Takes over my life)
So I finally got a sort of diagnosis. I have gastroparesis, and it's "borderline" So basically my food isn't digesting as fast as it's supposed too. So when the food finally reaches my stomach that's when the sugars spike. At 4 in the morning my blood sugar was 18.0 and when the nurse finally came at 6 am it went up to 18.9 and she made me wait till breakfast to get my insulin.

The doctor that's taking care of me here practically blamed me for the high sugars even though I have only eaten 25% of my meals when they come. And I don't have snacks, and they have me on a diabetic diet here. I've never eaten anything outside of the hospital, so explain this to me doc. How can I be making my sugars high when you portion out my food and choose what I eat?
I've also told her that my diabetes team outside of the hospital say that my pancreas doesn't work properly. She just treats me like I don't know anything about diabetes.
These past few days, I've been on I.V antibiotics and I.V magnesium and calcium. I've been taking gravol and morphine to help with the nausea and the vomiting and pain I've been feeling.
Also I've lost 24 pounds in two-three weeks. Doctors are concerned about that, but not too concerned.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
whoa..that's not good @ElizaChota

i like that has a diagnosis, but the care doesn't sound the best.
don't they have bedside manners anymore.

Tough days, but they forge in us a little steel.

you have that, just stick to your guns, they'll get a grip on this soon
then you can start making your better at home.

Take care.
hugs for the hassles.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

ElizaChota

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whoa..that's not good @ElizaChota

i like that has a diagnosis, but the care doesn't sound the best.
don't they have bedside manners anymore.

Tough days, but they forge in us a little steel.

you have that, just stick to your guns, they'll get a grip on this soon
then you can start making your better at home.

Take care.
hugs for the hassles.

All my nurses are usually good, just not last nights nurse. And my doctor is just UGGHHHH. She doesn't take me seriously. But yes, I'm glad that she reached a diagnosis. And hopefully she sends me home tomorrow like she's been saying AALLLLL WEEK. The doctor said she's going to try a medication to try to get a handle on my gastroparesis. She didn't tell me what the medication is because she never tells me anything, she just orders things. But thank you for your kind words. And I'll stop complaining now. :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well.... i wouldn't stop just yet.

Mum and dad in and out of hospital umpteen times when a little older.

' THEY' always spoke or tomorrow, we'll let you go home tomorrow

and some days they were true to their word.

but the weekends...:wideyed:

nope, no sirree..never anyone about to authorise the release,
and block nurses won't take that upon themselves.. it needs a doctor to sign off.

Might be different in canada, but for us.(uk) ..never happened despite them saying it would at many weekends :sorry:.

Good luck.
hope i'm very wrong.

Reactions: Nooch1

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
My first reaction is why on earth do they have your insulin?

I have gastroparesis, the medication prescribed is a proton-pump inhibitor (mine is omeprazole, there are others), basically it slows the stomach acid production until the food gets there. For me it was marvellous, eliminated heartburn and indigestion and drastically reduced vomiting.

Have you noticed that the time delay depends on the consistency of the food you eat? It does for me. Juice - no delay, soup - tiny delay, sandwich - maybe a couple of hours, mashed potato - half a day later...

Don't worry about complaining, you need to practise to make your voice heard.

ElizaChota

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My first reaction is why on earth do they have your insulin?

I have gastroparesis, the medication prescribed is a proton-pump inhibitor (mine is omeprazole, there are others), basically it slows the stomach acid production until the food gets there. For me it was marvellous, eliminated heartburn and indigestion and drastically reduced vomiting.

Have you noticed that the time delay depends on the consistency of the food you eat? It does for me. Juice - no delay, soup - tiny delay, sandwich - maybe a couple of hours, mashed potato - half a day later...

Don't worry about complaining, you need to practise to make your voice heard.

Yeah, I just got maxeron. Not really helping with the digestion right now. I'm still feeling sick and my stomach is doing flip after flip. And a lot of stomach pain. And I have Pantoprazole to help with the heart burn. Yeah. My nurse just made me eat a peanut butter toast with banana and I'm feeling so freaking sick. But I guess they just want to ensure that my sugar doesn't drop. As I just got 32 units of Tresiba and 11 units of Humalog. And they have my insulin because I'm in the hospital and therefore the hospital gets to administer the insulin.

ElizaChota

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Losing 10 Kgs that quickly @ElizaChota ? I would indeed be concerned.

Yeah. It was like I have DKA again. But they keep doing tests and they say it's negative for ketones. Which is a good thing, but I guess the gastroparesis and all the vomiting at home and at the hospital have made me lose all the weight.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You certainly don't need to lose any more. That much is certain

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm pleased they have finally got to the bottom of what's happening. I hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: 1spuds

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Peanut butter and banana, sticky foods that don't move fast and will take ages to reach the stomach. Oh boy. If they feel the need to feed you again, see if you can get yogurt, or even fruit.

" And they have my insulin because I'm in the hospital and therefore the hospital gets to administer the insulin". Umm no. In fact a huge great whopping big NO. They have no right to take ANY of your medicines off you, the most they can do is insist your medicine is kept in a lockable container which they have to provide. But for insulin in particular, who would you prefer administers it - you, with lots of experience in how to adjust doses to suit your body, - or a nurse who may never have treated a diabetic before?

I hope you're feeling better and they let you go.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pleased they have finally got to the bottom of what's happening. I hope you feel better soon.
Agree.They are finally doing something.FINALLY something on the diagnosis front.You are a challenging case.It looks like finally they have some ideas.Heres hoping they get this nailed down and that you start feeling better.
I wouldnt be in a hurry to leave,but I get why you want to.In USA its the opposite,they cant send you home fast enough,they want you out! I would stay until they figured out the whole thing and send me home with a working body.Of course i dont know what your life requires if you can do the time.
Best wishes Eliza :cat: HUGS!

Last edited:

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
" And they have my insulin because I'm in the hospital and therefore the hospital gets to administer the insulin". Umm no. In fact a huge great whopping big NO. They have no right to take ANY of your medicines off you,

I hope you're feeling better and they let you go.
Thats interesting.In the USA you do not self administer meds while in the hospital.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Thats interesting.In the USA you do not self administer meds while in the hospital.
So, if you refuse to hand over your insulin, do they refuse to treat you? I would have thought having paid for your own insulin/drugs that they would be your property.

Obviously the hospital is going to be in charge of iv drugs, and restricted stuff like morphine.

Reactions: 1spuds

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, if you refuse to hand over your insulin, do they refuse to treat you? I would have thought having paid for your own insulin/drugs that they would be your property.

Obviously the hospital is going to be in charge of iv drugs, and restricted stuff like morphine.
The attitude is how do we treat you when we have no idea what meds you are self administering?Example,you are DKA in intensive care and your friends are smuggling in McDonalds? Or you are on a medical floor receiving pain meds or other powerful drugs and self administering...you will have a choice....give em up or get out.

When you are admitted we inventory all your belongings and what isnt acceptable is taken away and locked up.Untested electrical devices.Cigarettes and lighters.Large amounts of money unless you sign a waiver,and ALL drugs.

We arent going to accept liability when you are are working against us and we dont have the time to play games with you.

With insulin your Dr will order your basal insulin and put you on a sliding scale for your short acting insulins,which we will test and administer.If,outside standard testing times you dont feel right,we will test you.If results are abnormal we will call Dr and treat you as prescribed by Dr.

You will find it much more difficult the next time you come into ER and have been playing with us and need an ICU bed....likely you will spend your whole visit lying on a gurney in ER.

Next time chances are you will go elsewhere and grace them with your presence.

ICU beds,and general med floor beds for that matter, are prized and wont be wasted on somebody playing games.

Last edited:

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow sounds like you have had a bad time of it! How long since you were first DX'd? I assume you have control over your own insulin even whilst in Hospital? In that case why not just handle all the Diabetes care yourself whilst the docs handle the other things, assuming you had it under control beforehand you know what works for you and are definitely better placed to know how it feels, and can prove with BG results to back up your position. In the UK I did this recently when re-admitted to Hospital for a coronary issue, I simply stated I would handle the diabetes/insulin and they had to agree! In the end it saves the nurses all sorts of time/issues as believe it or not over here TWO qualified medical professionals have to check an insulin dose before giving it to someone where as I can do my own without it needing to be re-checked!
Incidentally nice to find someone else with the same birthday (different year obviously!) hopefully speak soon and good luck!